Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
Seth Swoboda

Default Help identify these distributors and coil

Can you guys identify the year of application for these distributors and coil?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dist 1.jpg (63.9 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg dist 2.jpg (73.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg coil 1.jpg (20.3 KB, 172 views)
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Help identify these distributors and coil

three hole coil is from 32-36, two hole coil is from 36 to 41.......... Oblong coil was one year only 1936. Just send them to us for a trade program??
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
Seth Swoboda

I have many more helmet type distributors and 2 bolt crab types. I just pulled these out of one box. They were tagged just as you described them Bubba. I didn't trust the tags. I will be needing the 1940 type rebuilt. I'll get with you then. Thanks again for your help, you never disappoint.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

On the 2-screw hole '37-41...look at the rear where the shaft and drive tab are. If you see a stamped "68" it is '37-40 with the same advance curve as introduced in 1936 on the uncommon 68 distributor that fits the coil in last picture. If you see an "11" there you have the quicker advance curve used 1941-48 and will pick up a little bit of extra pep for your motor. That curve was added to the earlier distrib for 1941 and carried on into the new distributor in '42, and also that advance unit became the parts counter replacement for '37-40.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
Seth Swoboda

Good info Bruce. What kind of service do these helmet distributors provide? I have never built a prewar V8 with a helmet distributor but I will be soon. I have plenty of experience with the two bolt crab type.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The '37-41 use same points as crab and if 11A use same advance. Stuff I don't like... good plastic parts not easy to find, no idea if any good repros exist, and due to bulk you can't just whip the distributor out in a minute to work on it due to belts and stuff in the way.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
jetmek

Not only what Bruce said but after you done fighting to keep the wires in caps and in the right holes and hold it all together to install ...just make sure to have beer handy
Old 06-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
COE Dan

Seth,

Just rebuilt my '34 pickup distributor. Like you, I'm more experienced with the crab style. Found out my '34 has the later 37-41 two-screw-coil design. I didn't have the correct 32-36 housing so I just went with the younger one. I put the 11A innards in it for better performance. Key note: you really need a distributor machine to set them correctly. I did my crab type manually with satisfactory results but the helmet type aren't as easy manually. Fortunately, I found someone nearby with an original Ford service dept distributor machine. As it is not mine, I can't volunteer its use. PM me if you're interested in me asking him if you'd like to do it yourself.

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
vtwinsideways

Seth, thanks so much for starting this post! Answered a bunch of questions I had not got around to asking yet but need to know. Luke
Old 06-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
36Bill

What is the 40b distributor with the 3 screw top for? Would the 11a be better for a stock '36?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
Seth Swoboda

All of my 37-41 distributors have the "68" stamped on the rear. I just bought a V8 parts collection from another collector. I don't have it home yet, hopefully I will find one with the quicker advance curve in there.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
lgndlt5

Greetings Bubba. I hope you are doing well. I need a replacement distributor for a 36 221 stock. I am hoping that you may have one available rebuilt for exchange. Car sat since fall 2019 in cold garage during serious illness and pandemic tried to start after new fuel pump now no spark. ( of course….I am desperate due to impending Wisconsin winter) what else is new. Illness remains but slightly improved. Is there any way to help me with this soon. I know you are always getting requests. Thank you for any reply. Be well. John sullivan. 847-275-4841. [email protected]. Any contact is appreciated. I struggle with the barn IM’s. God bless. Sorry to sound so desperate!
lgndlt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgndlt5 View Post
Greetings Bubba. I hope you are doing well. I need a replacement distributor for a 36 221 stock. I am hoping that you may have one available rebuilt for exchange. Car sat since fall 2019 in cold garage during serious illness and pandemic tried to start after new fuel pump now no spark. ( of course….I am desperate due to impending Wisconsin winter) what else is new. Illness remains but slightly improved. Is there any way to help me with this soon. I know you are always getting requests. Thank you for any reply. Be well. John sullivan. 847-275-4841. [email protected]. Any contact is appreciated. I struggle with the barn IM’s. God bless. Sorry to sound so desperate!

Igndlt5, sent you a private message on this

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #14
Ron_r1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
Seth,

Just rebuilt my '34 pickup distributor. Like you, I'm more experienced with the crab style. Found out my '34 has the later 37-41 two-screw-coil design. I didn't have the correct 32-36 housing so I just went with the younger one. I put the 11A innards in it for better performance. Key note: you really need a distributor machine to set them correctly. I did my crab type manually with satisfactory results but the helmet type aren't as easy manually. Fortunately, I found someone nearby with an original Ford service dept distributor machine. As it is not mine, I can't volunteer its use. PM me if you're interested in me asking him if you'd like to do it yourself.

Dan
I found this you tube video that's pretty helpful on setting them up with a Sun machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqUH2ZnSSY
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #15
rockfla

Actually.....AS for what years these distributors fit, YES the two on the left WILL work on 1932......BUT.....IF accuracy is what you are seeking......THEY are NOT 1932 Distributors as pictured and the appropriate 1932 tall coil. Actually the one distributor in my picture on the left is a reproduction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32DistributorROrigRepro.jpg (31.2 KB, 34 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote