Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
WQ59B

Default Dipstick question

Have (as far as I know) an un-rebuilt '46-48 59AB 239, with this dipstick. All stock (with a few older parts, such as the diver's helmet- might have been from the original truck: 1940). No oil filter.

Someone in the past was rather vehement about re-stamping the stick. Level is just shy of the new mark at 4 quarts.

Any opinions of the new mark, the 4 quarts, or if I should run 4.5 qrts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0815.jpg (34.6 KB, 54 views)
WQ59B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:23 AM   #2
34PKUP

Default Re: Dipstick question

Obviously the wrong tube/indicator.
If when filled with 4 qts it's shy of the mark then just make a new mark at that point.
There is no reason to over fill it.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:50 AM   #3
Mart

If you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, fill it with 4 quarts and see if you get any oil pressure dropoff when cornering sportily. Uphill too if possible. See if you get any dropoff after 10 mins at what you would consider highway speed (60mph ish).

If you do see any pressure reduction that recovers after slowing or going straight ahead, then the level is too low and you can add some and see where it comes on the stick.

If all seems well with it set to 4 quarts then you know where that is on the stick and you can monitor it and maintain it at that level.

Overfilling should be avoided, as should allowing the level to drop too far (for obvious reasons).

I had the two scenarios I described above in two of my cars and had to drain, refill with a known quantity and remark the stick. That is probably what a previous owner did in your case.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
WQ59B

Well, its the 2-ton COE, so cornering sportily and 60 MPH is beyond reach. On initial start-up, mechanical ‘thermometer’ gauge shows PSI in the low 30s. That will drop (at idle) to the low 20s once warmed up. Not enough seat time yet to report on at-speed pressures.

I read a number of discussions here on proper oil capacity, with the 2 camps divided between 4 & 5 qrts WITH filter, which makes me wonder on proper capacity without one.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
WQ59B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I had the two scenarios I described above in two of my cars and had to drain, refill with a known quantity and remark the stick. That is probably what a previous owner did in your case.
I just changed the oil last month, let it drain a good half hour while doing other tasks, and put 4 qrts back in. Next-day level (after idling to warm the prior day) was about 1/8-in below the new mark... so not sure what the PO did here. I don't see a 'problem', just looking for some reassurance.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
big job

OK my fresh 59A I put 5 qts per orange engine book. My glove box manual from a 1942 says no filter 4 qts. I put the oil in the valve chamber so all nooks and crannies are
full and valves guides etc. I spun the cam with a drill no pressure five more qts oil
press 60 psi spun with drill, check oil full. Since I have 3000 miles and it still needs
5 qts. so whats it going to be. this is original, nobody messed with dip sticks. but my
later F6 Trucks 5qts plus one for the filter. Then my F8 is 9qts and one more for filter.
crazy Sam
big job is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

The tube that holds the dipstick is a 1.2: nf thread. Go to the junk yard a get a modern dipstick with a nice yellow handle. Get a piece of 1/2" thin wall tubing and thread it into the pan , mark it for a convenient location and cut it off and bend it into position. On you next oil change you can mark your stick
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The tube that holds the dipstick is a 1.2: nf thread. Go to the junk yard a get a modern dipstick with a nice yellow handle. Get a piece of 1/2" thin wall tubing and thread it into the pan , mark it for a convenient location and cut it off and bend it into position. On you next oil change you can mark your stick
The yellow handle makes sense (I have one) but a yellow band around the tube makes more sense (so you can find the hole )