Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
djuby1

Default Tail light / Switch Issues

I recently installed LED lights on a 1931 Victoria. I installed all new wiring for the headlights and cowl lights but not the rear or brake lights. I also installed resistors on the Headlights in order for both of them to light up properly.

Issue 1: At the 7:00 clock position both cowl, running and tail lights light up. But the passenger side tail light is much brighter than the driver side. Why?

No issues at the 5:00 Position except for the same problem in Issue One. All light light up.

Issue 2: At the 4 position the Headlights light up but the tail light are not operational. Why?

The turn signals and brake lights perform their intended function. No Issues

Note: All lights are LED except for the cowl lights and they are incandescent.

Is this a bad light switch or does the wiring need to also be replaced from the light switch to the tail lights? What am I missing?
djuby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Tail light / Switch Issues

deleted

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 10-10-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: deleted info, did not read post carefully
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
ryanheacox

My immediate thought is that you have bad grounds on the passenger side tail light. A quick check would be to run a jumper from the tail light housing to a good ground.

I would be checking the light switch first for Issue 2. Might be a weak or dirty contact in the switch.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

If everything was normal before you replaced the wiring, that is where your problem is. Resistors in the headlights??? Why???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

You said you put new wiring in for the front but not the back??? It’s all one big harness. You must have just replaced some wires. Not familiar with LED head lamps, but adding a resistor to the head lamp circuit seems strange. I agree with the comment on the ground circuits. Bypass everything to a good ground.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
Badpuppy

I'd say something wrong with the tail bulbs. Swap the two and see if the problem moves.

Tail lights light at all 3 positions; 4:00 and 5:00 use the same switch contacts. Open up the switch and check for noncontact along the tail and brake light wipers.

Only place for resistors is for a turn signal circuit using a thermal flasher with LEDs. They connect in parallel with one bulb on each side.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
Patrick L.

Resistors in headlights doesn't make sense to me either, but, I'm not familiar with those headlights.

If you are using the parks as turn signals and the cowls are incandescent then resistors for the rear turns shouldn't be needed.

The difference in tail light brightness is odd. What lights are they ? Are they the type that require the lead between upper and lower to be cut ? I agree about the ground and swapping comments.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote