Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
Lefthander1930

Default Working in the garage

With all the drilling,welding & grinding I do in the garage, A lot of metal particles are on the floor. I use a magnet roller on wheels & handle (Harbor Freight) to pickup the metal chips.
Our dogs run in & out, Wife come out in socks. I can yell at the wife & tell her the dangers of stepping on metal chips but the dogs don't understand, Also you won't track into the house.

Lefthander1930
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Working in the garage

I have the same issues here in my shop . The magnet roller on wheels sounds like what I need .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
katy

After sweeping w/a push broom, I use one similar to this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Long-Reac...ease/498703584
Attached Images
File Type: png Long reach magnet pick up.png (2.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
77Birdman

PSA, please be careful grinding and welding, especially in a home garage. Almost 2 years ago to this day I lost a large shop fulll of tools and a car, to a fire started with a grinder spark! One bit of advice I learned from that experience, stop any welding and grinding at least an hour before you leave the shop for the day (or night).
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
kenparker

I do a lot of sweeping. Even with the grit on the floor I still enjoy being in the shop barefooted
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
burner31

Two words..........................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire extinguisher.jpg (13.7 KB, 9 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #7
chap52

I sweep my shop with a leaf blower, then the driveway, walkway, patio..... I have epoxied the garage floor and once every few weeks actually mop the floor. Neighbors laugh, I smile... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
desotoguy

Use of a welding shield will limit the scattering of grinding dust and keep clean up more localized. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3012_200673012
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Some of you boys seem to have shops that are entirely too neat and clean. That just ain't right. [grin]
I too use a blower or air nozzle. I'm an old barefoot boy too, but, not in the shop.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
holdover

I also have a magnet on rollers that I got at Northern tools , works great. Before welding I clear the area of any combustibles, always have fire extinguishers handy (over 8 of them spread around my shop and also a few gallons of water. I have stopped using drop lights and have gone to LED for hand held lighting. I have been a firefighter for over 50 years and can tell you that the old style drop light has caused many fires when dropped and bulb breaking with spilled gas on the floor. The local Ford dealership burned down due to this happening. I also learned a trick over 50 years ago. I never had a gas fire in the garage, but I'm ready if one were to happen if the fire is on the floor from spilled gas. I worked at a repair shop in the early 60's and we always had a gallon bucket near-by filled with speedy dry for oil spills or a gas fire. The owner gave me a demonstration of how it worked. He poured a cup of gas on the floor in a cleared area and lit it, he showed how the flames were high and it tended to spread outward, then he poured the speedy dry on it, immediately the spread stopped by the gas being absorbed and the flame was lowered to maybe an inch or two above the speedy dry. The fire was contained and shortly burned out, and gave time to get an extinguisher if need be. My dad use to say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
PSA, please be careful grinding and welding, especially in a home garage. Almost 2 years ago to this day I lost a large shop fulll of tools and a car, to a fire started with a grinder spark! One bit of advice I learned from that experience, stop any welding and grinding at least an hour before you leave the shop for the day (or night).
Yes, had a similar experience, suffered sooty walls and ceiling, no further damage thanks to my cat going bonkers and demanding I put down the paper and go check the garage. Not to mention the wife coming home later. Thus ensued a never ending harangue as to what are you up to now out there? “Do not burn the house down”!! Ugh
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #12
ursus

Metal slivers are a big risk! A friend suffered an amputation of most of his right foot after a metal sliver found its way in while he was puttering around barefoot in his shop. Started out as a minor irritation and within 2 days it had progressed to a major infection, sepsis, a week in the hospital, and many more in rehab. Wear shoes and keep a clean workspace!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:22 AM   #13
Wick

I'll be in closing a car port next year, away from the main shop just for welding,grinding,buffing.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #14
77Birdman

2017-11-09_10-01-34 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2017-11-09_10-02-23 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Sorry for the hijack, but this can happen if youre not careful! I was running a grinding, stepped out for literally 3 minutes, heard a 'pop' and in less than 5 minutes fully engulfed. I always thought I was safe, but now I am overly cautious.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote