Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
39portlander

Default Flat Black Friday...

A little end of the month get out locally @ Tri-Tank fab shop, the highlight for me was someone showed up with a small 1-1/2 Fairbanks-Morse in the bed of his P/U.

The thing just purred along like a little John Deere. Disregard the T picture that is another project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.JPG (163.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.JPG (147.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.JPG (126.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.JPG (120.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.JPG (127.8 KB, 91 views)
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: Flat Black Friday...

Nothing like an old open crank throttler!

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
flatford8

Is that on Warren Ave?.....Is it for trucks only?...Listening to one of those engines is the most relaxing sound....can’t wait to get to the Fair and listen a bunch all going at once....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
39portlander

Yes an open crank throttler, it's a little un-nerving standing behind one. Been reading Gas Engine magazine for years, no more room for a vehicle so I'm making room for a little Fairbanks-Morse....just to play with of course

Mark, that is on Warren ave just on the right after Chadwick Barros, Steve and his son Nate do this get together for their friends and customers. Those two are a fab and welding duo, mostly hot rods and rat rods some classics and others in between show up. There were about 20 tonight. Scott
Old 09-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Yes an open crank throttler, it's a little un-nerving standing behind one. Been reading Gas Engine magazine for years, no more room for a vehicle so I'm making room for a little Fairbanks-Morse....just to play with of course

Mark, that is on Warren ave just on the right after Chadwick Barros, Steve and his son Nate do this get together for their friends and customers. Those two are a fab and welding duo, mostly hot rods and rat rods some classics and others in between show up. There were about 20 tonight. Scott

Check out smokstak.com. A fordbarn for farm stuff.

my old 3.5-4hp open crank witte. Oil field rig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVnPdRjCU4

I currently have a 1928 1.5 McCormick Deering M. Original paint and skid with lettering. Cast wheel set from an Amish crew recasting them as made.

Also a later 1940s IHC 1.5hp version "the iron pig" (deering split, International. Basically a single cylinder model a engine. Lot of guys use them for ice cream makers at car shows).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PFtVpFM37w

Last edited by Tinker; 09-27-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
RalphM

Our museum curator had one once here that was huge. it was on a trailer and the wheel for it probably measured about 5-6 feet in diameter. It was sure something to hear run!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Check out smokstak.com. A fordbarn for farm stuff.
Great site, thanks Jess. Planning a future trip to the Coolspring power museum, like the Gilmore for antique engines.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Great site, thanks Jess. Planning a future trip to the Coolspring power museum, like the Gilmore for antique engines.

Coolspring power museum looks like a good stop.

Did a few of these when living in florida. Fort Meade the biggest for Florida.
https://www.floridaflywheelers.org/

Haven't gone here since moving to mn.
https://rollag.com/

Last edited by Tinker; 09-27-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
GB SISSON

Back in the 80s a neighbor gave me this engine. It was stuck and the cylinder head was lost. I made a wood pattern for the head, had it cast at a man-hole cover foundry and have been showing it at the Lynden Wa show ever since. I stumbled upon this video someone made of it while visiting the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5EaCZk5vo For the first 20 years I towed it to the show behind my '38 ford tonner. Now I'm lazy and leave it on the show grounds in a shed year 'round....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
38bill

I'm lucky in that we have a fantastic display of old engines just about 1/2 hour away. They put on a big three day show every summer. Check out the big, black steam engine in the video at 26:30. It came out of a Ford plant out east.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl4sGKk0_pI
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:43 PM   #11
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Back in the 80s a neighbor gave me this engine. It was stuck and the cylinder head was lost. I made a wood pattern for the head, had it cast at a man-hole cover foundry and have been showing it at the Lynden Wa show ever since. I stumbled upon this video someone made of it while visiting the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5EaCZk5vo For the first 20 years I towed it to the show behind my '38 ford tonner. Now I'm lazy and leave it on the show grounds in a shed year 'round....
Gary, love that engine of yours. Reminds me of a trip my dad and I took to the tractor pull and engine show in Roy, Washington in 1997. It was a great event!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:00 AM   #12
39portlander

Hey fellas thanks for posting the stories and the related videos, I love this stuff.

The fall fairs are in full swing and sure these are all over the place, hope to get up to Fryeburg fair for woodsman day this week.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
RalphM

I found a video of the one I saw here.

https://youtu.be/jTiK2B88EJs
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post

I can understand why you wouldn't want to move that one. They were not really a portable at that size but made to run a small factory. A true hit/miss too 1910s, throttlers in the 20s. A little load on the hit/miss would get it going. Thanks for sharing! very nice

Last edited by Tinker; 09-29-2019 at 09:54 PM.