Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
dan ia

Default gauge cleanup question

Hello all!

This is my first post on the new site! I've got all my gauges out of my '36 pickup, my question is if there is anyone out there who is restoring them? or am I better off taking them apart carefully and cleaning them up? They don't need much, just a little TLC. Thanks for any info you can give me.
dan ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: gauge cleanup question

I would do it yourself as they come apart pretty easy by uncrimping the edge of the bezels and the reverse to reassemble.What ever you use to clean the guage faces be sure to try first on the very edge so as not to wipe off the printing.Good luck.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Henry/Kokomo

Deuce lover makes a good point. However, once you're into the job, if you find you need professional assistance, Williamson's Instruments in Chester Arkansas restores and rebuilds antique automotive instruments of all kinds. I have used them on several ocassions and their work is excellent. Good luck.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Dave/Green Bay

I would also recommend Williamson. They did the speedo for my 35 beautiful work. Dave/Green Bay
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
dan ia

Thanks, thats just what I needed to know. I am going to try and do it myself, but if I run into anything I wanted to make sure I had options. Thanks.
dan ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Barry WNY

FTI, there is a hole with a felt plug near the speedo cable hook-up, can't say exactly what it looks like, done a few but it's been awhile. The crappy windshield seal usually leaked and seem's the dash usually suffered. My buddy got his '39 going and first thing twisted off the cable, froze up. I picked the felt out of the hole and had to use penetrant to free it up, then put it back together and soaked the felt with hyd. jack oil. Careful with the paint it is delicate. Mac's makes some resto stuff, even the tape to replace the odometer numbers. Usually cleaning the glass inside will do wonders.
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ia View Post
Hello all!

This is my first post on the new site! I've got all my gauges out of my '36 pickup, my question is if there is anyone out there who is restoring them? or am I better off taking them apart carefully and cleaning them up? They don't need much, just a little TLC. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Be careful!! The face will smear really easy.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
bobH

In case you need.... There are kits to re-finish the faces, in the C&G catalog. I'm sure other vendors carry the same thing.
I haven't seen any word from rumbleseat yet (on this version of the barn), but if Paul happens to post, he has a real good source for help, if you need it.
While on the subject of 36 gauges, can any of you help describe a speedo? I have one that was sold to me, supposedly for a 36 pickup, but it doesn't seem quite 'right' to me. What I have, fits the Ford speedo hole in the dash, 4-1/4 to 4-3/8, and the mounting tabs seem to be about on the correct diameter for Ford... but, the speedo has THREE mounting tabs, and my dash has TWO. Anyone else have a dash with THREE mount tabs? On the back of the casting is 'Delco Appliance".

Last edited by bobH; 05-18-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: didn't finish, oops
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
41Fordor

Use a soft brush like an artist paintbrush. I used compressed air to blow out dust from my speedometer face on a 69 Mercury and took the numbers right off the odometer wheels! Years of sitting in the Texas sun didn't help though.
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote