Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2022, 05:15 PM   #1
tom1948

Default live and learn

all life is a learning experience, i have been working on my '48 merc coupe for almost 8 yrs. we had worked the hood up until the final sanding before paint, it seems like a certain brand of self-etching primer is not compatible with some of the better primers. after 4 yrs it separated, had to strip the entire hood down to bare metal and we're now starting over from scratch. hard lesson learned!one foot after another and we go on.
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: live and learn

I have learned to get all painting supplies from the same manufacturer for best results. I did not follow my own advice on a couple of painted items on the display engine and the top coat wrinkled up really bad. Back to square one.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
pistonbroke

Default Re: live and learn

Something has change in paint chemistry. In most paints 15 years ago you could touch up or recoat 24 hours later with no problems . Now days you have maybe two hours. After that it will lift and wrinkle unless it has completely cured (as in seven to ten days in good heat)and hardened . This is true in spray cans and auto paint top coats alike. I had to reshoot a pickup door that was shot three days earlier ,what a mess! Then this last weekend I was going to do the lettering on my 1941 license plate. the base green was a two day old perfect spay can job. I just started the white lettering when I noticed white was starting to lift and wrinkle down to the primer.
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote