Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default That darn last rear bumper bracket bolt!

My 1928 Tudor had a bent left rear bumper bracket. A friend gave me a nice straight one.

I got off work early today and I decided that it would be a good time to remove and replace the bumper bracket. Everything came apart easy, until I got to the final large bolt holding the back of the bracket to the frame. I removed the nut and lock washer and pushed up on the bolt only to find that the bolt hit the bottom of the body. The body will need to be lifted about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to be able to clear the bracket.

Before I ran out of daylight, I removed the nut and lock washer on the rear body bolt. I plan on also removing the rear fender to splash apron bolts, before I lift the back of the body.

Have any of you replaced a rear bumper bracket before? What other bolts might I need to remove?

Thanks, Neil
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:31 AM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: That darn last rear bumper bracket bolt!

someone has installed the bolts in backwards. the bolts go in with the heads under the frame. at this time the only way is to get that bolt out might be is to lift the body.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #3
ron103140

No you don't have to lift the body. I did this on my roadster to replace one just yesterday. On the riser that has 2 bolts into rear of the carthat has the 1 rivet holding it, take a hammer and hit it a few times toward rear frame and it will move so you can get the bracket to come up to clear the bolt and slide right out.
ron103140 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
wrndln

I am pasting in a picture of what I think you are referring to. You should not need to remove the bolt as the front part of the bumper bracket goes under the frame. Just remove the nut and washer and the bumper bracket will come out and allow you to install the replacement bracket. I don't think the body needs to be lifted, as there is enough clearance to get a wrench on the bolt head on top of the frame.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear bumper braket bolt.jpg (52.5 KB, 95 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote