Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
RTPbee81

Default Tire Tube replacement question?

Tires were replaced (they are Universal) prior to my purchase due to dry rot, they appear new, the spare had never hit the pavement (nubs were still intact), until Sunday. Tube valve separated from the stem so assuming the tubes weren't replaced, all valve stems look pretty old.

I ordered new tubes and liners from Coker, should be here tomorrow, I have a friend who owns a tire shop but has never mounted a tire for an A, any suggestions or things to look out for when he dismounts the tire's and replaces the tubes?

He mentioned he has no idea what he will find once he takes out the tube...
RTPbee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Tire Tube replacement question?

There are several topics related to this here, -and Ray White has one on YouTube. YOu may want to search this a bit and print off for your tire store friend.

One of the reasons why stems separate from the tube is because the tube/tire is slipping on the wheel. The Model-A wheel was never designed to have a rubber stem tube. For years this was 'allowed' simply because the rubber stems in tubes were very heavy duty in construction, and they were vulcanized well. Today this is a problem. I will also tell you that we rarely find people complaining about tube issues when the proper metal valve stems are used. Just some food for thought.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Usually one can just remove one side wall and remove the old tube, look around to see the condition of the rim. If the rim is good just put in a liner and the new tube. If the rim is nasty then the tire needs to come off and the rim cleaned.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Be sure to CAUTION YOUR FRIEND that the Model rims are not nearly as strong as modern steel rims and an air powered changer can easily damage the rim by bending it. He either needs to be very careful or break them down using tire irons. A lot of truck shops have tire irons if he doesn't.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
McMimmcs

Numerous posts on this subject and youtubes! Follow Brents advice in post #2. No need to go any further!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPbee81 View Post
Tires were replaced (they are Universal) prior to my purchase due to dry rot, they appear new, the spare had never hit the pavement (nubs were still intact), until Sunday. Tube valve separated from the stem so assuming the tubes weren't replaced, all valve stems look pretty old.

I ordered new tubes and liners from Coker, should be here tomorrow, I have a friend who owns a tire shop but has never mounted a tire for an A, any suggestions or things to look out for when he dismounts the tire's and replaces the tubes?

He mentioned he has no idea what he will find once he takes out the tube...
Really??? He owns a tyre shop and has no idea what is inside the tyre??? You have to be kidding!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Sunnybrook Farm

I left my wheels on the car and used model A tire irons to get the tires off and one. Being on the car seemed to be easier than taking them off, once I got them loose I could just pull it off the rim. I guess back in the day people changed a lot like that, just felt like it was made to work that way. Of course I am too cheap to take them anywhere.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

In addition to knowing what to do be sure he doesn't hand it off to the high school student they hired last week. Those wire wheels bend easily. I do mine myself with the tools in the attached photo (just 2, not all 4). I think the ones in the Ford tool kit are a little small but they work. Maybe someone in a local club could loan you the tools and show you how to use them. Just be sure you don't pinch the tube when you put them back together.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v%FhzQs6S+G3our9HkywtA_thumb_7f09.jpg (56.8 KB, 45 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #9
History

My father in law has owned a tire shop for over twenty years and stays very, very busy. I don't think he has ever changed a model A tire.

I changed all my tubes myself using hand tools, it's pretty easy. I'd do it myself if I were you depending on your health and ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Really??? He owns a tyre shop and has no idea what is inside the tyre??? You have to be kidding!
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:32 AM   #10
Bruce of MN

I made this bead breaker to take off some 30 year old Allstate tires:

(The spare tire cover was left on for this posed shot, I didn't work on that wheel with it on!)

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
Ak Sourdough

I have a couple of these bead drivers in my tool inventory. Just used one a few days ago changing to 21" radials. Works fine for the little soft tires on a Model A. Not enough usually for a more modern trailer tire or the like that has bonded itself to the wheel over time.

Just put it between the tire and the wheel and give it a couple wallops with a 3 pound hammer.

It's about a foot long and weighs a couple pounds. Made by Ken-Tools.
Ak Sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote