Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
Phred

Default alternator / engine no start

A friend's coupe died in another friend's garage the other night. 6 volt pos ground, one wire alternator, fuse holder on starter.

Car was driven into garage after and event next morning engine would not turn over, battery was dead. Garage owner (unfamiliar with Model A's) put charger on battery. Car owner and garage owner then called me for consultation.

Fuse on starter was blown and would immediately blow when new fuse installed. After a few suggestions over the phone without success, they closed the hood and invited me over to look things over in person.

Upon arrival, 6+ volts at battery, starter, and terminal box, no headlights, power at both ends of fuse holder with no fuse installed, engine would turn over normally, no spark. I removed the headlight wires and other wire from the alternator stud and removed the fuse holder from the circuit, connected these wires together and headlights worked normally, also had power at the points now, and fuse holder did not have continuity without a fuse. Engine started normally. reattached wires to alternator and magic smoke was escaping from behind the ammeter. Removed and taped off the alternator wires and drove it home on the battery.

I suspect that the innards of the alternator are upset. Does this diagnosis sound correct?

If the garage owner inadvertently connected the battery charger "backwards" might this have disturbed the alternator?

Thanks in advance for any confirmation or other areas to look at.

Phred
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: alternator / engine no start

First thing is how could there be power at both sides of the fuse holder and terminal box with no fuse installed?

Connecting the battery charger backwards could be a big problem, and if the battery was dead, it may now be charged backwards. Use a volt meter to make sure of battery polarity.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

what is magic smoke ? Why do people try to fix something they know absolutely nothing about. Playing mechanic can cost the owner lots of extra money. Bottom line is if they don't know what they are doing they should leave it alone. Sweet and simple! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 09-15-2016 at 08:33 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

"""""Magic smoke was escaping from behind the dash""""
Something also fried::

Since you had smoke from behind the dash it will need either a ammeter or a dash harness or both....
Pull it back and see what's up before you go any further

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-15-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
First thing is how could there be power at both sides of the fuse holder and terminal box with no fuse installed?
I agree! He did something and is not telling you what he did. The battery goes to the starter then the fuse. No fuse the power stops there with the car is not running.

You are going to have to follow the wiring diagram to see where the problem is assuming stock wiring. With a whole lot of mods all bets are off. You will need to strip out everything not stock and go back to square one then re wire as necessary.

model-a-ford-electrical-wiring-diagram
Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Phred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Connecting the battery charger backwards could be a big problem, and if the battery was dead, it may now be charged backwards. Use a volt meter to make sure of battery polarity.
1) I agree, power at both ends of the fuse holder is strange.

2) How do I check the polarity of the battery with a volt meter?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
Art Newland

Just put the red + lead of the meter on the + terminal of the battery and the black - lead on the - terminal of the battery. the meter should read a positive voltage.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

maybe you should enlist the help of a person familiar with Model A cars before additional harm is done. Sometimes money not spent is not money saved! Wayne
Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Phred

OK...

with digital multimeter, meter (+) red lead to battery (+) post (post grounded to chassis and meter (-) black lead to battery (-) post (post connected to starter by cable: yields (-) 6 volts.

So battery appears to be "charged backwards"?

Can this be easily reversed?

No sense in hooking up any positive ground alternators until the battery condition is corrected?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Turn on the headlights to completely kill the battery, then try charging it the correct way. I tried this on a few batteries over the years, but sometimes it just won't come back to life.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"He did something and is not telling you what he did."
Haha interesting comment, Mike, and I agree.

and now we know what he did.

don't rapid charge it the correct way, use a slow trickle

i still agree with Mitch that it is worth looking at the back of the ammeter, and checking everything, since something triggred this whole affair

Tom, about 35 yrs ago I backwards charged my '50 Jeepster and wondered why the ammeter lost its mind. Up until then I did not know this was possible! The battery must be stone dead in order for this to happen

diodes in alt may be blown. I'd check them before putting the alt back online. A blown diode becomes a 'wire' meaning it conducts in both directions. Sometimes blown so bad that they are just open

If the garage owner was paying attention he would have seen a blue flash from the alt when he connected the charger backwards....but he isn't spilling the beans

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-15-2016 at 09:49 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

We ALL know a Model A is POSITIVE ground, but sometimes we get our head on ASSBACKWARDS, & SCREW UP!!!
Bill Backwards
Old 09-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
"He did something and is not telling you what he did."
Haha interesting comment, Mike, and I agree.

and now we know what he did.

don't rapid charge it the correct way, use a slow trickle

i still agree with Mitch that it is worth looking at the back of the ammeter, and checking everything, since something triggred this whole affair

Tom, about 35 yrs ago I backwards charged my '50 Jeepster and wondered why the ammeter lost its mind. Up until then I did not know this was possible! The battery must be stone dead in order for this to happen

diodes in alt may be blown. I'd check them before putting the alt back online. A blown diode becomes a 'wire' meaning it conducts in both directions. Sometimes blown so bad that they are just open

If the garage owner was paying attention he would have seen a blue flash from the alt when he connected the charger backwards....but he isn't spilling the beans
You have a lot of support in this suggestion! We don't know everything that happened. Wayne
Old 09-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
We ALL know a Model A is POSITIVE ground,.....
Bill Backwards
Oh no we don't Bill, some like their owners are wired unconventionally
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #15
jetmek

Look closely at the stop light switch. had virtually same problem recently due to shorted switch
Old 09-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
Phred

Battery Follow Up: Drained the battery to zero volts, battery woulf d not accept proper charge.
Installed new battery, hooked up fuse holder, and different alternator. All is well!
Old 09-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

What about the smoke from the dash ..did you pull it back and check things out..
Something had to have burned
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

So, it sounds like the alternator was the problem, but as Mitch said, I'd check out the wires and ammeter behind the instrument panel.