Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Vin-tin

Default Why???

Why do people post ads on craig's list but don't post a phone number to reach them at?
In the past month I responded to 2 different "A" related ads on craig's list. No phone numbers so I had to email them. Never got a response back from either of them.
What is it with some people?
(disclaimer) I guess I had a bad night at work and had to vent to someone.
I'm going to bed now. Hopefully i'll be dreaming of model A's
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Why???

http://days.to/spring/2015

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
eagle

Some people don't post a telephone number because there are so many half-interested people who call and just want to visit. Usually the reason that you don't get a response from an email is the item is sold and the seller hasn't removed the listing yet. I HATE that. I have seen ads run for a full month after the item is sold.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Even giving one's email address today is risky besides Craigslist as a whole....IMO.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

Because they're giving personal info to the public? Some people think that there's a crook behind every reply. Some people are just afraid of making their number available. If you are going to do business, you have to be available! You have to be able to talk to and not by E-mail. I don't answer such ads, Just too defensive for me!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Tom Elliott

I agree! If you want to advertise in a public forum you should be willing to put up with crank calls. That's part of it unfortunately. I just hate ads with out a phone number.
Tom
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
Big hammer

There are no laws against have more than one phone! Doing business on one phone and kept personal phone personal. Pay per min phones are cheap
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
jkcrosson

I would think that if you are buying or selling on craigslist, giving out your phone number is the least of your concerns. I cannot imagine using the map my location on Craigslist.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
bambooboy

I use craigslist all the time,use the map location offen.it gives general area sometimes.mostimes 5 to 7 miles away from my house.many craigslist lurkers are just playing&will waste your time.tom
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
Rex_A_Lott

I know plenty of people who have manufacturing type jobs that arent allowed to have their phone on the production floor, and many also work night shift. E-mails can be checked during breaks/lunch, or some other more convenient time.
I hate ads that dont give an e-mail address, because its a better way for me to communicate...so I guess we are even.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
CarlG

It's not just CR. I've had that happen right here on the swap meet. Guy even sent me pictures then never responded after that, even with several prods.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
It's not just CR. I've had that happen right here on the swap meet. Guy even sent me pictures then never responded after that, even with several prods.
You're using the wrong prods. You need a cattle prod.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
Keith True

I always post a phone number.I have always found that if people take the time to actually talk to me,they at least have some genuine interest.ads are easy to put up,and just as easy to ignore once they are up.It used to be that if you wanted to sell something you wrote an ad with a number,mailed it in,and waited for calls.I always felt that most people couldn't be bothered with that much work.Now,it's different.They can just sit there in their BVD's and poke out a few lines and post the ad.But,they just can't be bothered with answering the ads they wrote.I've been selling stuff my whole life,and the internet has opened up a whole new crop of people that think nothing of wasting your time.If you talk to them on the phone,and make an appointment,they most likely show up.If they make an appointment online,very few actually show up.I also get a lot of,meet me here or there and I'll make you an offer.I'm not hauling a motorcycle 30 miles to have somebody try to make a low ball offer.If you're afraid to come to my house you don't to be buying from me.I've never been afflicted with the paranoia thing,I go anywhere to buy stuff,and anybody can come here to buy junk from me.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
Tim B.

I find that I get all sorts of requests (from all over the country) to help me sell an item if I include a phone number and about the same number of buyer inquiries whether I did or didn't include a phone number. I find that those that used email as first contact were more serious about buying and most often bought.
Tim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #15
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
(disclaimer) I guess I had a bad night at work and had to vent to someone.
I'm going to bed now. Hopefully i'll be dreaming of model A's
Well, I didn't dream of any "A's" today, but I do feel better.
I get that maybe people don't want their phone number "out there" for everyone to see. But why can't people have the decency to answer emails, even if it's just to say "hey man, i'm sorry, but it's already sold". In todays society I think people are becoming increasingly rude.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
ped58

When I sell on craigslist I reply by email and ask for their phone number. And when the item sells I always send an email to the people who sent their phone #. I also say, if you see the item, it's still "for sale "
ped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #17
SeaSlugs

I get enough telemarketing calls as it is, i dont need my number all over the web. Lots of "bots" out there that scan the internet and pick up on common ways to type phone numbers and it collects them to spam. Some people use the letter O instead of zero and spell out certian digits to try to avoid the bots.

I prefer to prescreen my potential buyers VIA email, i do go in order of first come first serve. I dont sell alot on ebay or craigslist but if i did i too also thought of getting one of those cheap cheap $10 pay as you go phones and would use that as a contact number.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #18
ODFever

Lots of emails end up in increasingly restrictive SPAM folders. It is very possible that the emails sent by Craigslist to the person listing an ad have gone straight into the SPAM folder. Most people don't look through their SPAM folder to find legitimate emails. Another thing: Craigslist has become a mecca for scammers, spammers, burglars, and identity thieves. All it takes is an address and a phone number, and someone can data mine you and take advantage of you.

When I buy or sell on CL, I absolutely refuse to give out my home address. I use a separate phone number that I don't give out to anyone else. I deal in cash only, and meet in heavily populated areas when arranging transactions. I also carry my 9 MM semi auto just in case (I have my CCW), though I pray I never have to use it. I am not paranoid; I'm prepared. I prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Not everyone is a criminal, but I REFUSE to be a victim. My advice: be careful, and be mindful. CL is the Wild West of Internet commerce.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:11 AM   #19
ThomasN

I think there a way to flag a post? I don't get mad, I just get even.
ThomasN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #20
RonC

There are ways to mask your phone number or you could buy a pay as you go phone just for craigslist
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote