Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
bogdonj

Exclamation Another Questions on the Roadster!!!HELP

My turn again to get some advice from you guys..... We got our roadster running good after we bought it from an old lady that had it sitting in a heated garage for 8 years. We got it running last month and noticed we had an exhaust leak. So today I took off the muffler and manifold...

1.) 2 of the studs for the manifold came right out... I'm guess I can just get one news and screw them back into the block with some lock tight?

2.) When pulling the manifold off I noticed a blue liquid in both intake ports? Now i'm guessing this is unburnt gas????? I just want to make sure before I put everything back together... I have a picture to show you guys also...(When running the car we put SEA FOAM in it... i don't think this has anything to do with it but want to give you every detail)

3.) I noticed that the back side of the manifold has a pretty good crack in it. guess I'm on the look out for a new one

Thanks and welcome your input!

Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03579.jpg (48.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03578.jpg (34.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03583.jpg (43.6 KB, 70 views)
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: Another Questions on the Roadster!!!HELP

Don't know about blue substance. However, your intake manifold studs should be screwed in by hand until bottomed out. I put 'neverseize' on the threads, so that they can be installed/removed easily. When screwed in all the way, these studs are only used to hold TORQUE put on the nuts that hold the manifolds to the block...that is , the studs will not/should not turn in at all after bottoming out. Yeah, looks as tho you will need a new exhaust manifold.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Dick Deegan

I do the same as Hardtimes. Permatex anti seize on the studs, both the threads going in to the block and the threads that will take the brass nuts.

Don't know about the blue liquid. Must be gas, unless it is coolant that has worked its way in there. Is your coolant blue? I'm not sure how the coolant would work its way in there anyway.

There are some good deals on intake/exhaust combos. I recently had to replace my exhaust manifold and decided, that for the extra cost, it would be best to get both exhaust and intake. I managed to put both together and by carefully filing the pad that joins the two, got the faces on the two manifolds to line up pretty close - close enough that the copper gasket took up the rest. If you don't buy both manifolds new, you will have to have them planed when they are put together. Seems a shame to remove metal (in some cases a lot if your intake has been planed before) on new parts.

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
bogdonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Deegan View Post
I do the same as Hardtimes. Permatex anti seize on the studs, both the threads going in to the block and the threads that will take the brass nuts.

Don't know about the blue liquid. Must be gas, unless it is coolant that has worked its way in there. Is your coolant blue? I'm not sure how the coolant would work its way in there anyway.

There are some good deals on intake/exhaust combos. I recently had to replace my exhaust manifold and decided, that for the extra cost, it would be best to get both exhaust and intake. I managed to put both together and by carefully filing the pad that joins the two, got the faces on the two manifolds to line up pretty close - close enough that the copper gasket took up the rest. If you don't buy both manifolds new, you will have to have them planed when they are put together. Seems a shame to remove metal (in some cases a lot if your intake has been planed before) on new parts.

Dick

Thanks! I"m guessing it's just gas left over from when the last time I ran it. We were just running water in the rad since we got the vehicle. I'm going to talk to my parts supplier about a new manifold this week
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Dick Deegan

Sent you a PM
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote