Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
marc silva

Default 28 Special Coupe Visor vinyl covering

I just got a vinyl cover for the sun visor on my '28 Special Coupe from LeBaron Bonney and the grain goes across the visor 90 degrees from the direction of the top grain.It doesn't seem right to me and I never really paid that much attention to other cars. Which way is the grain supposed to go? Long ways across the visor or the short way front to back the same direction the grain is on the top? It's not that I don't trust them but I don't trust them. The judging standards doesn't say anything about the direction of the grain on the visor only that it is supposed to be covered. Thanks for the help, Marc
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: 28 Special Coupe Visor vinyl covering

The grain on my 29 Special Coupe's visor goes 90 degrees from the direction of the top, the same as yours. Regards, John
29spcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
wrndln

I have a 28 special coupe that I am almost finished restoring. I tried to install the covering on the visor three or four years ago on my repro metal visor and made a mess of it and had to remove it as I think it was made too big and I couldn't get the wrinkles out of the corners. I bought the visor cover from Classtique in Minnesota where I live. Elisabeth, the owner, made a slightly smaller one of me, but I haven't had the guts to try to install it yet. In the intervening time, I acquired an original metal visor. I decided to purchase the visor cover from Lebaron Bonney for it. BOTH visor covers have the grain running the SAME direction from front to back, NOT side to side. To clarify, both visors have the grain running in the SHORT direction. That sounds like my covers are different from what LB made you and what John has on his car. My coupe didn't have a visor when I bought it many years ago, much less any covering left on it, so I am not sure which direction was correct. However, I attended the MARC meet in French Lick this year and Don Bivens had a very low mileage (about 10,000 miles) very original 29 special coupe there. I took a lot of pictures of it and am posting one that indicates the covering went front to back. As a note, the original top material on Don's coupe looked much more smooth than the current top material that has a more pronounced raised grain.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
marc silva

Thanks Rusty. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Much appreciated! Marc
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
29spcoupe

I must be loosing it! Just checked mine again, the grain goes from front to back. Regards, John
29spcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote