Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #41
prpmmp

Default Re: How do you handle disrespect for you & your car?

10,000 must be the going rate for our junk,I was offered 10,000 for my truck(37 chevy) at the Lowes parking lot,I said sure as long as you sell it back to me for 5,000, since you want to buy it for half of what I got in it,I'll buy it back for half of what you got in it!! He called me a smartass and walk away! My wife just shook her head and said I really enjoyed that!! I did!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #42
junk yard kid

I got a couple good ones. One year at the big three swap meet it must have been a old bike buying year. My old Schwinn that i had found was there as my transportation had everyone one looking at it. It was my ride around town and at the show so i didnt want to sell it. I kept it in back of my stall behind my chair and cooler but had someone every half hour for two days asking about it or fondling it. I kept telling people it was five hundred bucks. Many asked why it was so high. I just told them thats the price to make me walk everywhere till i can get another one. One guy got real mad and told me not to bring it if i didnt want to sell it. I should have asked him to sell me his shoes.

I was driving my model a the other day and a kid buying candy at the liquor store asked me how much i would take for it. I told him i wanted two cases of beer, three boxes of fireworks and 300 hamburgers. The look on his face was priceless.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #43
Rich Overton

Some of you old guys out there like me might remember a movie about 50 years ago. I can't remember the name of it but think of the Humphry Bogart era. A guy comes up to another guy and says, " hey how much you want for that?" The response? "If you have to ask you can't afford it!" I thought that was quite neat.
Rich Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
Shadetree

Tell me, how many of you have asked someone if their car is for sale? How many have bought their car by asking?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #45
Mike in Mass

my dad has a 35 roadster ,while at a car show up in New York the big boys were out, with suitcases full of cash handcuffed to there wrist.all around the show you saw "CAR SOLD " " CAR GOING TO CHINA" ,JAPAN ,SOUTH AMERICA ,,. well this one guy pesters my dad about sellin ,not for sale ,he says Opens the suitcase an offers him 80 grand , no thanks ,my dad says again ,jerk wouldn,t take no for an answer , finally ,, Hey pal get the f out of here I,m tryin to enjoy myself at the show. this happend in 1992 when prices were up ,I,ll never forget it
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #46
33cabriolet

I just tell them that it is just a little more than they have. It really pisses them off
33cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #47
1932 V8

Just for the record , I am always polite to anyone asking about our cars . I would like to see this hobby around for a long time to come so I try to encourage the interest . But .............. there is a point when you know that the person asking questions is asking for all the wrong reasons . That is when my polite, but smart ass answers come out that I mentioned earlier. Until he/she crosses that line, I am happy talking to anyone about our cars . I have also learned that when someone is asking if it is for sale, if you tell them it was your Dad's and has been in the family forever, they will stop asking. 2 of our cars were my Dad's so it is not a lie for those 2, the other ones , not so much but they don't know that
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #48
Ross6860

It hasn't happened with anything I currently own, but in the past a simple it's not for sale usually sufficed.

There are a lot of times I can't get out of the gas station or car parts parking lot. I'm sure it happens to a lot of folks with vintage/classic cars and motorcycles. Unless I'm in a huge hurry I'll BS with the folks. Most of them are truly interested in the car and are smiling the whole time.

I truly have never run into anyone I thought was rude.

Since my wife is in lust for a '34 coupe, I would sell either of my "babies" if the right price came up.

If I was not interested in selling I would quote a higher-than-market price. Of course, if they wanted to pay significantly more than it's worth I would have to be ready to sell.

PS - It's really fun to take your car to a new car sales lot.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #49
Charlie ny
BANNED

Guys,
My tale is not not about dollars but disrespect just the same. At the yearly
car show in my town I used to enter my '35 sedan which won quite often..it was
decent. One year I get back to the '35 and here is this six year old jumping on the
running board, sticky fingers hanging on the window opening....his fool 30 something
father standing proudly watching the kid. I asked the fool what was going on
and that this car was mine.....the fool was incredulous. He 'calmly' advised me he was
allowing his child to experience an old car.
What could I do?...I walked the fool around the back of the '35 and told him
to get his kid out of my sight now or I'd kick his ass (the dad). My '35 was as all black
and my face was all red. The fool and kid departed pronto.
Yep he was smaller than me.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #50
waterboychuck

Just tell the person that your late father bought the car/truck new and that it is not going to leave the family for any amount of money. That should shut him up.
waterboychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #51
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Guys,
My tale is not not about dollars but disrespect just the same. At the yearly
car show in my town I used to enter my '35 sedan which won quite often..it was
decent. One year I get back to the '35 and here is this six year old jumping on the
running board, sticky fingers hanging on the window opening....his fool 30 something
father standing proudly watching the kid. I asked the fool what was going on
and that this car was mine.....the fool was incredulous. He 'calmly' advised me he was
allowing his child to experience an old car.
What could I do?...I walked the fool around the back of the '35 and told him
to get his kid out of my sight now or I'd kick his ass (the dad). My '35 was as all black
and my face was all red. The fool and kid departed pronto.
Yep he was smaller than me.
Charlie ny
I was at a car show and a mother was allowing her (I assume) two young sons to use a front fender as a sliding board. Even though I did not know the owner or his whereabouts, I scolded her and she made them stop. I asked if she realized how expensive the paint was on that car. I am sure she didn't have a clue.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #52
felix37

At least they didn't ask ''what year PT Cruiser is that?''
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #53
Bader

A friend of mine was driving his 28 rpu. Said friend is in his 70s when a car pulled along side at the lights and the 8 year old in the passenger seat complimented him on his truck,then ask him if he bought it new! Too funny
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #54
BILL WZOREK

L78CHEVELLE

It would have been worth the time to tell him oK / tell him to go get the cash, and meet you back there in 2hr's.
When & if he shows up tell him you want to count the $$$ then tell him that is enough non refundable $$$ to put his name 2nd on the list to have the right to bid on the car @ some future date,if you ever deside to sell it. Then tell him that he is 2nd on the list & the 1st place guy gave you $15,000 for the 1st right to bid spot.

Long and involved but would be worth the look on his face.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #55
ken ct
BANNED

I had the same trouble with a repop british Royal Enfield which I use to haul to shows as my going out for dinner motor cycle. Naturaly I had to park it on one of my vendor spaces. Constently bothered by people asking "how much for the bike". No for sale sings on it Finally put a sign on it $50,000 NO MORE questions.. The bike was worth approx. $3,500 at the time.You should have heard some of the comments I heard as they walked away. LOL ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #56
tom brown

I use this- tell them you just hot wired the car from the last gas station and really don't know what its worth. .
tom brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #57
Clem Clement

Thanks. Them womens that pester me gots no $$. My price is usually $42,385.37 for what ever I'm in. But ya gotta smile and chat some.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #58
32phil

I had a very arrogant guy ask me how much for my 32 Brookville Rdstr on an original frame. All the goodies..... Lincoln brakes, 8ba with original Edelbrock heads & intake, Zephyr gears, banjo wheel, original grille shell, matching locks & keys (surprise!). It's a nice car, everything is new or rebuilt. Nothing newer than 1953 on the car. I told him $100K. He asked how I could justify that price ? I told him just parts of the car INCLUDING shipping and cost of going to swap meets etc. came close to $50K. Then I spent 4 years putting it together part time. If I had worked at Burger king part time for 4 years I would have made at least $12.5K a year, That's another $50K. When you look at it that way it adds up quick. He just turned pale and walked away.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #59
ford38v8

Clem, you're too old to haggle over money with those womens. Can't you just give them a ride for their money if they behave themselves?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #60
oldblue

I like my toys and I try not to let the ignorant individuals like that bother me . Sometimes they do require enlightenment though .