Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
The 39 Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 11
Default 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

It's time to put out some notification of this years East West Reliability Run for 2020. It will be held at the Monitor Hot Rod Cafe( Monitor Washington just north of Wenatchee Washington)
on September 19 2020. I usually only post this on the HAMB but there are probably more flathead guys on the Ford Barn so I thought I would give it a try this year.

This is the run that was originally started by The Inland Emperors of the Spokane Washington area.The challenge was and still is to see if the West side of the Cascade mountains Seattle area or East side ( Spokane WA western Idaho) bring the most cars. Bill makes a long distance trophy for this event also.

The Inland Emperors used vantage Washington as a meeting site for the run for several years before moving to the event to the Hot Rod Cafe in Monitor. The Inland Emperors have moved on to other interests and responsibilities but Bill Cordell known as Rusty Bill on the HAMB has been helping to continue the run for four years now.

Most of us have had a lot fewer opportunities to drive our cars this year and are ready for a good excuse to put some miles on the old flat head. I think the covid risk is pretty low for an event of this type. The Cafe's grass field is large enough to spread out and allow for safe distancing. Bring your mask and visit for awhile. I have attended several gathering there this summer. You can call your order into the restaurant or go inside to order. The staff then brings your food order out to you.

So if you want to get your Flathead powered car out for a run please put this event on your calendar.
You must arrive by noon to be counted in the challenge to see which side of the mountains wins this year.

If you can't bring your flathead powered car there is usually room to park your Hot Rod on the grass by the orchard to the South of the main Flathead gathering.

Go to the address below for info on the run location.

https://www.facebook.com/MonitorHotRodCafe/

rusty bill is your contact guy. Bill Cordell 509 782-2289 Bill won't be able to attend this year but is a good contact for area information.I am also available for info on the run @ 509 679 3501or Profitsam050@charter.net.

The 39 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
The 39 Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 11
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

If I put this post in the wrong place please let me know how to post it correctly.
The 39 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:35 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 7,140
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 39 Guy View Post
If I put this post in the wrong place please let me know how to post it correctly.

39 Guy …..You done good...you're in the right spot. With only TWO posts, I'd normally welcome you to the 'Barn, but I see you signed-up in 2014. WHERE YA BEEN?


Anyway, I sadly won't be at the gathering. Just a bit too far for this Texas boy to wander. Hoping you have a good turnout from the EAST-side guys. I've seen reports on this gathering in years past. You need to show your face around here a little more often.


What ever happened to "Chris" with the little '34 roadster, the '33 pick-up and the black '46 I believe it was, AND wasn't it Lucy the hound, and a charming bride? DD
__________________
T5 W/TORQUE TUBE


There are TWO types of people in this world.
___________________________________
1) Those who CAN extrapolate from incomplete data....


V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
Darrell S
Senior Member
 
Darrell S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everett WA
Posts: 269
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

I would love to make this one, hopefully! Thanks for the heads up. I come to East Wenatchee pretty often, maybe we could hook up some time.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
37 truck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Omak, Washington
Posts: 145
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

I've been to this show several times and it always brings out some great cars. Maybe 39 Guy will bring out his 40? It shows where he has spent his time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170819_130445.jpg (63.1 KB, 56 views)
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
TomT/Williamsburg
Senior Member
 
TomT/Williamsburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Now this I would love to drive my avatar to - never been to the Northwest. Maybe next year, Lord willin and the creek don’t rise!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
The 39 Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 11
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
39 Guy Ö..You done good...you're in the right spot. With only TWO posts, I'd normally welcome you to the 'Barn, but I see you signed-up in 2014. WHERE YA BEEN?


Anyway, I sadly won't be at the gathering. Just a bit too far for this Texas boy to wander. Hoping you have a good turnout from the EAST-side guys. I've seen reports on this gathering in years past. You need to show your face around here a little more often.


What ever happened to "Chris" with the little '34 roadster, the '33 pick-up and the black '46 I believe it was, AND wasn't it Lucy the hound, and a charming bride? DD

Thanks for the reply VG8coopman, I have been busy with shop remodel projects and the ground up rebuild of a 54 mercury for the last few years. I spend most of my web time on the HAMB. I have two build threads over there. So that has kept me preoccupied. I see things are done a little differently over here so there will be a learning curve.


Chris is one of the Inland Emperors (Spokane) that started this East West thing. I do not personally know him but we have met. He is a a pretty active car collector and seems to always get some great deals on his projects he posts frequently on the HAMB about his projects..I think he has at least two youngsters now that has probably affected his car hobby time somewhat.
The 39 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
The 39 Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 11
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell S View Post
I would love to make this one, hopefully! Thanks for the heads up. I come to East Wenatchee pretty often, maybe we could hook up some time.

Sure Darrell, we enjoy having visitors in the shop. We just started work on my basket case 39 Ford convertible sedan project today so there is a project to look at if you like that sort of thing. call 509 679 3501 (Sam). We work from 1:30 to 6 PM just about every day out here. Hope you can make it to the run! I will have my blue 40 coupe at the run and will be helping with the the registration.


I think I forgot to mention there is no registration fee. This is a real low key event. Most guys only stay to or three hours and head back home or off to see and do other things around the Wenatchee Valley






Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 truck View Post
I've been to this show several times and it always brings out some great cars. Maybe 39 Guy will bring out his 40? It shows where he has spent his time.

Yep 37 truck , the coupe is up and running this year with a new 5 speedso it will be there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Now this I would love to drive my avatar to - never been to the Northwest. Maybe next year, Lord willin and the creek donít rise!

Tom, there are usually a few cool events that take place here in the Northwest around September weekend. Weather is usually pretty good too. Hope you can make it sometime.
The 39 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
flatford8
Senior Member
 
flatford8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lyman,ME.
Posts: 1,710
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Now this I would love to drive my avatar to - never been to the Northwest. Maybe next year, Lord willin and the creek donít rise!
This is definitely at the top of my bucket list!!..... from the Far North East to the Far North West......hope you have a great turnout and good weather.....maybe next year......Mark from Maine
__________________
I'm thinkin' about crankin'
My ragged ol' truck up
and haulin' myself into town.
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:55 PM   #10
The 39 Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 11
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
This is definitely at the top of my bucket list!!..... from the Far North East to the Far North West......hope you have a great turnout and good weather.....maybe next year......Mark from Maine

Thanks Mark , I hope you can make the trip someday. We usually have really good weather in September here. The guys from the West side of the state sometimes have to deal with some rain or mist in the early mornings as they cross over the Cascade mountains from the Seattle area but they are used to getting their cars a little wet over there and don't let it deter them from making the trip.
The 39 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #11
uncle buck
Senior Member
 
uncle buck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Snohomish,WA
Posts: 816
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 39 Guy View Post
The guys from the West side of the state sometimes have to deal with some rain or mist in the early mornings as they cross over the Cascade mountains from the Seattle area but they are used to getting their cars a little wet over there and don't let it deter them from making the trip.


We aren't getting use to getting a little wet , we expect it.... I just consider it high humidity over here. lol
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
RKS.PA
Senior Member
 
RKS.PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marana, AZ
Posts: 886
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Uncle Buck, having lived in Issaquah with our '39 Deluxe Fordor that came from Friday Harbor WA, you are the "master of understatement!"
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
The 39 Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 11
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
We aren't getting use to getting a little wet , we expect it.... I just consider it high humidity over here. lol

All right then Uncle Buck, check those windshield wipers and get ready to make the trip. It's just two weeks away September 19th). Anybody on this forum planing to attend or have any questions?
The 39 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #14
GB SISSON
Senior Member
 
GB SISSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Orcas Island Washington
Posts: 2,601
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Just got home from a late afternoon trip in the woodie. I am still experiencing bucking and missing on the hills. It's hilly here, but no Steven's Pass kind of hilly. It's the 3rd gear long pull problem and just last week she quit altogether for a tow home. New rotor next morning vrooom, and on my way, but alas with the missing and sputtering recurring and 8 jobs going on at once in the woodshop, I'm wondering if I was to make the run in the 47 tonner with the diesel conversion, is that OK? There are no flathead ford guys on the island and I'm setting up to build a 255 merc for the woodie this winter. I know my tonner PU isn't a flathead any more and it certainly isn't a hot rod at only 210 cu in, but that inline turbo'd six climbs pretty well. At least I'd meet some flathead guys!
__________________
'47 1/2 ton pickup next project, '47 one ton panel 99% stock nearing completion, '47 2 ton with 8ba and 9' script stakebed, '46 1/2 ton woodie project,'59 F350 9' flareside pickup with cummins 6at. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #15
The 39 Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 11
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Just got home from a late afternoon trip in the woodie. I am still experiencing bucking and missing on the hills. It's hilly here, but no Steven's Pass kind of hilly. It's the 3rd gear long pull problem and just last week she quit altogether for a tow home. New rotor next morning vrooom, and on my way, but alas with the missing and sputtering recurring and 8 jobs going on at once in the woodshop, I'm wondering if I was to make the run in the 47 tonner with the diesel conversion, is that OK? There are no flathead ford guys on the island and I'm setting up to build a 255 merc for the woodie this winter. I know my tonner PU isn't a flathead any more and it certainly isn't a hot rod at only 210 cu in, but that inline turbo'd six climbs pretty well. At least I'd meet some flathead guys!
Well GB there is plenty of parking for non flathead powered cars and trucks on the property. We usually ask them to park on the south side of the field. I have parked there many times while my car was under construction or broken. Come on over and visit with the guys. Maybe you will find a solution to your missing and bucking problem while you visit.


Sam
The 39 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
GB SISSON
Senior Member
 
GB SISSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Orcas Island Washington
Posts: 2,601
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Thank you Sam.
__________________
'47 1/2 ton pickup next project, '47 one ton panel 99% stock nearing completion, '47 2 ton with 8ba and 9' script stakebed, '46 1/2 ton woodie project,'59 F350 9' flareside pickup with cummins 6at. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #17
The 39 Guy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 11
Default Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Okay guys this run is just one week away. it's time to make your final plans and dust off that old ride for the trip. Hope to see you there.


Remember to bring a mask for when you enter the restaurant to place your order.
The 39 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #18
RKS.PA
Senior Member
 
RKS.PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marana, AZ
Posts: 886
Thumbs up Re: 2020 East West Flathead Reliability Run to Monitor WA

Hope you all have a wonderful time....and hope the weather cooperates!! I remember from years past, this is a major "flathead" gathering and there will be some final tuning done this next week.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.