Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
peters180a/170b

Default ACME Rim Nut pictures on my profile

ACME rim nuts and N.O.S.stem with N.O.S. Caps. Doc. Kalinka of Chilton ,Wisconsin [you know Home of the Super Bowl champs] did the plating or seen to them so you can still read ACME on the stems. ACME only had 1 wheel with the air tire remove valve all others had the cap. And yes as Judging Standard ACME did use other hardware on their stems.ACME supplied tire valve hardware beginning in late 1929. The 30/31 rim nuts are super hard to find ! 2 people helped me with orginial rim nuts. 1 i bought from Gary Johnson who by the way was the "ONLY" person who answered my ad. when i was looking for them even though there are 3 people i have found out have n.o.s. sets of them . [THANKS for the help guys] NOT! .even when i wanted to leave a $500.00 deposit to loan 1.... And 1 on loan from Doc Kalinka. So there you have it. Will post soon so people who want to order them .As soon as some of the vulture's chime in on what they think of them....
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
5window

Default Re: ACME Rim Nut pictures on my profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
ACME rim nuts and N.O.S.stem with N.O.S. Caps. Doc. Kalinka of Chilton ,Wisconsin [you know Home of the Super Bowl champs] did the plating or seen to them so you can still read ACME on the stems. ACME only had 1 wheel with the air tire remove valve all others had the cap. And yes as Judging Standard ACME did use other hardware on their stems.ACME supplied tire valve hardware beginning in late 1929. The 30/31 rim nuts are super hard to find ! 2 people helped me with orginial rim nuts. 1 i bought from Gary Johnson who by the way was the "ONLY" person who answered my ad. when i was looking for them even though there are 3 people i have found out have n.o.s. sets of them . [THANKS for the help guys] NOT! .even when i wanted to leave a $500.00 deposit to loan 1.... And 1 on loan from Doc Kalinka. So there you have it. Will post soon so people who want to order them .As soon as some of the vulture's chime in on what they think of them....
Well, the ACME nuts are beautiful and I think you did a very fine job. But the Eeyore attitude? That would honestly make me think twice about dealing with you. And even a $500 dollar deposit wouldn't replace something made from unobtanium, so maybe we can't really blame the "hoarders".

Oh, and I wasn't aware that the Steelers were moving. A close game, certainly, but get real.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
peters180a/170b

Sorry ,,but the so called Eeyore[MY] attitude comes with dealing over the years from people who have more to say then what they put into this hobby.And please don't deal with me. I have been in this hobby since 1971 with no complaints.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
RockHillWill

Nice work Pete!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
spike

Nice work Pet....it takes a lot of work to do something like that and you should be proud of them......
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Ken Ehrenhofer

Hi Pete,
Great job on the stems WOW! I saw one at my barn the othernight! Only one question??? Is it posible to make the ACME inscription any deeper???
Thanks again for sending me the wood samples to do the doors on JK's 2 dr phaeton as they were a big help. The body has paint on it! YES it is almost ready for the Stone Gray one of these days. Kind of reminds me of your e-mails a couple of years ago.....
Thanks again for the help, I hope to post pictures soon,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Craig Lewis

That's certainly a good re-manufacture of a rare part.

Is there something available
...of THIS caliber...
in a Schrader TR83 6700 stem ??
or Schrader rim nuts ??
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
henry494

Nice reproduction part. The reason this part can be detected from the original is clearly seen in the side by side photograph. The original cover on the left has the vertical flutes extending all the way into the base area. The reproduction on the right does not, and that "ring" does not appear on originals. This is exactly why the reproduction cover should recieve a deduction during Blue Ribbon judging at MARC and MAFCA meets.

A direct comparison would be the excellent Schrader tire valve hardware put out by A&L. Great parts, almost the same as original, but enough differences that most judges will be able to detect them, therefore they usually get point deductions.

Many will now jump on the bandwagon that the judges would then be too "nit-picky" or whatever because the reproduction Acme cover is "close enough." I won't be responding because all of my responses would come directly from the Judging Standards which clearly speaks to the handling of reproduction parts, all of which we have covered many times before.

Pete; When you complained about people not helping you with your request for covers back whenever, you assume that everyone saw our ad.

Dave Lopes
henry494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Craig Lewis

Just following along and learning ...have to ask some questions.
1) now that Pete has educated nearly everybody on the ultra rarety of ACME hardware, won't every judge in the nation be watchfull and ready to deduct points when the sudden glut hits car shows?
2) will these pictures be in the new judging standards to illustrate the differences?
3) can somebody ...anybody ...share a picture of the Schrader 6700 stem by A&L so we can see the apparent quality?
I think most of us would like to see what's out there and this is an excellent venue to show it.
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
peters180a/170b

Lets people be the judge on the RING" NOT" ON A ORIGINAL RIM NUT??? Looks to me on picture # 3[original one does have a ring] and the ring would not be there if it was not on the original ring. Sorry most of us can not be perfect and parts made back then were not perfect. If CNC machine's were back then we will not have the Flutes extend to the base.What's the old saying: You can satisfy some of the people some of the time but in this case i satisfy MOST of the people. And that's what counts. Glad i am not selfish and made them all to myself and kept it quite. I play well with others in the sand box.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry494 View Post
Nice reproduction part. The reason this part can be detected from the original is clearly seen in the side by side photograph. The original cover on the left has the vertical flutes extending all the way into the base area. The reproduction on the right does not, and that "ring" does not appear on originals. This is exactly why the reproduction cover should recieve a deduction during Blue Ribbon judging at MARC and MAFCA meets.

A direct comparison would be the excellent Schrader tire valve hardware put out by A&L. Great parts, almost the same as original, but enough differences that most judges will be able to detect them, therefore they usually get point deductions.

Many will now jump on the bandwagon that the judges would then be too "nit-picky" or whatever because the reproduction Acme cover is "close enough." I won't be responding because all of my responses would come directly from the Judging Standards which clearly speaks to the handling of reproduction parts, all of which we have covered many times before.

Pete; When you complained about people not helping you with your request for covers back whenever, you assume that everyone saw our ad.

Dave Lopes
They are beautiful and they are a beautiful piece of machine work. But, there are obvious differences in the profile pictures 0313 and 0314 between the two fittings.
What's "close enough", I am no where near even qualified to say. But, they are different.

It is very good to have something this accurate be available. Each owner will need to decide, for themselves, how exact is exact.

Abraham Lincoln's actual quote was, "You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time".

No foolin'.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Abraham Lincoln's actual quote was, "You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time".
No foolin'.
And here I always thought that was P. T. Barnum....

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #13
Craig Lewis

I think we can all agree it's good to have reproduction parts available to us
...and great to have great reproduction parts!

For the folks though who sacrifice considerable time, skills & personal expense to present the finest authentic parts, there needs to be a higher score reserved...always.
It's the final, and often ONLY recognition for these people. Take away that recognition and you'll cut the heart and desire from Model A judging.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
peters180a/170b

Going by the Old judging standard the tire valve hardware total is 13 points out of the 35 points for this area. So at what point do you take off for a rim nut that has the flutes not all the way to the bottom?? You have correct plating[nickel] , correct material [brass] ,correct top , correct number of flutes [8] correct size base 23/64" ,correct hight 13/32"...Remember you have N.O.S. stems and N.O.S. caps ..So my question is at what percent of point or points shall be deducted??? And is it somewhere in print OR its the call of a Judge at that time??? Who makes the final call on the Deduction and based on what??? I would really like to know how much per rim nut based on the flute not going to the bottom...If it could be done it would of.Also remember too ,,a call on % per rim nut could determine the outcome of a totally Restored car from a next level of a award.I would not want that on my mind. Its not good being Anal .