Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
Glenn of northport

Default steering

How much play should be in a 1950 ford I just bought a 50 crestliner and it seams to have far more play then I feel is correct
Glenn of northport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: steering

The car can be jacked in the front to get the wheels off the ground. A person can check for play in the wheels centered position since that is the only spot where play should be minimal. Adjustment can be done at the top of the box to remove play from normal wear & tear. Now if you remove play and find that the steering has a notchy feel to it, there may be some spots on the worm where spalling of metal has taken place which makes the wear surfaces uneven and rough. If this happens or there is excessive wear on the sector roller gear then the box will need to be repaired or overhauled.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Paul Bennett

adding to rotorwrench: minimal play isn't 'no' play -
A caution about removing all box play at center position without checking full right and left. Elsewise full right or left can bind severely causing tense moments when driving. As the car lives at center the gears tends to wear there more than ends. - My experience in 1955. I've since learned there is more to removing play then tightening the top screw.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
50fordcoupeman

Chris W. at Shoe Box Central walked me thru the adjustment process on my '50. He said just loosen the nut on the top of the box but do NOT turn that screw. Then go underneath (after car is jacked up and steering wheel centered). Loosen the 4 bolts on the bottom of the box but do not remove that plate. The plate has slotted bolt holes. Move this plate about a 1/16", tightened bolts and try steering at the steering wheel. Do this until you are satisfied with steering slop. Then tighten nut on top of box. It took me several attempts to be satisfied. If you think you have moved the plate it is probably too much--very sensitive. Feel free to call Chris to verify.
Good luck!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Paul Bennett

Rich - do you really need to jack car up and go underneath to make the adjustment? I ask as with my narrow Optima battery I have full access to the top of the steering box and could theoretically slighly loosen the bottom bolts from the topside by feel. Secondly, it would be nice to know which way the adjustment goes. Given the sensitive nature of the adjustment, regards the slotted plate, are the slots lengthwise with the car or sidewise?
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
50fordcoupeman

Hi Paul,
I was told to jack it off the front wheels and besides I cant get to it without jacking it up and crawling under. The slots are such as to facilitate turning the bottom plate. IIRC I turned it clockwise to tighten the steering but not certain since it took me several attempts back and forth to get it. It was very sensitive and was not hard to get it so tight that I couldn't turn the wheel so hence the many attempts but there is virtually no play in the wheel now. Thank you Shoe Box Chris!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
Glenn of northport

Thanks I will give it a try Cheers
Glenn of northport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
fordv8j

I read in the v8 times about the bolts holding the sector to the frame rusting into,and lets the sector move....might check them
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
flatford8

There is very detailed explanation of this in the repair manual including loosening the steering box and column so they "find their spot" to prevent binding from the body settling. I did this to my '50 Fordor and it steers great. If you don't have a manual I may be able to copy it or you might find something on line...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
leon bee

When you say manual, is that the green cover book says 49-50-51 Ford Passenger? I just got mine in the mail and haven't studied it much yet.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote