Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
JOHN CT

Default Again with 6 to 12 volt inverters

I’m thinking about getting a 6 volt to 12 volt inverter to power the electronics in the A.
Two questions I have is has anyone used one like this one?
And with a positive ground system do you still wire the in put and out put wires positive ground or just the input?
It’s not fussed protect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-11V-T...-/122785982423

Thanks
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Again with 6 to 12 volt inverters

I use that brand power coverters all the time at work, for 24 to 12 volt conversion. However, I have never checked to see if the secondary is isolated from the primary. Simple enough to check. If you are planning on running a car radio or CB they both have negative ground to case/chassis so you will need isolation. If you are just planning on running a cigarette lighter, then its simple to just isolate the lighter. As far as your question how to wire positive ground input, Yes, Positive must go to red wire, negative to black. Doesn't matter which you use for ground, red is ALWAYS positive side of battery. And as far as not fused input, supply your own. Simply wire a fuse on the input side of the converter, I usually fuse at 2x the expected load or 1x the maximum load, whichever is less.

Last edited by eagle; 08-22-2018 at 03:43 PM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
MAG

On the unit you listed on ebay....... just the input? .
Old 08-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
eagle

Just looked up the specs online, says it is NOT isolated. Don't use it for a chassis grounded device.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Big hammer

120 watt output, thats a lot for only electronics!
On the input side RED + I would add a switch and an inline fuse, the red wire goes to the postive side on your battery. The input black wire goes to the battery - side.
Output side yellow wire is postive + the black wire is negative - .
This way you are changing, converting from 6 volt positive ground to 12 volt negative ground!
Using a power outlet ( cigarette lighter) you could the outlet for more than charging a cell phone or GPS !
Old 08-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Jim M

Wow, I never knew anything like this existed. My A is 6V positive ground. That being said is there any reason you could not run separate wires directly off the battery to this converter then to the flasher unit then on to signal lights. I am thinking of using separate lights installed on the bumpers - NOT any existing light fixtures? Would NOT be using the chassis as a ground. Just call me "Sparky"......lol
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Dick So. Cal.

I have this crazy idea. . . I was at Harbor Freight last week and saw 12 volt batteries that are used for scooters or small mobility devices. Cost about $50 or so. They are about 5" X 10" square and 10" high. If a guy mounted one of these in the trunk or under the seat somewhere and hook up his GPS or phone to it, it should work just fine (I think). The battery has enough power capacity run a cart, it could certainly power a low power hand held device.

You could hook up a small charger and recharge it when necessary. They weigh 10 lbs or so and could be removed from the car to charge if on a long tour.

What do you guys think of my idea?

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
JOHN CT

[QUOTE=Dick So. Cal.;1666306]I have this crazy idea. . . I was at Harbor Freight last week and saw 12 volt batteries that are used for scooters or small mobility devices. Cost about $50 or so. They are about 5" X 10" square and 10" high. If a guy mounted one of these in the trunk or under the seat somewhere and hook up his GPS or phone to it, it should work just fine (I think). The battery has enough power capacity run a cart, it could certainly power a low power hand held device.

You could hook up a small charger and recharge it when necessary. They weigh 10 lbs or so and could be removed from the car to charge if on a long tour.

I think that’s a good idea! I’m going to check into it. But can you charge that battery with a 12 volt battery charger?
Old 08-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
davehc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick So. Cal. View Post
I have this crazy idea. . . I was at Harbor Freight last week and saw 12 volt batteries that are used for scooters or small mobility devices. Cost about $50 or so. They are about 5" X 10" square and 10" high. If a guy mounted one of these in the trunk or under the seat somewhere and hook up his GPS or phone to it, it should work just fine (I think). The battery has enough power capacity run a cart, it could certainly power a low power hand held device.

Dick
That is basically what I did four years ago , buy putting the turn signals on there own circuit powered buy the battery laying under the seat , and a mini toggle on the column . haven't had to charge the battery yet , works fine . here is a link to the battery I used .
https://www.chromebattery.com/12v-9a...connector.html
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
MrBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN CT View Post
I’m thinking about getting a 6 volt to 12 volt inverter to power the electronics in the A.
Two questions I have is has anyone used one like this one?
And with a positive ground system do you still wire the in put and out put wires positive ground or just the input?
It’s not fussed protect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-11V-T...-/122785982423

Thanks

John CT
You don't have to have a inverter...both your phone and GPS will run on 5 volts. If you PM me I will send you an article that shows how to hook it up and I also have a little unit the size of a jump drive that has two USB ports and you can hook up your items to that.
MrBruce
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
John CT
You don't have to have a inverter...both your phone and GPS will run on 5 volts. If you PM me I will send you an article that shows how to hook it up and I also have a little unit the size of a jump drive that has two USB ports and you can hook up your items to that.
MrBruce
Yup - anything you can plug into a PC is +5vdc driven. Your cig lighter cell charger and gps cord take the 12-14v car power and knocks it down to 5vdc before going to your device.

Those usb things mentioned above are much easier to conceal and can be hidden behind the dash rail.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:15 AM   #12
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
John CT
MrBruce
sent PM
Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
ModelAMike1930

I used one of those 6 to 12 volt inverters to install a 12 volt car radio.Make sure both inverter and what you want to power is isolated from the model a . Mine works great.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #14
eagle

Answer to OP question. Yes, the converter you listed IS capable of converting your 6 volt positive ground car power to 12 v negative ground. Just run two wires, a positive AND negative, from the converter to whatever device you want to use. Just make sure the negative (black) wire does not come into contact with the car chassis. Those converters are very tough and reliable as long as you use treat them properly.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
Dick Steinkamp

Just to be clear, a power INVERTER changes DC current to AC current.

A step up CONVERTER is used to change 6V DC to 12V DC.

Here is one example of a STEP DOWN converter to change 6V DC into 5V DC to charge electronic devices through a USB...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-12V-2...oAAOSwywRaQiBZ

Old 08-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
nhusa

I put 12 V LED stop lights on my 31 Town sedan.

I started by getting cheap trailer lights from Harbor Freight and a $12.00 convertor, invertor, diverter, revertator, deplorable thingy on Ebay.

I made brackets to attach the lights to the bumper without drilling holes, mounted the thingy to a bracket, and wired the lights.

Then I attached the positive input on the thingy to the frame of the vehicle and the negative input to the brake light switch - all without drilling holes or cutting into wires.

When I press the brake pedal the old stop light and new lights work - technology is amazing!

LEDs use very little power so I can get away with a cheap thingy. The one I got is sealed so I don't have be concerned with water or dogs making it wet.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #17
antiquepa

Put one on my 39 chevy, i wired it direct from battery w/fuse to the cig. lighter so i can use a gps or other 12 volt devise. Make it simple, hope this helps!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote