Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
1929closed cab

Default 2 Tooth or 7

I'm putting my 29 PU back together...as was wondering would I be better with a 2 tooth or 7 tooth Steering box...any suggestions.
Thanks Fred in Colorado
1929closed cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
MAG

Default Re: 2 Tooth or 7

My preference is the 2 tooth because it is easy to rebuild, parts are available and the adjustments are improved over the 7 tooth. The Service Bullitens have excellent adjustment procedures for the 2 tooth.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Ron in Quincy

The two tooth sector gear was used in 1929 (after May, I seem to recall) . It had a splined shaft and used the 29 type steering wheel and spark and throttle rods, I dont know if you can locate one of these steering gear complete but its worth a try.
The two tooth is a much better steering gear. You can help a seven tooth by installing a short pitman arm which are being made new by Snyders. As a matter of fact I installed on on my Feb. 29 Roadster and it sure eased up the steering.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
1929closed cab

Thumbs up Re: 2 Tooth or 7

Thanks much!! I most likely go with the 2 tooth! Wasn't sure what the preference was!
Thanks Fred
Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929closed cab View Post
I'm putting my 29 PU back together...as was wondering would I be better with a 2 tooth or 7 tooth Steering box...any suggestions.
Thanks Fred in Colorado
It would seem like the first question should be what type of steering box do you currently have available to you? Or do you not have any at this time? If you have a 29 CCPU like mine was, it had a 7 tooth box in it. From what I have heard on the Barn, if it does or did have the 7 tooth box, it may take some work to convert to the 2 tooth. Just a couple of thoughts.

I rebuilt my 7 tooth and so far it has worked well. But like was pointed out, the 2 tooth has some advantages. So good luck with whatever you do.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
brucesp

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have a 7 tooth, which is missing an important adjustment the 2 tooth has - gear lash. On the 2 tooth, you can adjust the distance between the worm and sector gear. On the 7 tooth, any wear that loosens that up calls for replacing the whole gear set.

Anyone have a suggestion for tightening up a 7 tooth other than a complete rebuild?
brucesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucesp View Post
I have a 7 tooth, which is missing an important adjustment the 2 tooth has - gear lash. On the 2 tooth, you can adjust the distance between the worm and sector gear. On the 7 tooth, any wear that loosens that up calls for replacing the whole gear set.

Anyone have a suggestion for tightening up a 7 tooth other than a complete rebuild?
I have not heard of any way to adjust the 7 tooth.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
brucesp

Yes, end-play is adjustable for both the worm and sector gear in a 7 tooth. Mesh is not. I was just hoping someone had come up with a reasonably easy fix similar to the 2 tooth's mesh adjustment. Installing a late model steering column won't really work for me.
brucesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
1929closed cab

I have both the 2 and a 7 tooth...Going with the 2 tooth. My frame is almost done except for one rear brake drum which I should have done by this weekend. Body is at the strippers. 3 years latter I'm gaining on it!
Thanks Fred
Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

Default Re: adjusting the 7 Tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
"Ford Service Bulletins" , page 240-241: "Adjustments: End play in the steering shaft can be easily taken up by removing one or more of the brass shims which are placed between steering shaft lower bearing assembly and end of housing. End play in the sector shaft can be compensated for by loosening lock nut and slightly turning the steering worm sector thrust screw. The slotted screw shown in Fig 497 is the steering worm sector thrust screw. When correct adjustment is obtained be sure to tighten the lock nut, keeping the screw driver in screw slot to prevent screw turning when tightening lock nut. After taking up end play in either sector or shaft, steering gear assembly should be carefully checked to make sure adjustments were correctly made and there is no bind or drag at any point."

Don Turley
www.donturley.com
I stand corrected. Thanks Don. Yes I now do remember reading this and I did do these things when I redid the old 7 tooth. Guess it must be the old brain fade hitting again.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929closed cab View Post
I have both the 2 and a 7 tooth...Going with the 2 tooth. My frame is almost done except for one rear brake drum which I should have done by this weekend. Body is at the strippers. 3 years latter I'm gaining on it!
Thanks Fred
I remember something on the Barn about having to make changes if your rig had a 7 tooth and you want to install a 2 tooth. I am sure someone on the Barn knows much more about this than I do and may respond.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
john charlton

The 7 tooth gear lash can be adjusted. This accomplished by making an offset bush .The bush is machined to a slip fit and after adjustment is locked by an industrial epoxy glue. The worm is a "two start" so can be rotated 180 degrees effectively so in the dead ahead position the sector is engaged in a "new" bit of the worm. My local "A" machine shop has done dozens over the years and never ever had one become "unglued". There was a demand here for this service as RHD 7 tooth repro parts were not available.

John in cloudy afternoon England
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote