Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Ken Arms

Default banjo steering wheel on a 34?

There has been some threads about banjo steering wheels lately that reminded me..I would love to adapt one to my 34. Have any of the barners ever made this conversion? I believe I read somewhere that the steering shaft and key way are the same up through the years although the bevel at the end of the column may not match up. My original 34 horn rod is in good shape and obviously it would be great if I could use it with the banjo. I'm up for some modification as long as it can go back. Thanks John for your pm response. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: banjo steering wheel on a 34?

It would fit except the horn button wouldn't , itd need to be the one that matches the banjo eg 1935/36 or in the case of a 37 through 39 wheel a 34 may fit. Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
OLD...BILL

YES: as Ted said it will work ...with some modification and your good to go ( go for it ) it's a nice up grade .............OLD............BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
quickchange34

I have a 39 banjo on my 34 three window . Use your 34 horn rod and machine a spacer that will push in the 39 banjo and has the same inside dia, of the 34 horn rod . You will have to bevel the inside dia. to fit the horn rod. You can either paint it or polish it.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Terry,OH

You will have to consider the "dish" of the steering wheel you wish to install. Some are nearly flat. I believe the 34 has a bit of a dish to keep your hands above and away from the 34 dash. I believe all the early V8 steering column shafts have the same taper, key and use the same nut.
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Mart

Somewhere there is a description of the orientation of the keyway slot. It may be different between 34 and 37 or so. You would have to check if the wheel would end up the right way. (I think there is a right way for a banjo wheel, with 2 spokes up and one down).

Again, I could be wrong, but I would at least check.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
32phil

I'm in the process of putting a 39 banjo in my 32 pick-up. The wheel is a 39 banjo cut down years ago by Bob Juliano I think it's 15" dia. It was one of the first wheels he did. The flair at the bottom is worn/damaged so we cleaned it up some. The rim was roached too. At least we saved a wheel that would have been lost. I'm using a 32 light rod ( I had a 32 light rod with a badly damaged center $5 item @ Hershey a few yrs ago). I put the 32 rod in the 39 center and so far it all looks good. The steering tube is a cut down 37-39 that had a mashed bottom (header clearance I guess). It matches the flair on the wheel (almost, cause of the damage to the wheel)). so far looks OK. I have similar set up on my roadster and that looks pretty good too. Both cars have working 32 column drops ( I am the Lock & Key Guy after All !) I think you will like the look of the later wheel in your 34
Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
Ken Arms

Wow! All good info guys. Terry and Mart you both make a good point. I had not thought about those issues. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
art0908

I am in the process right now.The back of the hub hits the column before the taper seats.Some surgery is needed on the back side of the hub,some lathe work.By the way I bought a repro 39' wheel from Midwest early ford and the taper is WRONG!!! They have had the wheel back for about a month,nothing yet, just a lot of bs about it being modified.
art0908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
deuce_roadster

I put a 37 banjo in my 32 coupe, used the 37 horn button and attached a 32 light rod to it (37 was way too long) and used the stock headlight switch
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote