Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
doug.nichols

Smile Rear End Dolly

Thought someone might be interested in seeing my solution to a rear end dolly. Going to drop the rear end/old Borg Warner overdrive and original tranny out of my 29 roadster. Installing new Mitchel synchro tranny and new Mitchel overdrive. Not a welder so wood will have to do. No, it hasn't been tested yet. Fingers crossed. (Oh, and and after mind numbing review of threads related to removing or not removing the rear springs, I have opted to leave them in place with a robust spreader I purchased from Snyder's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DN Dolley.jpg (69.0 KB, 138 views)
doug.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: Rear End Dolly

That's a nice rear end dolly. I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing with our Model A, replacing a Borg overdrive with a Mitchell. I just lay the rear end on a rolling table I happen to have and work on there. I also left the rear spring on the car with a sturdy spring spreader.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
doug.nichols

After I built this thing I discovered a thread that contained a cool solution to the problem which was to cut plywood wheels and just roll the rear end assembly around on them....wish I would have thought of that.
doug.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
whirnot

When I put my Mitchell transmission in, I didn't use a spreader or a dolly. I just cut 2x4 blocks to fit from the spring perches to the top of the differential housing, and drilled a depression in one end to center on the top bolt.
Then after removing the wheels, I let the axle down so the backing plates sat on small skid plates made from plywood. Then just slid the axle back. But I did have the car on the hoist.Next time I will make plywood wheels.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
J Franklin

I use tire dollies. I like your creativeness.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
daveymc29

I might make one to put my B/W back in the coupe. I like the helical cut gears in the B/W. I have a Mitchell in my roadster and am making a change from 3:78 to 4:11 in my coupe to see how I like the combo of 33% O/D and 4:11. Seems it might pull the Sierras a bit better than the roadster with 3:54 and 26% Mitchell. Would have used a Laycock if I could have found a 33% one. (Hens teeth, those ones)
I need to make the dolly real low as I need to clear the air conditioning condenser which is behind the banjo a few inches. Maybe some low rolling casters like on some chairs? I'll look into it.

Last edited by daveymc29; 08-08-2019 at 10:31 PM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I need to make the dolly real low as I need to clear the air conditioning condenser which is behind the banjo a few inches. Maybe some low rolling casters like on some chairs? I'll look into it.
Davey,
The A/C Condenser is only mounted with 4 bolts (at least mine is). Should be easy enough to just to swing it out of the way without disconnecting the hoses.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #8
daveymc29

Thanks CarlG. Another option opens. I had thought of that and then figured, without even looking, that it couldn't swing that far. Tomorrow I'll check that out. I usually just drag things along the concrete floor with a small dolly under the front of the torque tube. If that thing moves enough I'll use two dollies, one front and one rear. I'm high enough that way if the condenser will cooperate.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote