Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
Synchro909

Default 2 tooth sterering box

So I'm trying to put one of these steering boxes together using Les Andrews' book as a guide. I say "AS A GUIDE" only because I have to wonder if this guy has ever seen a RHD sterring box. He talks of the Steering shaft end play adjusting bolt being on top of he box. It is on the side. He talks of 3 turns lock to lock. It is 2 3/4. There is more too. We all know there are errors in his book so maybe I'm missing something. That's why I'm now turning to the store of knowledge here on the forum.
What I have now is when I put the sector shaft and its housing on the steering box, the steering shaft is locked. I've tried all of the adjustments and got some improvement but when I adjust the accentric nut to remove play in the pitman arm, the shaft is locked after I do up the nut on the sector housing. If I back off the accentric enough to allow the shaft to move, I have about 4 inches freeplay in the steerijng wheel (yet none in the pitman arm.)
There is no end play in the steering shaft and none in the sector shaft. I've tried palying with the centralisation rivet but there is no imporovement.
Does anybody have a suggestion to help me get this gizmo right? Anybody with experience with RHD 2 tooth steering boxes?
Old 09-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: 2 tooth sterering box

If your worm and sector are new, it should adjust. If old and worn, that is your problem. We have all been right where you are today. Even when you get it adjusted good, when you tighten the cover bolts, it will become tight and start to squawk when you load it up. It is a cut and try situation. Good luck.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
If your worm and sector are new, it should adjust. If old and worn, that is your problem. We have all been right where you are today. Even when you get it adjusted good, when you tighten the cover bolts, it will become tight and start to squawk when you load it up. It is a cut and try situation. Good luck.
Sometimes the worm is OK but the sector teeth are so indented that one can't get equal lash at each extreme and the sector teeth bottom out. The Service Bulletins outline the factory procedure as well as good info. on this site.. Not sure what is meant by the steering shaft adjusting bolt being on the side. Without knowing Andrew's book, isn't the sector shaft adjusting screw the side one with the large lock nut? . The top bolt (on left hand drive 2 tooth gears) is to adjust thrust bearing end play of the long steering shaft so the worm doesn't move up/ down.

Last edited by duke36; 09-02-2018 at 02:05 PM.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
john in illinois

I found the service bulletins easier to use than Les's book.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Synchro909

I should have mentioned that the worm and sector are new. Cold here this morning so I'll be in the workshop hopefully not getting even more frustrated.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I should have mentioned that the worm and sector are new. Cold here this morning so I'll be in the workshop hopefully not getting even more frustrated.
Forgot to mention to perhaps check the dimensions of the sector shaft at the teeth and area from teeth / shaft, etc. if you can compare to an old one. Hopefully the repro's were machined correctly.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Forgot to mention to perhaps check the dimensions of the sector shaft at the teeth and area from teeth / shaft, etc. if you can compare to an old one. Hopefully the repro's were machined correctly.
Thanks. I thought of that but I got the bare housing for this steering box from a deceased estate so I have no original innards.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #8
quickchange

Arnold, Just put two together with all new parts. No problems apart from the cost,
There was some faulty sectors available few years back, Mainly when you fitted the drop arm too the sector shaft the drop arm at the ball end was 1" out hence non free play was not in straight ahead position ,there was two suppliers of them ,Not your problem ,Are you adjusting correctly, ie final adjustment must be in clockwise direction, Better send it to me ??? Cheers Derek
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #9
updraught

I'd be interested to see a photo of the box. My 29 version seems to have 32 inards with the 32 pitman arm with the replacable ball.

I think the Australian service bulletins use LHD diagrams. (can't check at the moment)
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:23 AM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Arnold, Just put two together with all new parts. No problems apart from the cost,
There was some faulty sectors available few years back, Mainly when you fitted the drop arm too the sector shaft the drop arm at the ball end was 1" out hence non free play was not in straight ahead position ,there was two suppliers of them ,Not your problem ,Are you adjusting correctly, ie final adjustment must be in clockwise direction, Better send it to me ??? Cheers Derek
Derek, I have it together and although it is a bit tight with nearly 1" free play at the steering wheel, I think it will settle. I had to adjust the ends of the teeth on the sector to get anythging like propper engagement in the worm. Maybe I had one of those dodgey sectors. The tightness is consistent lock to lock so I must have it as good as it going to get.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #11
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Derek, I have it together and although it is a bit tight with nearly 1" free play at the steering wheel, I think it will settle. I had to adjust the ends of the teeth on the sector to get anythging like propper engagement in the worm. Maybe I had one of those dodgey sectors. The tightness is consistent lock to lock so I must have it as good as it going to get.
It appears as you state you may have a bad-fitting sector gear, some made in S. America, etc.. The teeth ends should not bottom out on the worm if that makes sense. Also, with good fitting parts, the center freeplay can get down to less than 1/4" with equal lash at both extremes with the 2 tooth Gemmer box.
1" is pretty good but more adjustment may reduce it a little when done on the work bench. Also, use 250 wt or thicker oil if you can get it. Some like corn head grease which thins out when warm, etc..
Old 09-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #12
Marshall V. Daut

Almost every time I had problems like this with a two-tooth box, it turned out the large rivet at the bottom of the housing needed more tweaking. A little twist in either direction makes a big difference. This adjustment isn't so critical with used gears still in the car and worn in against each other, but it is very important when installing a new worm and sector. The lash in either direction MUST be equal in order to get the mesh correct between the two. If this is off, the adjustment with the large eccentric nut will become very frustrating, if not impossible to get down to a minimal free play at dead center. Use a dial indicator if possible to determine equal movement for this fourth adjustment - then go back and perform the standard three adjustments. Of course, this is MUCH easier to perform with the steering column out of the car and secured in a vise.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #13
john charlton

Rhd and Lhd adjust just same as they are a mirror image of each other .Some Rhd boxes do have the shaft bearing endplay nut/bolt on the side instead of the top,maybe this is a Ford or Gemmer thing maybe I will look into that.

John in lovely weather today Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Rhd and Lhd adjust just same as they are a mirror image of each other .Some Rhd boxes do have the shaft bearing endplay nut/bolt on the side instead of the top,maybe this is a Ford or Gemmer thing maybe I will look into that.

John in lovely weather today Suffolk County England .
Les Andrews says that the eccentric nut should be turned clockwise to get the correct position. Because we are working on the other side of the steering box, does that mean we should turn anticlockwise? I suspect so and that once again, Les comes up short.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #15
quickchange

No turn it clockwise unless your aussie clocks turn counter clockwise ?? just kidding
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #16
Dave Slater

Arnold, there were two different 2 tooth steering boxes for Right Hand Drive. The early one had the adjustment on the top of the box - it was modified to the side shortly thereafter as the carburettor choke arm fouled on the adjustment bolt. It sounds like you have a bodgey made in Argentina sector and/or worm! Dave
Dave Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

My understanding is that all FOUR adjustments have to be made in sequence, again, and again, and again until it's right.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Slater View Post
Arnold, there were two different 2 tooth steering boxes for Right Hand Drive. The early one had the adjustment on the top of the box - it was modified to the side shortly thereafter as the carburettor choke arm fouled on the adjustment bolt. It sounds like you have a bodgey made in Argentina sector and/or worm! Dave
Maybe I do. The sector came with the box, the worm is new so I don't know the origins of the sector.If I am not happy with it, I'll buy a new sector and try again.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #19
Synchro909

At our Model A club meeting last night I was discussing this issue with one of the members. He has a similar oppinion of Les Andrews' books as I do (I'll leave it at that!). Seems the problem was that I followed his instructions and adjusted the sector shaft end play too early.
Today, I backed off the adjustment, then went through the rest of the process and once everything else was right, I adjusted the end play.
I now have a steering box with virtually no free play and no bindiong anywhere.
The only reason I am posting this follow up is for someone in the future who might find (need) this thread and to thank those who offered advice.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:03 AM   #20
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

That's great. Let us know how it is when you put it in the car and down on it's wheels.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote