Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #41
gustafson
BANNED

Default Re: Is it a bad time to sell?

Your originating post asked "what we think". We told you. Fix the negatives, sell the car
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #42
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
Your originating post asked "what we think". We told you. Fix the negatives, sell the car
And I thought the HAMB was a rough crowd! In fact, consider listing it over on the HAMB might be a plan as those guys aren't cheap!
Old 04-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #43
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafson View Post

Very succinct and very true !
If you do not want the valued opinions of A owners, then you should refrain from asking for such opinions.
I've seen/read nothing here in this thread , but answers to what was askded for. Sometimes the truth in 'inconvenient' and bothersome , but that seems ever more the case in the world these days.

Put a little sugar on it honey...maybe would sell a A quicker or make it purdier ?

Heck, if it doesn't sell, keep driving it and having fun with it(soft top), in that rainy area.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #44
Anton Voycheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
You can look at my ad and see what you think. https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6551823839.html

Any advice will be appreciated,

QUOTE = wingski:

To all of you who haven’t knocked or belittled my car, Thank you very much.

Mike

You asked for opinions: "Any advice will be appreciated."

Looks like it is a buyer's market for Model A cars.
Anton Voycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #45
Anteek29

Looks like it is a buyer's market for Model A cars.[/QUOTE]

Seems to be so...I believe we Model A owners are getting older and some
are "thinning the collection" and downsizing. Also, there are plenty of A's out there.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #46
slammin

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Model A's reasonable prices are what attracted me to the brand to start with. What other 90 year old car can you buy, many with frame off restorations, for under 15 grand? Mike's car looks like a good example. Granted, there are things that will turn off the "purist." Most are easily reversible. If he has a stock intake and carb, he should pull the twin carbs. Loose the fender finders, and perhaps the driving lights. If he has a major street close by, he should park it there with a for sale sign on it. How motivated is one to sell their A? Most offered for upper teens will take time, maybe lots of time. I still see cars offered today that were for sale over a year ago. Some look like excellent buys, but are still for sale.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #47
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
And I thought the HAMB was a rough crowd! In fact, consider listing it over on the HAMB might be a plan as those guys aren't cheap!
Yeah, list it on the HAMB, and in six months the "original Model A running gear" will be listed for sale and the body will be hacked up for a street/rat/hot rod!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #48
1931 flamingo

But at least it will get sold.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #49
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
Selling online is about looks. I would remove all unnecessary accessory that it didn't come with from factory. lights, dual carbs, marvel jug, mirrors, and exposed wiring. Hide it away or remove it you can give them a box full of it if they want it. I would sell it all on ebay and return $500. Take down the picture with the head off. People dont want to buy cars that were worked on by the owner. No matter your skills they dont want to see it or hear about it. Let them figure out on their own a model a is a labour of love or wallet. All these cars have had work done you dont see it in the adds. Also craigslist is a collection of scams low ballers who wont value rarity and experts who watch the flow of cars and saw yours for cheaper last month. You dont need to change your price the right buyer may come along. But you may have cost yourself money by listing for cheaper before. Most of all open wiring in cab on a car that is so simple is unacceptable if you want the most for it.

Also your add is confusing about if the car is assembled currently or not by the photos. And the text should be changed to reflect mileage, how long you have owned it, if it runs drives stops, and when the paint/interior/engine/trans/brakes/tires were done. You could get an appraisal and that might help a person that wants a Model A that will appreciate but knows nothing about what really will as far as rarity and has the money to spend.
This is all good advice- When I'm buying a car a simple thing like exposed wiring is enough to turn me off it especially if there are others for sale. Not sure why as something like that is an easy fix but it must be pyschological
Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #50
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
\When I'm buying a car a simple thing like exposed wiring is enough to turn me off it especially if there are others for sale. Not sure why as something like that is an easy fix but it must be pyschological
Karl
If you're like me, I think exposed wiring make it look incomplete and makes me wonder what other job(s) is incomplete. Doesn't take much Classic Braid (or similar) to cover wires.

But like Bill said, I'm sure people could pick apart (and they have, on here and elsewhere) if given the chance...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-09-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #51
Joe31

Remember model T's. Model A's are next. Fewer buyers, mean lower prices.
Joe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #52
Joe31

Go to the sold listings on Ebay. Thats what buyers all over the world are paying.
Joe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #53
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe31 View Post
Remember model T's. Model A's are next. Fewer buyers, mean lower prices.
Try to buy a Brass Model T in good condition.

Your right that A’s are next. The poorly maintained, worn out cars will be hard to or impossible to sell.

But also do not forget that a Model A can be driven like a modern car. A Model T needs a different group of driving skills.

Good T’s are in the low to mid teens, I think there are a lot of Model A owners that would be happy in that price range.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #54
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Only takes one buyer. Send your ad to model A club in your area.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #55
Roadster62

The color, 19 inch wheels, and all the little details, and bolt of doodads all add up. Has anyone opened up their head on the step plate screws?
Old 04-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #56
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
Wouldn’t it be nice to see someone driving this thing who didn’t have white hair or none at all?
That is not likely. Unless it were a hot rod.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #57
G_Don

I'm a younger guy, (23) and got a phaeton. I looked for over a year looking for roadsters and phaetons. Cars priced over 14k that were open seemed to take a lot longer to sell, whereas cars in the 8-12 range sold rather quickly (being open cars), atleast in my craiglist searches from jun 2016 to july 2017 in the east coast (virginia to maine) area. I saw a lot of decent stock tudors/coupes go for 5-7k. Some with pretty nice paint too.

I definitely think anyone wanting over 15k cash for a model a regardless of condition is gonna wait a while, not to take away anything from your vehicle.

Also, craigslist in my opinion is filled with people that want a good deal. I got my car for 3500 less than the guy was asking, after it had been for sale for a little over 2 weeks.

Hope I didnt offend you. Just mt $0.02 about what I know from buying and looking at Model As on craigslist.
G_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #58
gustafson
BANNED

I did not know red fan blades were stock
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #59
F.M.
BANNED

How about the front Motor Mount ? Plus no Cowl lacing ?
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:56 AM   #60
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Don View Post
I saw a lot of decent stock tudors/coupes go for 5-7k. Some with pretty nice paint too.
Another thread has descended into fantasy land.

$5K buys you a decent Tudor??? Give me a break. What's "decent" to you? No bullet holes or trees growing out of it? The only way you'll get a quality car for that price is if the old boy selling has dementia and you take advantage of him.

Paint, rust and sheet metal issues are a big deal unless you can do the work yourself. It costs many thousands of $ to turn decent into nice. Best to buy the nicest car your budget will allow rather than trying to save a couple of thousand $.

I challenge anyone who thinks the asking price for this car is too much to find another one in better condition for under $20K. Of course, it must be a cabriolet otherwise you're comparing apples and oranges. There are 300+ Model As on Hemmings alone, so you should be able to find 2 or 3 cars if what you believe is correct.

Last edited by M2M; 04-10-2018 at 02:22 AM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote