Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
CT AV8

Default Re: What kind of brake drums are these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Paul,why do you think they are 35 backing plates? They look like 11 inch A to me.The 32 up brakes are completely different.The actuating lever sticks up on the A,it hangs down on the later ones.The kingpin head sticks ahead of the kingpin on the A,it sticks out behind it on the 32 and up.I collected a bunch of later 12 inch brake stuff years ago,thinking I was going to put some nice 12 inch cast brakes on my A.Not an easy conversion.I still have a bunch of 12 inch brake drums hanging around from that pipe dream.
Keith,
It's not a pipe dream at all. I installed '35 front brakes (drums and b.p's) on our '30 AV8 and it's a breeze. The easiest work I've done on the car. You need the spacers used to mount juice brakes on '28-'35 spindles and it's a complete bolt on. The rears are more problematic and I haven't gotten to that yet. At front you keep the Model A kingpins and actuators but need the '35 brake operating pins (cupped vs ball on bottom end). I've been told '35 rears can work if inverted and reversed d/s to p/s. BCChopit has done it with '32-'34 rears on his Model A so I know that can be done and I thank him for showing me how to do it. '35's have 1.75" shoes vs 1.5" so you get more braking. It's amazing how much better it stops even with just the 12" cast iron fronts. Last pic shows required spacer on '32 spindles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1701.jpg (53.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1702.jpg (61.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1703.jpg (56.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1704.jpg (57.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1707.jpg (76.9 KB, 66 views)
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote