Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Jailbar windshield install

I am planning on picking up my windshield glass today and would like to install it myself. I have read threads on the search here, but don't see anything about 2 piece with the center division bar. Youtube videos with pickup rear glass looks pretty straightforward. I have new gasket I bought from Drake. What can I expect when I get to the center post? So far the screws on the inside trim come out ok. Thanks.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: Jailbar windshield install

Lots of soap,nylon string and wipe the string down with bar soap. i put the left side in first. The gaskets are a pain and its easier with 2 people. My pop could install them like it was magic

The center strip. Get longer screws to start it but be careful not to go too far getting it started or you will dent the outside bar. Then swap the screws one at a time to get the correct length ones back in.

Dont tighten the center all at once. Snug them and let it sit a day then snug them up again
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
GB SISSON

Thank you very much. That's what I needed, some good hints. The woodie has a huge cataract on the driver's side windshield. I'm driving it on a trip off island on Tuesday through Saturday and I hear there are lots more cars and traffic over there. Gonna try to avoid interstate 5 as much as I can, but either way good visibility is important especially on the mainland.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
burnette

gary i installed mine with a Buddy ,we had them in and out 3 times before it looked ok. the rubbers would twist and the exterior lip had 1/4 gap on top. we greased the rubber with vaseline the last try. they go in from the Inside and i think left side first. were i had the most trouble was installing divider bar,the hole in the rubber didn,t align. ended up doing a good job i washed it and no water came in ! instruction are not very clear.
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnette View Post
gary i installed mine with a Buddy ,we had them in and out 3 times before it looked ok. the rubbers would twist and the exterior lip had 1/4 gap on top. we greased the rubber with vaseline the last try. they go in from the Inside and i think left side first. were i had the most trouble was installing divider bar,the hole in the rubber didn,t align. ended up doing a good job i washed it and no water came in ! instruction are not very clear.
Now I'm getting a bit scared.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
skidmarks

Ice pick helps with the holes in the center. I dont remember which manufacturer but it didnt fit at all. I think the ones i have had success with came from Carpenter

Put the gaskets on the glass and let them sit in the sun for a day before installing helps too.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
GB SISSON

I'll be spending 5 days in the sun with a bunch of mechanically minded guys for helpers. I'll be driving to the Puget Sound Antique tractor and machinery show at Lynden Wa, and sleeping in the back of the woodie. (In an old canvas sleeping bag so as not to spoil the ambiance.) Haven't missed in 30 years. Visibility should be better on the way home than going. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
pooch

When I did mine, after the two halves are in, I got a wide wood wedge and prised the glasses sideways into their channels, so the centre bar would fit .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote