Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Fortunateson

Question '32 Axle Questions

I have a couple of questions you gurus may be able to answer. I've heard of '32 "heavy" axles and in the current issue of Hot Rod it mentions that these were on in '32. Were all '32 axles "heavy" or were there a standard one sas well. I have a dropped axle which is supposed to be a '32. These is Ford script on the axle folloed by B 3010. Would this indicate anything? Thanks in advance.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: '32 Axle Questions

Ignore the myth! There was only one front axle used originally on all '32 passenger cars and commercial vehicles. The front axle was progressively "lightened" with smaller cross sections from the spring perches to the outer ends of the axle on the '33s and then overall on the '34s. The '32 and '33 versions were not serviced after the '33 model year as the '34 version became the only one offered as a service part.

As a result, if a '32 had a damaged front axle after 1933 the only service axle available to replace it was the lighter '34 axle. After 50 or 80 years later, such a vehicle with a replaced axle "appears" (and does in fact) to have a lighter front axle and the thought seems to be that it was built that way. Those with experience with lots of original '32s know that bent front axles aren't exactly rare and the replacement of one way back when would not be a rare occurence.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Steve/IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Ignore the myth! There was only one front axle used originally on all '32 passenger cars and commercial vehicles. The front axle was progressively "lightened" with smaller cross sections from the spring perches to the outer ends of the axle on the '33s and then overall on the '34s. The '32 and '33 versions were not serviced after the '33 model year as the '34 version became the only one offered as a service part.

As a result, if a '32 had a damaged front axle after 1933 the only service axle available to replace it was the lighter '34 axle. After 50 or 80 years later, such a vehicle with a replaced axle "appears" (and does in fact) to have a lighter front axle and the thought seems to be that it was built that way. Those with experience with lots of original '32s know that bent front axles aren't exactly rare and the replacement of one way back when would not be a rare occurence.
DavidG,

I have had numerous 'discussions' trying to explain what you so eloquently stated. If you don't mind, I'll will use your explanation in the future or, if the inquisitor still doesn't buy into it, I will refer him to this post. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Fortunateson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

Well that makes sense! Now what about the "B 3010" marking? Thanks.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
117harv

I agree, there is only one 32 axle, however here is a thread with some interesting info, hybrid 33 axle, part new, part old 32...hummm

The Differences In Early Ford Axels
117harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Krylon32

I have a 32 mor dor that appears to have never been taken apart save for the front fenders being removed I suspect for an engine change. It has the later replacement axle that appears to have been there for a long time. First 32 front I've had that wasn't the heavier axle.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If the axle was changed out within a few years of 32, say 34 or 35 or even 36 or 37, do you think you would be able to detect that? I'm not saying you could or could not, I have no idea, the thought just popped into my head as it would be about the same time period before the present.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
supereal

The B-3010 is a 32-36 axle used in both passenger cars and "commercial" models.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
DavidG

The part number is the same, but not the axles themselves. It's a somewhat uncommon example of Ford not changing the part number when the only thing of substance that changed was the appearance of the part, not the part's functionality.

Many original '32 front axles do not have a forged-in part number. The letters 'EE' sometimes are present and an occasional 'X'.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote