Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
6lucky13

Default Too Tall Coil

I’ve been troubleshooting my rough running issue (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247907) and was isolating on the coil. I found that a rebuilt coil I had was sitting too tall on the distributor causing the fan blades to hit it! I thought the generator/fan had slipped and, therefore, reset the generator. Still hits.

The middle coil is a Ford script coil; the one on the left is stamped “Standard” and both fit without issue. The too tall coil is not marked on top but has SME stamped on the underside.

Have never seen this issue reported or discussed here. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0762.jpg (25.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0763.jpg (27.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0765.jpg (28.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0766.jpg (34.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0767.jpg (35.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0768.jpg (56.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Too Tall Coil

Slightly longer fan belt??
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Kube

Is this for the car in your avatar? If so, I'd suggest you install the correct distributor along with the correct coil...that would be the easiest way.
Or, a longer belt as has been suggested.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I think there were two types in 1936. The early one was the dome top from 34 to 36. The later one was a flat top & had two screws If remember correctly. It seems they were different from the 37 to 41 set up too. A lot of them had the dome top and would have no trouble with clearance. A person just needs to know what they have.

If that car has a 1937 engine, the distributor may have followed it along.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-19-2018 at 05:56 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I think there were two types in 1936. The early one was the dome top from 34 to 36. The later one was a flat top & had two screws If remember correctly. It seems they were different from the 37 to 41 set up too. A lot of them had the dome top and would have no trouble with clearance. A person just needs to know what they have.

If that car has a 1937 engine, the distributor may have followed it along.
You are correct of course.

The coils shown belong to the 37 - 41 group. They are slightly taller than the 36 coil(s).
I do know from personally experience that a 37 - 41 dizzy and coil will fit on a 36. What I don't know, is of they will fit with a correct 36 belt.
I'd suggested going to the authentic dizzy and coil as I prefer to do things correctly.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Tinker

If they are 2 bolt then after 37 as I'm aware. Thought pre 37 motors were 3 bolt coils. Could be wrong and often am. Haven't looked at my coil for my 36 in a few yrs, (skip rebuilt it, gratuitous thank you ). It's a early domed, not a flattop, flattop could be a 2 bolt and a transition coil.

32 motors had a real tall coil that looked like a ridiculous conehead. Don't think that transferred over to 33's but maybe. Twice what you have pictured in height.

You're built coil may just need a longer belt, if you have a pocket to run it in.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-19-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
If they are 2 bolt then after 37 as I'm aware. Thought pre 37 motors were 3 bolt coils. Could be wrong and often am. Haven't looked at my coil for my 36 in a few yrs, (skip rebuilt it, gratuitous thank you ). It's a early domed, not a flattop, flattop could be a 2 bolt and a transition coil.

32 motors had a real tall coil that looked like a ridiculous conehead. Don't think that transferred over to 33's but maybe. Twice what you have pictured in height.
There was a short lived, late 36 distributor, that had a cylindrical bodied coil, with a flat top. This coil was mounted to the distributor with two screws, but these screws were on a different angle as compared to a two screw mount coil used from 37 to 41.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
Tinker

John I've only seen pictures, but that is what I understand the late 36 flat type looked like. Thank you for adding. Very interesting about the angle of the machine screws.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
Brian

A 36 fan will hit the 37 coil. The 37 fan, whilst a bigger dia than 36, has different shaped blades to clear the taller coil.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #10
deuce lover

No room for a 37 fan in a 36 if all is stock.37 Fan hub is about 2"
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Wouldn't having the current coil rebuilt be an easy solution?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
Brian

'No room for a 37 fan in a 36 if all is stock'

Exactly my point, so by running a 36 fan, you'll get contact!!
Old 09-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
rotorwrench

I'd go for the earlier dome type distributor if one is available anywhere. Find one with an good coil & have it rebuilt. It would look more at home in a 36 even with a 37 block with the water pump block off plates. The 37 & 38 21-stud engines were pretty adaptable. Definitely the best of the 21-stud motors in my opinion.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #14
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lucky13 View Post
I’ve been troubleshooting my rough running issue (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247907) and was isolating on the coil. I found that a rebuilt coil I had was sitting too tall on the distributor causing the fan blades to hit it! I thought the generator/fan had slipped and, therefore, reset the generator. Still hits.

The middle coil is a Ford script coil; the one on the left is stamped “Standard” and both fit without issue. The too tall coil is not marked on top but has SME stamped on the underside.

Have never seen this issue reported or discussed here. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Is the SME stamped or etched?? If etched it is most likely a coil skip
rebuilt for you or someone else. You may be able to swap it out with
him. G.M.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
6lucky13

First of all, I should have mentioned that the car/engine in question is a 36 Cabriolet with a 37 engine. (It was stated in my referenced post and I did not think to re-state it…my mistake.) It is all stock for 36 except the engine and block- off plates. Sorry for all the diversion regarding the correct distributor/coil and fan blade.

Rotorwrench is correct…the distributor and coil were in the car when it was purchased 20 years ago. And it has run this way ever since… except for a failed coil about 5 years ago. I believe this distributor/coil combination would be correct for the engine.

I don’t have much room for a larger fan belt as there is about 1″ clearance in the radiator dimple.

I will send the suspect coils to Skip for rebuild (one has been rebuilt previously). I am also looking for suitable replacements. So far I have only seen 1 of the taller coils.

The SME coil is stamped not etched on the underside.

I have 2 questions:
1. Am I the only owner of a 36 car with a 37 engine who has observed this issue?
2. If I would change to a shorter style coil, what can I use?

Thanks…
Old 09-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lucky13 View Post
First of all, I should have mentioned that the car/engine in question is a 36 Cabriolet with a 37 engine. (It was stated in my referenced post and I did not think to re-state it…my mistake.) It is all stock for 36 except the engine and block- off plates. Sorry for all the diversion regarding the correct distributor/coil and fan blade.

Rotorwrench is correct…the distributor and coil were in the car when it was purchased 20 years ago. And it has run this way ever since… except for a failed coil about 5 years ago. I believe this distributor/coil combination would be correct for the engine.

I don’t have much room for a larger fan belt as there is about 1″ clearance in the radiator dimple.

I will send the suspect coils to Skip for rebuild (one has been rebuilt previously). I am also looking for suitable replacements. So far I have only seen 1 of the taller coils.

The SME coil is stamped not etched on the underside.

I have 2 questions:
1. Am I the only owner of a 36 car with a 37 engine who has observed this issue?
2. If I would change to a shorter style coil, what can I use?

Thanks…
Kerry,
The shortest coil out there is the "flat top" 36 style. You'd need the respective distributor as well.
You might check with George Haney as he may very well have one completed and ready to ship.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #17
petehoovie

Kube said:

"Kerry,
The shortest coil out there is the "flat top" 36 style. You'd need the respective distributor as well.
You might check with George Haney as he may very well have one completed and ready to ship."

George "Ship" Haney > 941-637-6698 or 941-505-9085 > email [email protected]

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:23 AM   #18
deuce lover

After reading your post #15 ,what intake manifold do you have on the engine ? If its a '37 the generator mounts lower.If that is the case replacing it with a 35-36 with a higher gen mount could solve the problem.Here is a pic of a 37 intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37-39 intake 1.jpg (91.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #19
6lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
After reading your post #15 ,what intake manifold do you have on the engine ? If its a '37 the generator mounts lower.If that is the case replacing it with a 35-36 with a higher gen mount could solve the problem.Here is a pic of a 37 intake.
The intake is a 36 aluminum manifold and, as you are aware, the generator mount is higher than a 37 CI intake. At one time I thought of installing a 37 intake but realized that the fan would be a problem hitting the coil. So would need to replace the fan or distributor/coil. Decided to keep it as it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0776.jpg (62.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0775.jpg (28.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #20
deuce lover

You could put in a remote coil adapter .
Old 09-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

We are currently installing a rebuilt 37, 21 stud engine in a 35 fordor sedan. We will be using a 35 intake manifold, 35 generator and fan, 35 distributor with dome top coil, 35 CI heads, 35/36 water pumps, 35 motor mounts/water inlets, and block off plates that cover the holes in the block that the 37 water pumps would have used. This will all bolt in place in the engine compartment and look just like a 35 engine, except for the block off plates on the front of the block.
In your case, for proper fan clearance, you should use a 33 to early 36 distributor and coil to prevent the fan from hitting the coil as Kube mentioned previously in posts #3 & 5, and rotowrench mentioned in post #4.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote