Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
SLPreston53

Default ID Frame by Year

OK, I know this has been dealt with several times, but I can't find the info...I just bought a "running gear" and want to verify the frame as a 28/29. What are the differences between 28/29 and 30/31 frames..AGAIN (sorry!!)?
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
billwill

Smile Re: ID Frame by Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLPreston53 View Post
OK, I know this has been dealt with several times, but I can't find the info...I just bought a "running gear" and want to verify the frame as a 28/29. What are the differences between 28/29 and 30/31 frames..AGAIN (sorry!!)?
what are you sorry about.
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
CCWKen

Default Re: ID Frame by Year

Steve Plucker did an excellent study and write up on the Model A frames. Appearently, there were four versions with numerous changes--Way too many to list here. Check out Steve's site .

http://www.plucks329s.org/frame.htm
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
dlshady

You might have better luck posting up a few photos. Steve's research study is a fantastic piece of work, but if you're not already a somewhat familliar with Model A frames I'm afraid it might be a bit confusing to you. There are several tell-tale signs that should allow folks to tell the difference.

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
john charlton

This quick check works in England so hopefully works in USA too. 28/29 frames are drilled both sides for the steering column so work for LHD and RHD. The 30/31 frame is drilled on one side only, LHD or RHD but not both. Also of course the pads where the radiator "feet" sit are lower on 30/31 to suit the taller 30/31 rad.

John in breezy sunny warm England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
2manycars

The easiest way to check is to observe the emergency brake cross shaft, or if it is missing, it's mounting method. The 28-29 frame has the cross shaft with arms that reach under the frame, and it's mounting holes in the frame are 3 small holes; one for a grease fitting, and two for mounting bolts. The 30-31 frame has the cross shaft go right through the frame, with the arms mounted outside the frame. The holes in the frame for this type are a large hole with a taper, and two small holes for the bolts.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Ron in Quincy

The major difference between a 28-29 and 30-31 passenger car frame is the front cross member; the radiator mounting height is different. If not doing a show car you can use a 30-31 chassis and install a 28-29 body by shmming up the radiator mount. You cannot install a 30-31 body on a 28-29 frame without changing the front cross member to 30-31 style as everthing behind the radiator would have to be shimmed up, its looks auful with the body setting so high above the running board shields.
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote