Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
SteveB31

Default Re: Shipping cost

We ship via USPS FLat rate 10-30 boxes per day. The best part about it is many Model A parts are relativiely heavy, and the $4.95 cost is a bargain. The lady at the PO always comments that we get our moneys worth for the heavy weight these little packages. Almost always, our customers comment that they get them in 2 days, and they dleiver on Saturday. UPS charges an additional fee if you live in a rural area, and another additional fee if it is a residetial address- these fees alone are more then the $4.95 cost of a small USPS Priority mail box. Yes, their is no useful tracking, but we have NEVER had one not delivered. Obviuosly, the best thing to do is combine your needs by planning ahead on your project and get many more parts all at once, but when that is not going to happen, then the $4.95 and $10.50 USPS boxes are a good buy. Also, I believe that you should never have to pay handling fees- it only takes a couple minutes to box most items, and that is far less time then it takes to take care of a customer over the counter due to the BS factor.

Steve@ Berts Model A Center in Denver, CO
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #22
redmodelt

Ordered some Model T parts from Lang's on the east coast on Monday, I had them on my front porch Portland Oregon on Wednesday the same week via United States Post Office Priority mail. I ship all my packages that fit in Priority Flat rate if I can. FedEx is my other choice.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #23
ken ct
BANNED

I use flat rate boxes 90% of the time also.No handeling chg.also padded envolopes for unbreakable parts ,gaskets etc. for like $1.50 average.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 AM   #24
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
We ship . . . , and that is far less time then it takes to take care of a customer over the counter due to the BS factor.
Steve@ Berts Model A Center in Denver, CO
That 'factor' is what make it worth spending 3 hours driving and $25 in gas to pick things up in person! Heck, my postal carrier will take my outgoing pre-paid priority from me at my door, but I drive to the post office because the counter guy is an old car buff (two Studebakers) and we spend 20 minutes on the 'factor' while ten people with improperly wrapped stuff wait in line.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #25
FL&WVMIKE

The flat rates will be more, if you are shipping a light weight package, a short distance. If you are shipping a heavy weight package, across country, this is where you will save your money.
The clerk, at my post office, Holly Hill, Fl., one time told me that I was wasting money by sending a certain package by flat rate. He gave me a box, tape and had me re-wrap it, right there in the P.O. It saved me about $3.00. Since it was not heavy, it was cheaper by First Class Mail.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #26
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Tom, I don't know about your usps but, here the mail deliverer leaves a pink ticket in your box and you have to go to the post office to pick it up. Is it different there?

In my area (Southern California) delivery services such as FedEx, and UPS leave the packages on my doorstep, then run like the devil so they don't have to engage in a conversation and be slowed down. The postman who delivers the flat rate USPS packages also drops them on my doorstep, only he does not run.
Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote