Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
sunshine

Default Headlights blowing fuses

39 pickup The only thing that worked on this truck when I drug it home were the hd. lights , rotten wires and all. I have installed complete new wireharness ,switch @ steering column ,dimmer sw. pigtails @ sealed beams conversion , new 6v. sealed beams . Now fuse gets hot and blows after awhile ONLY when turning on HEADLIGHTS .NOT other lights such as parking / dash ,brake or add on signal lights . I have good ground @ sealed beams I checked the sw. @ steering for connections also dimmer sw. .tried old sealed beams ( maybe new ones were wrong voltage) same result.THANKS FOR ANY HELP. SUNSHINE
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Headlights blowing fuses

6V sealed beams?? How much current do they draw? What is the blown fuse size? I believe the original light bulb is a 2330 bulb, at about 5.5 A each and the fuse 20 A.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

And as always, the fuse is there to protect the wiring (that part seems to be working fine!). So the next question would be with the requirement for an increase in fuse amperage because of the increased current draw of the headlights is the wiring sized properly for the headlights as well? You can always put in a large enough fuse that it is hard to blow it, but is that protecting the wiring. Blowing a fuse is a minor problem, burning up a wire harness not so much. I would start by determining what is the current draw of the headlight and assure yourself the wiring is the correct size for the current load. And you will need to up size the fuse to match the wiring size (current carrying capability is dependent on both wire size and the length of the run).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
sunshine

Thank you Terry,oh and Jeery I installed a 30 amp fuse because that is what was in the truck also my book calls for a30 amp. If it blows a 30 a 20 sure wont work The harness is by Tyree for 6v system . It did the same thing with the old pig tales . I guess I need to get an amp probe . ( pig tales being sealed beam connectors)THANK YOU SUNSHINE
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
flatheadmurre

If it blows the fuse in both high and low beam (asuming size of fuse is right)
you have an issue with the footswitch or wiring from switch to dash.
I manage to pinch the wiring on my truck at the footswitch making it blow the fuse every time i used highbeam
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
TJ

check to see if those exposed terminals on the foot switch is touching metal to cause a short.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote