Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #21
johnsor

Default Re: Smart Signals -- Great product!

I have installed LOGO lights on three of my A's ($220. ea. kit). I like them as they mount discreetly between the bumper bars and do not detract from the looks of the "A". Each light has a number of LED's in them thus are very bright and last a very long time. Easy to install also.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons49 View Post
Ray, I'm glad that you are happy with them. Mine are to be delivered in the next week or two. I ordered them from John in the middle of November. Left a $25 deposit and the total cost is $360 with shipping. Very nice folks to deal with. Don't forget, if some day you wish to sell your car, you can remove them and either place them on another vehicle OR, sell them to another hobbyist. Ron
Great Ron. It would be good to hear what you think of them. Please post your experience.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

very interesting as you can move them from car to car.. they do seem a bit bulky BUT if doing some cross country driving or Highway tours I can see the safety in them. They are high priced though..
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
RobertB

Wonder if you could cut the back out of a repro Model A tail light and insert these...maybe an antique appearing small fog light fro the front?

The A I've purchased (hasn't been delivered yet) apparently has two tail light and license plate brackets installed, with a 31 plate on one side and a new plate on the other.

For side view, you could install a "jewel" on the side of the repro lights.

Just thinking out loud, or actually with my fingers?

Old 01-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ray,

Again, appreciate your taking your valuable time to share such life safety information with other Model A owners who may want to consider them.

No matter the cost nor the looks ........ common sense guys & gals can see these highly visible turn signals used on a rainy or foggy night are still much cheaper than buying a 6 foot long fancy box with an accompanying land plot & a few flowers hanging on an easel.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #26
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Smart Signals -- Great product!

They are nice, but I still like the "antique" or at least "vintage" look of the old arrow signal lights. I collected a bunch years ago and plan on using them on my '31 roadster and maybe my '29 Chevy. My '29 roadster has the cowl lights/tail lights turn signal set-up. Plus, I like using arm signals.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #27
Brother Hesekiel

Can't think of anything uglier to put on a classic car than those clunky lights. If I wanted to install turn signals on my Model A, I would either install them in the cowl lamps, or inside the head lamps, hidden, like street rods have 'em.

To some people esthetics don't matter much, to me they are very important.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
Can't think of anything uglier to put on a classic car than those clunky lights. If I wanted to install turn signals on my Model A, I would either install them in the cowl lamps, or inside the head lamps, hidden, like street rods have 'em.

To some people esthetics don't matter much, to me they are very important.
Safety trumps esthetics when I'm on the road with my grandchildren. And to some people good manners don't matter much, but to me they are important.

Last edited by 700rpm; 01-18-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #29
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopo View Post
they look WAY odd on an A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
Any turn signal system mounted on a Model A is not going to look "antique". The system that would utilize existing tail and cowl lights would retain the "look" of the car, but they can be difficult to see; especially from the side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
Wonder if you could cut the back out of a repro Model A tail light and insert these...maybe an antique appearing small fog light fro the front?

The A I've purchased (hasn't been delivered yet) apparently has two tail light and license plate brackets installed, with a 31 plate on one side and a new plate on the other.

For side view, you could install a "jewel" on the side of the repro lights.
I think the thing with the Wireless setup, is that if you usually drive locally and have no issues, then want to travel further away and worry about the safety, and you want to maintain the original look most of the time, these will be what you want.

We felt unsafe ALL the time in ours, so I'd never consider driving without them. Before we fitted the additional lights, people really had no clue what we were doing or where we were going. Turn signals and a decent brake light are essential for allowing faster traffic past around here - there are so few places for traffic to pass, you really need to show you are letting them past, and will do your best to let them past safely.

Also, brake lights flashing as turns were never very common here, so it confuses people too - nearly all vehicles here had orange turns - we had very few american cars that used the flashing brake light system.

We fitted 2x repro lights and brackets: Rear Amber turns (with orange bulbs too); standard tails; inners are V8 rears- both brake and tails light as Brakes plus a hi-lighter brake in the back window.

V8 cowl lights as front turns, with orange bulbs.

Very visible from both ends, and the difference in the reactions from other drivers was immediatly noticable - they actually seemed to have some idea what we planed to do

The only thing hard to reverse is the holes for the left side bracket, but it's not impossible - besides, as long as we own it, it'll be driven often, so will need the lights.

Hadn't thought about the "Jewel" before! Though the rear lights are only obscured as you approach an angle fairly perpendicular to the car (The angle is no worse than my Wife "modern" or my VW van, the front are actually a little better, due to the domed lens, and they are under the overhang of the front fender.

Plus if a brake or tail burns out, there are spares now
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #30
Pat Martone

I am very happy with the Logolites product (logolites.com) that I installed about 2 years ago (cost was about $200 from Snyder's). I really like the emergency 4-way flasher feature, and that they are wired completely independent of the car's existing electrical system, making this modification to my car easily reversible. I recently sent my 4 Logolites LED units sent back to the manufacturer for an "update", which included new LEDs that improved the off-axis visibility considerably. They are not any brighter "head-on", but are much brighter from the sides, and that was important to me. (However, I cannot recall the nominal cost for updating the LED units.)
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #31
davehc

I also decided I wanted turn signals on my car , mostly for being safer , and the fact that most of todays generation thinks you are giving them a " High Five " when you use hand signals around here , because they don't know what they are . So with my very limited budget I looked at e-bay . I got a set of lights that will fit between the bars ,[ four lights ], a flasher , and a mini toggle switch , all for $11 including shipping . I will leave my original wiring 6 volt , and use a lawn mower battery , 12 volt , and a bit of wiring, I already have . It's already tested and ready to put in , when it warms up here again .
At least I'll have the safety of the signals ,staying well within my budget , and the fun , to me , project of hooking it all up . Not a thing against the Smart Signals , or any other system anyone uses , I am just doing what works for me and my budget .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #32
Brother Hesekiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Safety trumps esthetics when I'm on the road with my grandchildren.
A personal decision, no doubt. My point was, and still is, that additional safety and esthetics don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are countries that require even antique cars to have turn signals front and rear, and the folks who live there have often come up with solutions that don't look out of place.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Ray,
Thanks for sharing your experience
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #34
oliverguy

I think they would be really handy for a brass era car or an all orginal car like my model T roadster. I like the idea of being able to move them around to different cars. When you get to a show you can just take them off.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #35
Growley bear

This sounds and looks like a great product. Great for driving and quickly and easily removed if showing the car or having it judged. Also sounds like a quality product.
Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #36
A Really Nice A

I agree with you Ray 100%...
I've got a set and I'm very happy. They have extended my hours of use during the good weather into the evenings! I now can drive the car at night without thinking about if someone on the road can see me. With them, you would have to be blind not to see me.

As for how they look, I don't know many of us that really care how they look if they are going to help to prevent an accident. They are compact and are of high intensity light.

I've driven on the highway through Boston traffic and everyone was giving me "thumbs up". The trip I took was from Providence, RI to Stowe, VT about a 6 1/2 hour trip. Left during the late afternoon but stopped for dinner and got home in the dark. I think more than once I could have been "road pizza" without them. I'm not suggesting this as your first experience but on Route 95 here in New England there are A LOT of cars, none of which ever do the speed limit. Making sure they see me as far back as possible was and is worth the price.

With the new break light coming out, I'm going to get the upgrade ASAP as soon as its available.

I take the lights off when the car is being judged. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the safety concern with the pacemaker is due to the very strong magnets in each unit.
A Really Nice A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #37
700rpm

FollowUp
I have had my Smart Signals now for seven years. They were and are very good. But the company is out of business and my rechargeable batteries are dying and need replacement. They are low voltage long life high output, and are about $15/2. But the catch is they are lithium, and the wires need to be soldered on, which is a specialty service because the heat from the soldering runs the risk of the batteries exploding. So this is hardly a DIY project. I’m stymied as to how to proceed. I really like these lights. But I may have to go to Logo Lites.

Last edited by 700rpm; 05-16-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #38
katy

What voltage are they? Maybe a different battery or external?
Old 05-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #39
700rpm

3.7 v 1600 milliamps, must hold charge for 24 hours. No way to accommodate external batteries

Old 05-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #40
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Have you tried Batteries Plus Bulbs? There are two stores listed in Portland. They have all types of batteries and they replace batteries for cellphones and other electronics. Maybe they can provide a substitute or do your repairs. I got a 6 volt battery for my Roadster at the store in Rancho Cucamonga.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote