Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Pigpen

Default DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

My first post here on the Ford Barn, so I apologize if it's a little long winded...

*my background* I have older Fords cars/trucks from 60's-90's. I'd classify them as good summertime drivers, decent, but nothing show quality. I wanted to get something I would consider nice to everyone that would see it... something that the wife and I could take our parents/or friends out in, for a cruise or out to dinner for the night. Mustang GT's or old Ford trucks weren't cutting it, so I was on the look out for something (Ford of course) full size, classic and not modified, but plain old factory stock. I was looking for a nice 60's-70's Lincoln Continental, or a full size Ford from early 70's and older. I came across a 1948 Ford Super Deluxe 8, 2-door sedan that was exactly what I was looking for. Went and inspected it, and was very happy with what I seen (no rust anywhere, no leaks and good paint, tires, brakes) We negotiated down to my price range, and I bought it, and took it home. It runs great (59ab flathead) and it drives just as good as it look. Only there is a few hang ups to work out...

When you would start it, it starts right up and runs great, but after it warms up (operating temperature * 10 minutes) if you shut it off, it will no longer start/run for about an hour. It just turns over, and won't fire. Let it sit for an hour, and it fires right up and again runs great. It was like that all summer. Now this fall, I was going to pull it out of the barn so I could jockey around cars for winter storage, and it would not start at all. It turns over fine, but just would not attempt to run what so ever.

Last edited by Pigpen; 02-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

Have the coil or condenser been replaced recently?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
Have the coil or condenser been replaced recently?
I know the previous owner just put a new coil on it, right before I bought it. As for a condenser, that I don't know.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
50fordcoupeman

My avatar although not stock had the same problem when I got it. Turned out the coil was bad.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
I know the previous owner just put a new coil on it, right before I bought it. As for a condenser, that I don't know.
I have had new coils that were no good. I went thru 4 NAPA coils a couple of years ago very frustrating!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
petehoovie

First, replace the condenser to see if that resolves your starting problem. If that doesn't work, replace the coil with a known working coil. If that doesn't work, at least you'll have a spare coil and condenser that can be used in the future, If there is a EFV8 Club Regional Group near you, join it....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
flatford8

Is it getting fuel? Crank it over a couple times, then look in the carb and move the throttle and see if there’s fuel squirting in. Check for spark at the plugs. Report back with whatever one you don’t have......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
When you would start it, it starts right up and runs great, but after it warms up (operating temperature * 10 minutes) if you shut it off, it will no longer start/run for about an hour. It just turns over, and won't fire. Let it sit for an hour, and it fires right up and again runs great. It was like that all summer. Now this fall, I was going to pull it out of the barn so I could jockey around cars for winter storage, and it would not start at all. It turns over fine, but just would not attempt to run what so ever.
That sounds like typical coil or condenser issue. Is the car still 6v? If so is the battery positive post connected to ground and the negative post connected to the starter solenoid (that is the correct setup)? Is the coil (+) terminal connected to the distributor post to the condenser and the (-) terminal connected to the ignition switch? Are you sure it is the correct coil for a 6v Ford (~1.5 ohms)?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Is it getting fuel? Crank it over a couple times, then look in the carb and move the throttle and see if there’s fuel squirting in. Check for spark at the plugs. Report back with whatever one you don’t have......Mark
During some of the "hot no start" condition, i did dump some fuel down the carb, and another time tried a squirt or two of Ether, and it didn't make a difference. So I'd assume it's and electrical/ignition problem when warmed up?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That sounds like typical coil or condenser issue. Is the car still 6v? If so is the battery positive post connected to ground and the negative post connected to the starter solenoid (that is the correct setup)? Is the coil (+) terminal connected to the distributor post to the condenser and the (-) terminal connected to the ignition switch? Are you sure it is the correct coil for a 6v Ford (~1.5 ohms)?
Brand new 6- volt battery, and car is positive/ground
Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
Mike in AZ

Welcome to the ‘Barn. And the fun with flatheads. Replace things one at a time following advice give here and hopefully you’ll be up and running, havin fun again. Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #12
flatford8

I think you’re on the right track with it being an electrical issue.....have you checked all the suggestions in post #8 ?........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
37 Cab

Is the cranking speed slow when warm? I went through that, and it was a resistance issue. If it is cranking slow you may not be getting sufficient voltage to the coil while cranking. Mine was an issue with the cable to the starter but grounding issues are more common. My point is, if it is cranking slow you are using too much voltage cranking to supply enough voltage to power the coil.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
slowforty

Another please tell us your location request.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #15
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I think you’re on the right track with it being an electrical issue.....have you checked all the suggestions in post #8 ?........Mark
I have not, as its 15° out in the barn currently. I want to get a game plan going, for once the weather breaks
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #16
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Another please tell us your location request.
Holland Michigan, three miles from the lake shore.

(Ill update my profile)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #17
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
Is the cranking speed slow when warm? I went through that, and it was a resistance issue. If it is cranking slow you may not be getting sufficient voltage to the coil while cranking. Mine was an issue with the cable to the starter but grounding issues are more common. My point is, if it is cranking slow you are using too much voltage cranking to supply enough voltage to power the coil.
To me it turns over at the same rate if it is cold or warm. I did removed the starter and cleaned where it mounts, cleaned the starter surface mounts and made sure all the battery cables were nice and shiny on all ends, along with where they mount, to make sure everything was/is getting a good connection for voltage resistance.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #18
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Welcome to the ‘Barn. And the fun with flatheads. Replace things one at a time following advice give here and hopefully you’ll be up and running, havin fun again. Mike
Thank you for the welcome, and the advice from all others so far, it is much appreciated
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #19
flatford8

It’s cold out in my barn too!!!!......so I stay in the house on this “Barn”.......you’ll love it this spring when your driving it!!!....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #20
TJ

Are you sure you have the right size battery cables? 6 volt uses the larger cables and many times they are replaced by the smaller 12 volt cables. Smaller cables = resistance.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote