Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
skidmarks

Default Oh boy...another ugly ducking.....37 ford survivor

Well it didn't survive in its stock form. But it did survive the1950's dirt track. A real genuine 50s dirt track 1937 ford coupe. Still has a 59 A-B . Had to round up a couple tires and break the brakes loose. 3 speed and a banjo rear with a model A ford rear spring and crossmember.

Another "estate" vehical. Hope to get the motor running and just leave it as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161212_092938.jpg (72.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 20161212_093007.jpg (74.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20161212_093001.jpg (74.2 KB, 173 views)
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
mercman from oz

Default Re: Oh boy...another ugly ducking.....37 ford survivor

This old 1937 Ford Touring Sedan still fires up and runs. These days, the only outing it gets is in Parades. As you can see, it is pretty agricultural. As you can see, it still wears the Body Badge that was applied back in 1937.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1092.jpg (99.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1094.jpg (72.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1096.jpg (96.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1098.jpg (96.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1099.jpg (103.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1102.jpg (107.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1106.jpg (74.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1107.jpg (80.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1101.jpg (68.8 KB, 84 views)
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

I love it, I run a 36 coupe back in 55. I wish I was in those years again. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
This old 1937 Ford Touring Sedan still fires up and runs. These days, the only outing it gets is in Parades. As you can see, it is pretty agricultural. As you can see, it still wears the Body Badge that was applied back in 1937.
Man that is cool. Roll bars on the outside. Like the dual belt truck pumps.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, skidmarks, great find, thanks for sharing.

MercMan, great shots! There musta been a rough crowd at that racetrack! I can see the engineer/driver/builder just being fed-up with the rough treatment his last car took!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
skidmarks

Just a little side note. The number 2 car was used in the movie Greased Lightning with Richard Pryor in 1976 prior to the movie it was raced in lower Delaware starting its racing days in the early 1950's. Basically has been sitting in the same place since the movie was filmed
Old 12-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
TonyM

My 1937 Ford De Luxe Fordor is a survivor car.

It was in storage for 50 years.

When I got it on the road in 2013, the car had not been driven on a street since John F. Kennedy was the president.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford.jpg (102.0 KB, 41 views)
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
PeteVS

Love the '37s!
Old 12-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
37 Coupe

When I was a kid before I could drive I knew what most old Fords were by building AMT model kits.The '37 Ford coupe was never popular enough back in those days to have a model kit produced like the '32.'36 and the '40. I knew the '37 coupe because a neighbor kid 3 or 4 years older than me drove one to high school. His coupe was at this time 23-24 years old but pretty beatmnechanically he was always having ignition problems ,don't remember if it was the sixty or 85 hp.One issue he had was the windshield and the windshield frame was really detiorated. The local Ford dealer took in a really clean gray '37 coupe and it was on there back lot back row,towe bad engine. He heard about it and couldn't believe what a nice car it was but they would not sell it to him said it was spoken for. The service manager had a deal with a local friend / stock car racer to pull these cars and not sell them to anyone but his friend. Guy had an engine that he would put in his latest and run as long as the current Ford body would last.Nothing unusual from anywhere else in the country,I imagine. The neighbor kid couldn't even get to the front widow frame until it was sledged hammered out. Years later I became a co-worker and old car friend to the stock car driver and he lamented over the early Fords he wrecked and especially that gray coupe which was the nicest.He thought he never paid much more than $45 a car but that could have been the "finders fee" to the service manager. While at our local car show a few years back someone asked me if my '37 was the neighborhood kids coupe now restored. After telling him no he said well it is still in town sitting since 1961.Hard to believe it survived and the mint one met its fate in one weekend.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Great find and save, good on you.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
When I was a kid before I could drive I knew what most old Fords were by building AMT model kits.The '37 Ford coupe was never popular enough back in those days to have a model kit produced like the '32.'36 and the '40. I knew the '37 coupe because a neighbor kid 3 or 4 years older than me drove one to high school. His coupe was at this time 23-24 years old but pretty beatmnechanically he was always having ignition problems ,don't remember if it was the sixty or 85 hp.One issue he had was the windshield and the windshield frame was really detiorated. The local Ford dealer took in a really clean gray '37 coupe and it was on there back lot back row,towe bad engine. He heard about it and couldn't believe what a nice car it was but they would not sell it to him said it was spoken for. The service manager had a deal with a local friend / stock car racer to pull these cars and not sell them to anyone but his friend. Guy had an engine that he would put in his latest and run as long as the current Ford body would last.Nothing unusual from anywhere else in the country,I imagine. The neighbor kid couldn't even get to the front widow frame until it was sledged hammered out. Years later I became a co-worker and old car friend to the stock car driver and he lamented over the early Fords he wrecked and especially that gray coupe which was the nicest.He thought he never paid much more than $45 a car but that could have been the "finders fee" to the service manager. While at our local car show a few years back someone asked me if my '37 was the neighborhood kids coupe now restored. After telling him no he said well it is still in town sitting since 1961.Hard to believe it survived and the mint one met its fate in one weekend.
That happened all over the USA were ever there was a track. The green on in my avatar was also a race car at one point. I put it back together as a driver. However i dont think it made it to the track because very little had gotten cut.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #12
mhsprecher

"When I was a kid before I could drive I knew what most old Fords were by building AMT model kits.The '37 Ford coupe was never popular enough back in those days to have a model kit produced like the '32.'36 and the '40."

True dat for me, too. I had them all, including the Model T and the Model A's. I'd love to know the inspiration for those model kits and the ones they chose. Maybe the detailing was not all that great (I recall you could build a 39 or 40 with that kit), but those kits were influences on many of us, I am sure.

I never liked the 37s much back then, but I do like them now. Skidmarks, I like your car. I grew up just across the state line from you in MD.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote