Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
George/Maine

Default 1954 ford car 223 6 no oil to rockers.

I just bought a 54Ford car with a 223 6 and there is no oil to rockers.
This looks to be a rebuilt engine, every thing is clean.
My guess the cam bearing are in wrong, thinking of drilling into bearing, but what if the bottom is also not lined up. Any info.
George
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
bobH

Default Re: 1954 ford car 223 6 no oil to rockers.

George, my Motor manual indicates there is a "oil feed line, from the block". Is this correct? It's been over 50 years since I've worked on one of these, and I certainly do not remember. If there is, indeed, an "oil feed line", I would suggest disconnecting it, and blowing hundred psi shop air, both ways, to see if you can learn anything, or, perhaps blow out an obstruction. This would sometimes work, back in the day.
If it were an obstruction, such as sludge at the source, we would sometimes blow in Gumout carb & choke cleaner into the feed line, and let it sit awhile, like overnite. Then blow again with shop air.
If this sounds unrelated, or like nonsense... push 'delete'.
Just trying to offer an idea...
(By-the-way, if there is an 'oil feed line', and you find it impossible to clear it, or make it 'feed', then the solution, back in the day, was to install a new, non-stock feed line, picking up oil at the gauge-sender location, and rigging it into the rocker feed. We would almost never pull an engine apart to fix this problem.) JMO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
George/Maine

What someone did was put a new oil line to end of rocker arm shaft. They new there was a problem. Took off valve cover side and top has 2 feed lines to shaft from lifter area. I looked a pic on Macs bearing shows the holes for oil, could have been put in wrong. This car looks original showing 20k miles. I hate to take it apart for nothing.
I have a 302V8 maybe time for new engine.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
41ford1

Pull the rocker and cam covers and make sure the oiler tubes are installed correctly. On the three early OHV ford sixes I've worked on these tubes were only locked down at the rocker shaft end. There is an "O" ring type gasket where the tube is plugged in at the cam bearing. The tube may need reforming to make proper seating at the cam bearing. You can remove the tubes to clean them out. While the tubes are out pull the distributor and spin the oil pump with a drill. You will easily see if there is oil where the oil tubes insert in to the cam bearing bosses. If that looks good reinstall the tubes and run the pump again. You should see oil at the rockers. Good luck with this problem. The other fix like BobH suggests is an external oil line.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
What someone did was put a new oil line to end of rocker arm shaft. They new there was a problem. Took off valve cover side and top has 2 feed lines to shaft from lifter area. I looked a pic on Macs bearing shows the holes for oil, could have been put in wrong. This car looks original showing 20k miles. I hate to take it apart for nothing.
I have a 302V8 maybe time for new engine.
I think one of those 2 lines is feed and the other is a return line. Been a long time since I built one of those. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
George/Maine

I was thinking the same thing the rear line had a seal around the line and front must be return. I get no oil out of rear hole. I think below the cam bearing is not aligned.
They had a 1/8 like gauge line drilled in the end of the shaft and a hole in cover going down the oil sender feed. Every thing is clean even the shaft and holes. If the back is feed line maybe put bigger line up top and see if that works.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
41ford1

Both the lines are supply. The return to the pan is just drains though the head into the block. If you can power the oil pump with a drill you should see oil flow at the rocker shaft. All the rocker pivots need to be wet.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #8
Fe26

They made Fords after '53? Yes siree...
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
George/Maine

The shaft is clean and is feeds from lower tubes out of engine.
I removed the spark plugs and see no oil out of holes where exit out of block.
I cranked it over for a while. This engine is spot less. If its the bearing in wrong can they be replaced with out removeing the crank.Looks like it has to be done up side down.I see they are different from y block no oil out of head. Bought another Junker.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
41ford1

"Bought another Junker." I don't think so.

When you crank it are you getting oil pressure? The oil pump is driven by the distributor on these. 1/4" hex shaft could be broken. Just a thought here. If you have oil pressure look for an external oiling kit. These show up on Ebay every so often.
You can replace the cam bearings with out removing the crank. The cam will need removal. You will need clear access to the front of the engine. The easiest way to get this is to remove the front clip. Then crank pulley, timing cover and timing gears & chain. The tappets will require something to hold them way from the cam so it can be pulled.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
George/Maine

I do remember the kits for y block did,nt know about the 6 cylinders.
I did some testing today rear oil hole filled to top and would,nt drain,
but the front one looks to drain ok.
That looks to me the return line.
Someone before me put a 1/8 line to rocker shaft,think that's to small.
The line in car must be maybe 3/16ID.
Was thinking of just making the line bigger and the return if true will be ok.
The line would exit top of valve cover then line to sender hole.
Realy nice car maybe orginal 20K miles nice paint good chrome and overdrive to boot.
Waiting for friend to bring over old book to find more info about the oil system.
coffee time.