Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
vern hodgson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: langley, wa.
Posts: 479
Default Steering column bracket

How was the steering column bracket installed? Looks as though it was soldered and riveted to the tank! So the only holes would be the four rivet holes?
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 8,892
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
How was the steering column bracket installed? Looks as though it was soldered and riveted to the tank! So the only holes would be the four rivet holes?


That is correct. The solder was used to seal the plate in case of weeping. The issue I find is most of the ones that are weeping have cracks radiating out from the rivet holes where the metal is fatigued. The correct way to repair it is to weld the cracks and the holes solid and re-drill. That way the steering column is rigid again. Lots of vibrations are transferred thru the column.
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,371
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
That is correct. The solder was used to seal the plate in case of weeping. The issue I find is most of the ones that are weeping have cracks radiating out from the rivet holes where the metal is fatigued. The correct way to repair it is to weld the cracks and the holes solid and re-drill. That way the steering column is rigid again. Lots of vibrations are transferred thru the column.
Wouldn't welding burn off the Terne plating inside the tank and leave it vulnerable to rust? What then?
__________________
Life's journey is best undertaken slowly.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-10-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
WHN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Old Lyme Connecticut
Posts: 1,007
Default Re: Steering column bracket

I assume your talking about the 28/29 cars.

I would remove the tank and use a good quality slosh sealer. With the 29 we have had now for 40 years we sloshed it three times before putting it back in car. No problems for 30 years. Keeping our fingers crossed.

If you follow the directions, it should work well. Follow instructions! Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
aermotor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 722
Default Re: Steering column bracket

However you fix the tank get rid of the column to tank bracket. Use the later model one that attaches to the dash rail. Not only does the tank to bracket flex causing the tank to crack it puts stress on the steering box to frame attachment bolts and will cause the frame to wallow out at the mount bolts. Use a little creative engineering if the later model bolt holes don't match the existing dash holes.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,371
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I assume your talking about the 28/29 cars.

I would remove the tank and use a good quality slosh sealer. With the 29 we have had now for 40 years we sloshed it three times before putting it back in car. No problems for 30 years. Keeping our fingers crossed.

If you follow the directions, it should work well. Follow instructions! Enjoy.
I've had good success by simply using a later style bracket (that mounts to the dash) to take the load off the bracket on the tank and some of that "slosh sealer". I've never welded or resoldered one not had one leak again.
BTW, RHD support brackets are not available from the vendors. I belive they were used in 1931. As far as I know, no Model As came to this country in 1931.
__________________
Life's journey is best undertaken slowly.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
monto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NH
Posts: 169
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Mine is mounted to the dash -- no problems..
__________________
'30 Coupe
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
Badpuppy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Guthrie, OK
Posts: 443
Default Re: Steering column bracket

The dash mounting plate fits only mid-30 and later cars. Earlier tank yokes were 3/8" longer, placing the steering wheel against your pudgy thighs. This is somewhere on Steve Plucker's site, but I can't find it now -

http://www.plucks329s.org/index.htm
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
katy
Senior Member
 
katy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,015
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Tern
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terne
__________________
Don't go away mad, just go away.
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #10
Apperloo
Junior Member
 
Apperloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mission, BC
Posts: 21
Default Re: Steering column bracket

It looks like the PO had some issues with gas weeping thru this mount area.
As a newbie I was not looking for these kind of issues when I purchased the A.
It does not leak now, at least not with a partial full tank, but it will be very likely I will be tugging on the wheel at times while cramming myself behind it.
Does anyone have a link or pic to the 31 mount installed, or even the correct parts I need to get this possible issue dealt with? A quick search shows the main part as being out of stock or discontinued on macs.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank steering mount.jpg (22.9 KB, 99 views)
__________________
I love a girl and "Ruby" is her name, ChaCha
Apperloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #11
Tudortomnz
Senior Member
 
Tudortomnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canterbury, New Zealand
Posts: 1,152
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I've had good success by simply using a later style bracket (that mounts to the dash) to take the load off the bracket on the tank and some of that "slosh sealer". I've never welded or resoldered one not had one leak again.
BTW, RHD support brackets are not available from the vendors. I belive they were used in 1931. As far as I know, no Model As came to this country in 1931.
Ford Aust. did produce & sell Model A's in 1931 & 1932, it is just that they were 1930 models. They would have had enough inventory due to low sales that there was no need to use the '31 parts, although I believe some '31 engine numbers are recorded.
Canada did have a RHD '31 column support, it was available here in NZ. My neighbour who had a late '30 still has a spare one but not cheap [$100 NZ].
Cheers. -Tom
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:07 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida
Senior Member
 
Mike V. Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 13,967
Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Wouldn't welding burn off the Terne plating inside the tank and leave it vulnerable to rust? What then?
How much original finish does one think is left before the repair?
__________________
What's right about America is that although we have a mess of problems, we have great capacity - intellect and resources - to do some thing about them. - Henry Ford II
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:36 AM   #13
Steve Plucker
Senior Member
 
Steve Plucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Walla Walla, Washington USA
Posts: 5,427
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Here is some information on the brackets:

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/gastan...31gas_tank.pdf

Pluck

__________________
www.plucks329s.org

Walla Walla (WA) Sweet A's since 1993

MARC/MAFCA member since 1978

Ford Model AA Truck Club since 1998

(LIONEL/MTH Toy Train Collector, Orange Crush Soda Collector, Steel Beer Can Collector, Old Gas Pump Collector)
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #14
Apperloo
Junior Member
 
Apperloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mission, BC
Posts: 21
Default Re: Steering column bracket

This is helping to get my head wrapped around it, but not really answering my question.
Is this 31
bracket an easy swap?
Does the older one attached to the tank get zipped off or left for strength?
Or should I just leave the original bracket as is for the purpose of keeping the truck original?
Thanks for the input.
L
__________________
I love a girl and "Ruby" is her name, ChaCha
Apperloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #15
john in illinois
Senior Member
 
john in illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,848
Default Re: Steering column bracket

I left the original bracket with out the rubber support and used the 31 from the dash.the lower support shoud not touch the column. Loosen steering box to align.

For 28-29 a 1/4 “ spacer is needed. There is a diagram on this somewhere,maybe someone has it.

John
__________________
Welcome each day
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:00 PM   #16
Railcarmover
Senior Member
 
Railcarmover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,154
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Even back in the late 20's and early 30's lawyers controlled the corporate narrative,Ford had numerous issues in court regarding the cowl tank.from the tank screen to the steering column bracket the engineering was unsettled,forced by exposure to claim.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Apperloo
Junior Member
 
Apperloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mission, BC
Posts: 21
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
I left the original bracket with out the rubber support and used the 31 from the dash.the lower support shoud not touch the column. Loosen steering box to align.

For 28-29 a 1/4 “ spacer is needed. There is a diagram on this somewhere,maybe someone has it.

John
I like the idea of leaving the old bracket for originality, as long as it does not look like a leftover.
Where does the new one attach to the dash?
__________________
I love a girl and "Ruby" is her name, ChaCha
Apperloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
Tudortomnz
Senior Member
 
Tudortomnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canterbury, New Zealand
Posts: 1,152
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Even back in the late 20's and early 30's lawyers controlled the corporate narrative,Ford had numerous issues in court regarding the cowl tank.from the tank screen to the steering column bracket the engineering was unsettled,forced by exposure to claim.
Can you provide me with specific references about any íssues in court' in this period. Most cars in this era had rear mounted tanks, just as precarious a position regarding safety as a cowl tank. Ford liked the cowl tank as it did not require a fuel pump which they would have had to pay for or the right to use the design. But it did hamper body design & by 1932 even Ford gave up on it & relegated the tank to the rear with a fuel pump.
The cowl tank was not a flaw in the design of the Model A & in fact added to the simplicity of design & long life of the car. People had been sitting on the tank in open Model T's & up to the mid '20's, motorists routinely travelled with boxes of spare fuel tied to the running boards & fenders when on long trips. Cheers.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #19
john in illinois
Senior Member
 
john in illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,848
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apperloo View Post
I like the idea of leaving the old bracket for originality, as long as it does not look like a leftover.
Where does the new one attach to the dash?
There is a rail under the dash with bolts holding parts together.
You use 2 of these bolts to hold the new column drop.

John
__________________
Welcome each day
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #20
father-son
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 15
Default Re: Steering column bracket

Just did this for a 29 Tudor. We found that an 8" long adapter gave use a little more room to drill the holes. It looks like the column support bracket is on national back order. We got ours from Steve at Berts Model A in Denver. Good luck!

Last edited by father-son; 09-01-2019 at 08:43 PM.
father-son is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.