Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #21
leo

Default Re: Long distance buying

Ok, so you want to buy a vehicle far away and you decide to have it appraised by someone local to it. The problem is the person you select to do the appraisal may know less about the vehicle than you do! Sure any appraiser can judge a cars interior and exterior condition but do they really know the particulars of that vehicle? I would like it if appraisers would list their "make" and "period" familiarity so a consumer could make an educated choice.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #22
HalcyonDays

I did end up buying the car. It is on its way to Maine from Northern Calif. It is a true barn find late 1931 A400. It is in fairly rough condition however there is only surface rust on original paint. Fenders were rough also, but PO had purchased four replacement fender in excellent condition. It seems quite complete with all four shocks, sidebowl carb. all interior garnishings, complete top irons with rear window, ash trays, even original key. Top and interior fabric are non usable. I most likely over paid, but the level of originality got me excited. Will post photos when it arrives.
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Paying a little too much is better than letting the bank use your money and not paying you any interest. A little extra up front is nothing once the cost of restoring a car is figured in, and the enjoyment the car gives is more than money in the bank.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:19 AM   #24
Bill's Auto Works

Congratulations on your purchase Sir!

It sounds like a really cool project. Looking forward to the pictures.

God Bless
Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; 11-28-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #25
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Paying a little too much is better than letting the bank use your money and not paying you any interest. A little extra up front is nothing once the cost of restoring a car is figured in, and the enjoyment the car gives is more than money in the bank.
Well written.

No matter what you purchase, someone will tell you that you paid to much.

Model A’s are to be enjoyed. So enjoy your new car.

How about some pictures?
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #26
ronn

congrats- want to see them pictures!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #27
CarlG

I bought my pickup on eBay, only having seen pictures. My dealings with the seller were somewhat less than perfect, but after 8 years now, I'm still pleased with my purchase. Not sure if a physical inspection would have changed my mind a bit. I do consider myself very fortunate, especially reading some of the horror stories since then.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #28
Corley

Bought Elvira from online pictures. Seller was totally honest, and the car was better than I expected. There are some good guys out there, and you can usually detect it when talking to them on the phone and emails. Just remember one thing: Most cars look better in photos than in real life. I got lucky I guess, because Elvira looked even better in person than in the photos. For the $$, she was a bargain.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #29
Keith True

I personally think that for the car you bought all the normal rules about used old cars are out the window.It's not a run of the mill roadster,coupe,or tudor,it is a rare car.You are going to have to pay a lot of money for a rough one.It's not like there is another rough one around the corner for sale,if you ponied up the money to buy it then that means someone else would too.There's not much room to chisel on a seller for a rare car.He can always find another buyer easier than you will find another one of those cars.You seem to know it needs a complete restoration,but it has it's rare parts,so whatever price you paid must have been OK with you,and you are the only one that has to be happy with it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #30
Jw

Road trip!
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #31
midgetracer

Most people are honest, especially old car folks, but when it comes to a restoration, the term restored has many meanings to different people. Some people honestly think the car they cobbled together is restored and they are very proud of it. Some people expect a restoration to be a fine point job. Just because someone tells you how great the car is does not mean that they are on the same value system that you expect. When I am looking to buy a car, I feel that a trip to look at it is part of the cost. I have seen few scammers in the old car business, only different opinions on what a restoration requires.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:47 AM   #32
GerryAllen

When I finally decided to buy a Model A, I emailed all the Model A clubs in out state and asked the presidents to forward it along to their members.
I described the model I wanted, condition of body and mechanical condition. I received four replies from various club members and went to look at the one I bought. I was very fortunate as the owner represented it correctly and the car was exactly what I wanted.
I would recommend keeping your powder dry until you can personally look at the car or a member from your club can have a look at it. I realize I was lucky and thank my lucky stars that the purchase went well. The only thing I might suggest is to step up and pay a little more for a good car than spend less and pay more for the restoration.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #33
HalcyonDays

The car arrived from the west coast yesterday. Everything was as I had expected happy for the experience. Tried to post a photo but for some reason it will not allow
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #34
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
The car arrived from the west coast yesterday. Everything was as I had expected happy for the experience. Tried to post a photo but for some reason it will not allow
The usual problem when posting photos is that they are too large. As a temporary fix email me a copy and I will post it for you. I sent you my email in a PM. Post the hardware and software you are using and the problem you are having and someone should be able to help. Remember there is a "Test Forum" to use for practice.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #35
djlanier

HalcyonDays, is the A400 discussed above the same one recently listed in classifieds on the MAFCA website?
djlanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #36
ronn

dj
that one is in TX
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #37
oldsman41

I dont see it i dont buy it.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #38
LazarusLong

There is no perfect answer. After 2 bad experiences,1 so bad the transport guy called me and asked me if I really wanted the car,I no longer buy ANY car I haven't seen and touched in person.

Then again,I am retired,have a diesel pu and 5 ton equipment trailer,and like road trips,so it's not like going in person is some sort of burden.

I even got screwed one time anyway. The car,a 54 Merc was in northwestern PA,and I talked with the guy on the phone,verified the car was still for sale,and told him I would be leaving NC in the morning to come get it and asked him to hold it for me until I could get there,

Got off to a late start so I called him and told him I was leaving right then and wouldn't get there until the next day,and then called him from my motel room north of DC that night to tell him I would see him in the morning. He told me he would be waiting.

Got to his house about 10 the next morning,and the 54 Merc was gone and nobody would answer the door. Which was probably a good thing because it kept me from getting arrested. The SOB finally answered the phone and told me he had sold it to someone else early that morning.

I didn't lose any money down,but I was out over 200 bucks for expenses and 2 days lost out of my life. Given a chance,I would still hurt him today if I could get my hands on him.
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #39
ronn

cant say that I blame you Laz

dirty deal!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #40
chap52

My personal approach=pray!
I had a deal on a 1929 A in Missouri after the funds were wired the seller told me his mechanic had just pulled the gas tank and was having it tanked because of rust.....Seller immediately returned my funds without a problem.
Then I located a !930 Tudor in Virginia, negotiated a fair price, had it open shipped to Arizona and was extremely blessed with the car, the shipper and the honest seller. Car arrived in great shape, no shipping damage and in better overall condition than I was expecting.
Guess that "pray'n" worked. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote