Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
braol

Default My Clutch Job Observations

So...I am finally doing the clutch job on my new (to me) '31 Tudor I bought this last summer. I have pretty bad shuddering when letting out the clutch. I have also always had a decent engine oil leak through my cotter key hole that demands investigation. So far I am having a complete riot because I am both an antique junkie and a car nut. It's like having died and gone to heaven. I mean, come on...an antique you can DRIVE! Even better is using all my vintage Ford tools!

I've opted for the rear-end removal method because it looks the most straight-forward. Well, that, plus the fact that I do not yet own an engine lift (I've always owned VW's and Porsche's that don't need a lift). I definitely made the right choice. I have the whole rear-end out after only about 4 hours of work...and that includes all the prep work in the car like floorboards, brake and clutch pedal clevis pins, and so on. I've done clutches on tons of VW's and Porsche cars where you drop the engine down on a jack and remove from behind...the Model A has the same feel when pulling the rear out.

Headaches include:
-cotter keys holding the brake rod clevis pins (4) are kind of a pain to get out. I've hated cotter keys ever since I was an A-10 and F-16 jet mechanic. I prefer thicker twisted wire through the cotter hole that can just be snipped and removed...but I digress...

-jacking the car and putting it on jack stands. OH MAN, with the frame rails so high to begin with you have to REALLY jack the Model A up and put blocks under your jack stands. It feels like the car is on a lift when under there working.

-grease: Between the original oil leaks and all the grease it is a messy job. I like the smell of grease and such though so it's not too bad. Lacquer thinner is your friend.

-the unknown: The over-priced (in my estimation) cost of shipping parts will cause delays. I don't want to have to place multiple orders so I am holding off of buying my clutch parts until everything is apart and I can inspect the transmission, oil pan, u-joint, main cap, throw-out and pilot bearings, bolts, rear brakes, etc............ This is really my biggest complaint thus far. $9 to ship a main carburetor jet!? Really?

-worries: Anything not readily available being hopelessly cracked. Ill-fitting replacement parts. Pressure plate finger adjustment (never did this before). Oil leaking out of some 'secret' place and ruining my new clutch plate and having the shudder problem return. All the gears being chewed-up in the transmission and having to spend too much $$$. I'd rather spend my money on gasoline cruising around town than on parts.
My car like to pop out of second gear when climbing steep hills. I figure either 2nd gear is worn down or something else is going on. Trans work looks pretty straight forward and I am actually excited about taking the thing apart and playing around inside.

-good news: My cousin has a complete Model A drive train sitting in his barn from when he turned his Tudor into a hot rod. In event of total failure, not only can he help work on the car but he has a treasure trove of free, available parts. (I am still scamming how to put the drive train in my garage without my wife just falling right over...) The other great thing is that my car runs like a champ so if I can get this clutch sorted out I just might be ready to hit the touring circuit this next summer!

I hope to get some pics on here soon...stay tuned...

Last edited by braol; 10-26-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added content
braol is offline   Reply With Quote