Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
VeryTangled

Thumbs up Hagerstown Wings and Wheels

Hi Everyone. Glenn Sanders invited me to caravan with him and his pinstriper buddy Chris to the airport in Hagerstown, MD. I took the '36 Phaeton, Glenn his Dearborn '35 Tudor, and Chris his bowtie.

Pro'ly 200 cars, about five were my style. A 72 Rivera is my style but this one had about 60K$ of horribe customization, so that was hard to see. A 27 Model A Phaeton which I couldn't find the owner but really dug that car. A 30 Model A Roadster and a nice clean bone stock Olds Toronado, that's about it for cars. Not including Glenn, his car is in top shape cosmetically and is really running well.

Hagerstown has a lot of aviation manufacturing history and this was a fund raiser to get a museum built to house their collection. Here's the museum site http://www.hagerstownaviationmuseum.org/ and here's the event site http://www.wingsandwheelsexpo.com/

After we left, Glenn generously gave me a tour of his ranch and his awesome collection. His wife Cheryl was even more generous and gifted me a Zuke (and a lot of other stuff) bread that had just come out of the oven! Yummy doesn't begin to describe this heavenly delight!

Adding. Ride hopping was going on in the PT-19 and the B-25 at $100 and somewhere between $400 and $500 for the bomber (that info is on the site if you're really interested).

There was a ramp incident that I came upon seconds after it happened. Seems some propwash from taxiing Beechraft demo team (Baron and 3 Bonanza's) spun (ground looped?) a tail dragger's rudder onto a mid-wing's (Tomahawk) wing-tip. I didn't have the stones to whip out the camera. I was there talking to the Tomahawk owner, asking what those plastic pieces he was holding are, when the other pilot walked up and really did a good job of not blowing a gasket. He dropped his popcorn and soda like he was hit by a cattle prod. That's gonna be called 'nobody's fault' but still a big hassle for both guys. A couple of hours later I saw the Tomahawk leaving so I guess he wasn't THAT concerned.

Oh and lastly, there were two professional models draped over several aircraft throughout the day. I accidentially caught this shot while trying to get an airplane photo. Sorry guys for having to look at that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airshow.jpg (24.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg North American B25 & Fairchild PT-19.jpg (17.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Glenn Chris and Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II.jpg (55.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg North American B-25.jpg (41.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg North American P-51.jpg (51.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg North American PT-19 with model.jpg (39.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg ~Glenn in cockpit.jpg (67.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Cheryl's Yummy Zuke Bread.jpg (77.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Glenn's 35 Tudor.jpg (31.2 KB, 85 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-09-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Add photo and comment.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
fourfords

Default Re: Hagerstown Wings and Wheels

My job is to provide Sound and Support at Air Shows across North America. As a matter of fact, I am grateful to help at the Reno Air Races next week and then at Colorado Springs the week after. I also volunteer at Planes Of Fame Air Museum in Chino, CA. These planes and vintage cars represent some of the few artifacts of an era that turned out to be pivotal in American History. "Keep "Em Flying!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NELLIS 2011-RIVERSIDE CAR SHOW 2012 019.jpg (59.8 KB, 42 views)
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
corvette8n

Thanks for sharing the pictures, looked like a fun event.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

Plainville CT (already happened this year) and Simsbury CT (this month I think) airports have car and fly in shows, Lots of planes and cars. Both draw big crowds and cars. Great fun.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
41ford1

"Oh and lastly, there were two professional models draped over several aircraft throughout the day. I accidentially caught this shot while trying to get an airplane photo. Sorry guys for having to look at that one."

More, please.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
VeryTangled

41ford1, Sadly I wasn't overly distracted by the airplane/model encounters and the one I posted is the best I've got of three frames. The one shown was the thinner of the two. The second model, well, her weight-and-balance was shifted to one end. Glenn and I first noticed this from a distance of a hundred yards. She was on top of the B-25 at that moment and we were not close by.

They were both twenty-foot'ers. Frequently the people are as entertaining as the event! This crowd was nothing like the one at the motor vehicle admin. last month!

For the airplane fans, I've posted video snips of the P-51 running (:57 sec) and the B-25 on takeoff (:19 sec.) These are more for the sound than the sights. Access was fabulous!

P-51 Mustang: https://youtu.be/Sp56yCcK694
B-25 Mitchell: https://youtu.be/IF3MNRfmSQU

Edit to add: Fair play, Glenn got this snap of me. We're waiting for taxi clearance, me with my 'out in the sun' hat on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeff in pilot's seat.jpg (47.5 KB, 32 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-10-2017 at 11:43 AM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
glennsanders

Yes it was a great day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170909_090821108.jpg (49.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170910_155514.jpg (13.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by glennsanders; 09-10-2017 at 02:58 PM.
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

Looks like a great time. Wish I could have joined you guys. Good to see your faces again. I think if Glenn were my pilot it would be a wild ride!
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote