Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
VeryTangled

Default 35 Fordor Julianos No Weld B-pillar seat belt bracket

Hi Everyone. I was looking at seat belts.

I learned from reading FordBarn that Julianos makes a piece that fits in the B-pillar of 35-48 Fords, to attach a shoulder harness type belt. The description includes "Slides up into B-pillar and screws in place." Info and photo here: http://www.julianos.com/No-Weld-B-pi...p/ju010955.htm

Julianos customer service rep, Joe, sent me this reply when I asked about putting them in a '35 Fordor.

"I'm not sure how that No Weld Bracket will work in a 4 door. We have only used it here in 2 door cars. I'm not sure if you can get into the post to slide it up, you may want to look at that before ordering."

So my question, is the B-pillar different enough that this piece would work in a 2 door but NOT in a 4 door? Remember I want to use this in a 1935 Fordor Touring Sedan.

Thanks 'Barn'ers! You're the best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (15.6 KB, 32 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 08-30-2017 at 04:25 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: Julianos No Weld B-pillar seat belt bracket

I put them in my '41 fordor but there was no room to put the seat belt housing on the floor. I mounted it under the seat, ran the belt up the post. had to reverse the buckle to make it lay correct when buckled.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:13 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post

Julianos customer service rep, Joe, sent me this reply when I asked about putting them in a '35 Fordor.

"I'm not sure how that No Weld Bracket will work in a 4 door. We have only used it here in 2 door cars. I'm not sure if you can get into the post to slide it up, you may want to look at that before ordering."

So my question, is the B-pillar different enough that this piece would work in a 2 door but NOT in a 4 door? Remember I want to use this in a 1935 Fordor Touring Sedan.

Thanks 'Barn'ers! You're the best!
Call them back and get the dimensions of the piece of threaded bar stock.
Make up a duplicate out of wood to see if it will fit.
If it works then you can pass that on to them.
If not, there is nothing that says one can't be fabricated that will work.
(Use some imagination)
Old 08-30-2017, 03:25 AM   #4
Mart

I'd be more concerned about actually how strong the B pillar is. How good are the welds top and bottom.

That said, you might be able to drill right through the pillar and use a suitable bolt and sleeve to attach the upper mount.

It will never be as strong as a modern car but may offer some protection in a minor shunt.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #5
Frank Miller

As Mart says, it will never be strong as a modern car. I guess the real purpose of seatbelts in old cars is to keep from being thrown from the vehicle, which is the cause of most fatalities. Whatever you put there will work better than what is currently there.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I'd be more concerned about actually how strong the B pillar is. How good are the welds top and bottom.

That said, you might be able to drill right through the pillar and use a suitable bolt and sleeve to attach the upper mount.

It will never be as strong as a modern car but may offer some protection in a minor shunt.

Mart.
Mart brings up an excellent point. The center door post on a fordor is definitely not as strong as the post on a tudor. The tudor post gets it's strength from the quarter panel, roof and floor pan. The fordor post is just a simple post that attaches to a small area at the roof and floor pan.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
rotorwrench

In aviation, alterations have to be tested to their G-force load minimums posted in an advisory circular. With seat restraints, the minimum load is 1,500 Lbs per attachment. For shoulder and lap belts together equals 3,000 Lbs. In areas that start to distort before reaching the minimum limit, a cable is attached to another frame member to aid the original structure. When that is not possible, the structure is generally reinforced with further gussets or members as required to get the job done. On aircraft, most of the structure is aluminum or steel tube. Many of the old helicopters I maintain are likely equal in structural strength of those old steel fordor B-pillars.

A person would be surprised at what some of those fordor B pillars can hold. Even if it distorts some, it will still get the job done.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
40cpe

I put 3 point belts in my '40 coupe in the early '90's. As I remember, there was only the body sheet metal turned from the door opening and the quarter window opening to form the inner face of the B pillar. I do remember being concerned if the sheet metal would tear away in a crash. I'm thankful that we drove the car for 20 years across the southeast with no need to test them.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
johnboy34

You can always fab a piece of bar stock that would work. It's only drilled and tapped. Another way to do it is in this thread on the hamb. Starting @ post # 729.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...788490/page-25
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #10
mhsprecher

I used Juliano's hardware on my 39 Fordor sedan and it worked great, but it's a 39 and not a 35. I put the retractor behind the seat. Not an ideal locations. Others suggested under the seat. A good idea, but i had already finished the job.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
Floyd

Kinda off the main question, but--, Juliano's makes great seat belts and great hardware. I used the three point in my 40 pickup. Welded the shoulder attachment to the cab. The great news is that the retractor reel fits PERFECTLY in the lower cab corner, (the one that is always rusted out). Only time I have been lucky.
My opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
mhsprecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Kinda off the main question, but--, Juliano's makes great seat belts and great hardware. I used the three point in my 40 pickup. Welded the shoulder attachment to the cab. The great news is that the retractor reel fits PERFECTLY in the lower cab corner, (the one that is always rusted out). Only time I have been lucky.
My opinion
I wish I could fit them in my 45, but with the gas tank under the seat, that won't work. I just put lap belts in mine.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote