Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
VeryTangled

Default Introducing Jeff's '35 Fordor

Hi Everyone, This is the introductory story of a new-to-me '35 Fordor Touring with trunk.

Some of you know I was half-owner with my Dad, member Henry@1140, in a 1936 Phaeton. That was a car he thought was desirable. We spent four years refurbishing almost every mechanical system except the engine and wiring. The car runs and drives pretty well, there's a little steering glitch, and the brakes are not as good as they've been in the past, but I love the car and have great memories of working on it with Dad, and our good friend JM35. When Dad passed in 2013 I became full owner.

For the last couple of years I've been telling myself that one car is fun and two cars is not going to be twice the fun. Same thing I used to tell Dad when he drooled over '40 Convertibles! I looked at a couple of pickups, but never got the urge to reach for my wallet.

In early June my Mom called and said there was a '34 Ford in the local paper for $14,500. Of course I thought "Hmmmm, '34 Fords don't usually sell for that price, maybe I should give the guy a call." So I did.

Turns out it was a running and driving '35 Fordor Touring with Trunk, the fella had it for 52 years, kept in the same garage I ended up pulling it out of. Even better because the '35 and '36 are so similar.

"Hmmm" again, sez I, and arrange to go look at it. When I got there I climbed around it, took some photos, asked to hear it run, thank the man, and go home. I didn't even drive it. I think I was trying to not fall in love with it.

It was almost all there and with no serious changes. The first thing I noticed is what I thought was a hideous paint job. Metal flake green with black fenders and wheels. Just Ewww, was my reaction.

It had a '37ish block, with '36 heads (news to the owner when I pointed it out), but otherwise it was pretty standard stuff you'd see on a car at a V8 Club meet; mechanical brakes, kneeling shocks, 6V, solid floors with light rust underneath. The fella who showed it to me had just done $1,200 work on it including a 'tune-up and new water pumps.' (Got 'em from a guy in Florida, yippee I said.)

I thought about it for a few days, and came up with a number that it would be worth for me, and decided we were too far apart to make my offer not sound insulting. I got a text on the fourth day "What's up, why didn't you make an offer?" I tell the man what I saw, what would have to be fixed for it to suit the want that I have for it (a car that I could hop in, and drive, man, drive, for days, the Phaeton doesn't even have door locks or real windows). This '35 had a lot of systems that are just very tired, shocks, springs, etc. If there's a fluid in it, it leaks.

I tell the man the price I was thinking, and why I didn't want to insult.

Well I ran across a very motivated seller, and he said "I guess the first guy with that much money gets it." I sez, "Now you're making me think really hard."

I brought it home five days later. When the wife walked in the door, seeing it in the driveway, she said she likes the way it looks! BONUS! Also when Mom saw it, she liked it. So I guess I'm the only one that thinks it's ugly.

I'm a little ashamed to say I think I may have stolen it. This is the first antique car I've ever purchased and I wanted to be cautious about getting under water from the get-go. All the others have been bought by my Dad including A's, T's, an '05 Stanley, Pantera, Cougar Eliminator, '71 Rivera, '68 Catalina, well dad like to flip cars and was up over 100 owned and sent along. I learned you make your money when you buy, not so much when you sell.

In the last month I've changed all fluids at least once, put on new radiator hoses, reconnected a bullet to get the brake/tail lights working, and change out a wonky speedometer with a spare I found in the garage. I've spent some time fiddling with lights and wires and started cleaning up a pretty thick layer of gunk underneath (1/4 inch in places). I'm looking at a list with fourteen items on it that need some attention: breather screen clogged, wipers don't wipe, spare cover missing, missing splash pans, gas gauge missing, oil pressure has no needle, battery box 1/2 gone, shocks, springs, leaking engine, horns don't work, steering leaks, trunk is a mess, dash lights don't work, front seat springs are shot on my side.

I've put a couple of hundred miles on it. It doesn't especially overheat, but the radiator is and block is likely contaminated with rubber debris from deteriorated hoses as described here... https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198594

I'm still thinking about what to do, keep it - it is my first purchase, or sell it (everyone knows what's wrong with it now). Drive the Phaeton more, trade two cars for one that would take me to Alaska and back? Still thinking, but so far I'm enjoying this '35, and daydreaming about the future. Thanks for reading!

The paint photo, when it was painted 11 years ago, some rubber pieces were never unmasked, bonus paint chips! The last two shots are the Auto Shop at the College where I do some work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC2764.jpg (79.4 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2765.jpg (66.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2763.jpg (99.3 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2766.jpg (82.6 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2767.jpg (85.2 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2623.jpg (48.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2625.jpg (77.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2629.jpg (61.8 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2630.jpg (38.9 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2646.jpg (44.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2647.jpg (52.4 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2805.jpg (46.4 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2872.jpg (71.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2799.jpg (42.2 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2873.jpg (54.2 KB, 273 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: adjusting a photo
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
LBs 37V8

Default Re: Introducing Jeff's '35 Fordor

Congratulations Jeff! There's nothing else that'll move negotiations along like a motivated seller!! I kinda like the two tone thing going on there. And ya got a real trunk too.
Always nice to have a spare car...
Bryan
LBs 37V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
41ford1

Oh oh. Two will become three. Could you really part with the phaeton?

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
petehoovie

I like it too many!....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
cmbrucew

Jeff
I like that car a lot. That green paint with black fenders looks good. Scratch them off the list one at a time. will be a fun car to drive.
Bruce
Old 07-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Bill

You can park that one at Walmart for a short stop. Don't try it with the phaeton. A practical cruiser. Think JM35...
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

nice car!...why can't it drive to Alaska?...have fun....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
oldford2

Jeff, that is nice! Same as jm's? He would drive his to Alaska. If you sell it you will look back in 5-10 years and kick yourself. Save it for later.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #9
TJ

There's nothing better than a four door sedan for touring. When you have friends go with you everybody has a door.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the encouraging comments, many from personal friends! Thanks fellas.

Could I part with the Phaeton? Wow, that would be a big ask, I think! Too much sentimental stuff there, I'm pretty sure, at least today. And that's an issue because it's not a super practical car. No cold weather. No wet weather. No locking doors.

I think it's growing on me daily. Going to try to get it to Gettysburg along with the Phaeton, which should be interesting. It doesn't get as much attention as the convertible that's for sure. Which might be a good thing.

The body style was a factor for sure. The trunk might not look a sexy as JM's slantback Fordor, but I might be able to swing the the trunk and a luggage rack too! Man I could have all the gear in the world with me! Might need some moonshiner springs though!

Another factor was the long ownership. The guy wasn't a mechanic, but he'd had the car since high school, and that meant I wasn't going to have to deal with a whole lot of people putting the car to suit their tastes. It's very stock, and that's what I have been raised to like.

The recent spend on repairs was also focused on brakes. It has these weird bent rods but the thing stops!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #11
41ford1

You had me worried there. The sedan sounds like it is a good one. Drive it to gain some confidence in it. Then head to the North West. You could join up with Old Henry.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
You had me worried there. The sedan sounds like it is a good one. Drive it to gain some confidence in it. Then head to the North West. You could join up with Old Henry.
Hi, Please give the spouse a hug and butt-pinch from me!

I might just have to head northeast before westward! Get me s'more lobsta!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
mhsprecher

I started with one Model A, then got another and then got two V8s at the same time. Thinking about car no. 5 now. Just going a little crazy, but why not?
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #14
41ford1

Done.

Come on up for lobstah. Good eat'n at the sea coast.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #15
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Done.

Come on up for lobstah. Good eat'n at the sea coast.
Strangely, I bought the car locally, but the owner was in FL. So I gotta go south too! He needs to drive it again!

And BONUS, eat Crabs here, eat Crabs in FL, eat Bugs in NH/ME! Such is the life of the omnivore!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #16
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I started with one Model A, then got another and then got two V8s at the same time. Thinking about car no. 5 now. Just going a little crazy, but why not?
Okay, I have an 800 number for you, my friend! We can beat this if we do it together!

Ooops the 800 number is for Barrett-Jackson!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Jeff, I never met a '35 Ford, of any body style, that I didn't like, or didn't want to own , and now that that old gal is out of the dimly lit garage that she's spent the last 50+ years in, she's looking mighty nice to me! A trunk back fordor sedan makes an excellent touring car. The flatback sedans are real nice until you really need to get at something that's packed in the rear of the storage area behind the rear seat back, with all your luggage and other baggage piled on the rear seat. Just ask me how I know about this.
We need to get your list of items on that car taken care of because there was some talk going on at Tulsa about the possibilities of a tour to some meeting point in the Northwest and then from there on up to Alaska. I expressed an interest in going along on that tour if the plans become a reality.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #18
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Jeff, I never met a '35 Ford, of any body style, that I didn't like, or didn't want to own , and now that that old gal is out of the dimly lit garage that she's spent the last 50+ years in, she's looking mighty nice to me! A trunk back fordor sedan makes an excellent touring car. The flatback sedans are real nice until you really need to get at something that's packed in the rear of the storage area behind the rear seat back, with all your luggage and other baggage piled on the rear seat. Just ask me how I know about this.
We need to get your list of items on that car taken care of because there was some talk going on at Tulsa about the possibilities of a tour to some meeting point in the Northwest and then from there on up to Alaska. I expressed an interest in going along on that tour if the plans become a reality.
Hi Everyone, JM, I expect you'll be getting behind the wheel here soon, and a nice 'parts needed' inventory. Your wonderful wife won't notice what I lift off your place at all! Onward to the land of the Midnight Sun!

JM gave consultation before before purchase.

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #19
tub1

enjoy both cars don't sell, money that you may make, will be lost looking for another sedan nothing like windows on a unpleasant day ,nothing like no windows on a pleasant day that's why I have both now start looking for a coupe
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #20
Cecil/WV

Jeff, It had slipped my mind(nothing new) that you told me about buying this '35 at the last club meeting. I like that car better than the slant back. As for a trip to Alaska, I am probably in, although I am not sure why? Ron Stauffer called me a couple of weeks before Tulsa and asked me if I had ever thought about driving my Ford to Alaska and I said "not much", but we'll see! I'm not one to drive my Ford very far! Lol
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #21
Brendan

nice car Jeff, i like it!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #22
38 coupe

As other folks have said you can't go wrong with a fordor sedan. They don't get the attention the open cars do, but they are tops for worry free driving. When driving by yourself the view over the hood looks amazingly similar to the view out of any more expensive car of the same year. When driving with other folks it is easy to load and go.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #23
35fordtn

Jeff,
Nice car! You'll have some fun with it. I love 4 door sedans. They are more affordable and just as much fun. Also I try to imagine if I lived in the 1930's and went to buy a new Ford, it would have likely been a trunk back 4 door due to the amount of versatility they have. And if I had the money back then a phaeton would have made a good weekend car for the family. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds a Phaeton and a 4 door sedan. I have a 1933 and a 1937 4 door and the blue 1935 humpback is one I finished up for my father last year. You would be surprised how much stuff you can pack in those little trunks!

Look forward to seeing yours at Gettysburg!

131614_282030678578888_1760716198_o.jpg

13131199_948546815260601_8566737436170458851_o.jpg

472328_187965964652027_1879616527_o.jpg
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #24
Seth Swoboda

Jeff, WOW! I don't check in here for a weekend and I miss the big news. I like it. That car will make and excellent touring car as many have already said. Coupes are really nice but the sedans have their place as well. This car is in better shape than that '40 tudor dad and I just bought. Fix what needs repaired now and drive it. You can always repaint it later. By the way your mom sounds like an Early Ford lady, will she adopt me?

Jeff I started out with a 1931 Model A Vicky that I restored just after high school. Really nice car but not one you want to make a long tour in. So then I moved onto a '67 Mustang coupe that I saved from the dead. Great car for touring in but my heart is really in prewar Fords. Next project, the '39 pickup that needed restored. It was a basket case project that my grandfather never got to. Figured, it wasn't going to restore itself. Then this 1940 tudor came along. I told my dad about it and we checked it out. Too good an opportunity to pass up, we sold ourselves. Between my dad and I, 6 fords, 4 of which run and drive. The '40 we're going to get too soon and the '46 coupe is definitely on the list to get on the road again.

Now to address your question on what to do with two cars. My advice is to keep them both (you knew it would). Why not? If you have a place for them, can afford them both then go for it. I tell my wife that you can't be a collector if you're selling. Can you have too many? If you intend to maintain them all to reliable driving status, yes. But I believe you can do that with two cars. I'm sure your dad would be proud.

I'm glad to see you got a deal worked out with the '35. JM will be a big source of assistance. You're lucky you have these guys near you. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy yourself.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 07-11-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #25
Vic Piano

Jeff, in my view of the world of Flathead V8 Fords, owning one is one too many, ten is a good start and a hundred is not enough...
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #26
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone.

Catching up, I've had the car for thirteen months. Probably has at least 1300 miles since I've had it, maybe a lot more.

The wife likes this car and doesn't want to ride in the Phaeton because there's no solid roof. So I'm picking away at having fun and fixing this car. The last few weeks I've been lucky enough to drive each one at minimum twice a week. The '35 a lot more. The '36 is a dreamboat though, everything works except the wipers. Great driving car.

I'm being surprised by so many original things I'm finding on the Green '35. In fact I found the robe-rail sash-thing from the back of the seat, laying in the trunk recently. 85 years old and not in useable shape, but whoever yanked the interior kept it, and I found it.

Our great buddy JM 35 Sedan donated a tail-lamp license plate lens. I put it in today along with three new gaskets total on that side, and two new gaskets on the passenger side. Both lamps are good and bright and now water-tight! Had to clean and paint the tiny pieces that screw through the tail light and hold that lens in place, one of them is about 80% gone but I got the new lens holding so far.

Changed the spedo cable. Non functional spedo replaced last summer, then in the fall, the cable snapped (I found out today, at the turtle end). I looked at it last year a couple of times but at the turtle it was seriously crusted over with thick muck and wouldn't come off from below the car. Just getting it straightened out today. Nice to have an odometer again, as it serves as our gas gauge too! The replacement cable, our other great buddy Glenn Sanders gave me for helping to collect parts for the 3w he got this past winter.

Finally tore up the awful glued-in carpet, to remove the trans cover pan, to get to the spedo cable/turtle, and found the number on the trans matches the frame, BONUS! Toe boards are originals (80 year old plywood), and about 2/3 of the hardware was original.

Removed carb that was leaking and put on a 97 that CharlieNY loved-up for me last summer. It's running much better and that dangerous and stinky fuel leak is gone. The removed carb has 48 on it in two places, so BONUS again, it's actually a 1935 carb. That one is going to be looked at and just might get put back on.

Pulled the shocks on Tuesday, boxed them, and they are on the way to rebuilding. Hoping they are rebuildable. JM gave them the once-over at our club meeting Tuesday night and said they have a good chance!

I've got five new tires showed up from delivery today! If I'm lucky I get a couple of them mounted before noon tomorrow. After that I'm visiting with dear-old-mother whom some of you know from the Gettysburg meets!

Next major fix is an engine replacement. That will have to include going through the radiator, and transmission. I have the engine ready to go in. BONUS, that engine already has a new clutch and PP. It's a '37 with block-off plates that Mark Moriarty from NY did for my Dad about six or eight years ago. It's just like the one that's belching smoke and puking oil that's in it now. I easily turned the rebuilt engine over by hand today and she's free and wants to get in a car badly.

Changing the oil today on the '35, which has about 500 miles on it. Maybe my fifth oil change since I've had it. The oil came out, well, thick, and carrying a lot of blackness. The dipstick shows just a whisker high with four quarts added. I'm convinced there must be a whole quart of gunk in the oil pan, and can assume the valley too! Good thing that engine is coming out soon!

Next parts order includes motor mounts, cowl vent gasket, hood bumpers, gaskets for pedals and hand-brake. I've gotta do some fixing on the trunk hinges. And get a couple of sets of keys made.

So, that brings us up to date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161225_124154.jpg (86.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20170701_145728.jpg (82.3 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-21-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #27
mhsprecher

Good deal. You have been busy, as I have been, too.

Both my V8s are doing pretty well, now. I have been working on my Model A roadster. I wanted to take it to the Model A meeting in Gettysburg in a couple of weeks, but I don't think that will happen. The story of my life with national meets lately, I guess, but at least I will take an antique!

As for the shocks, did you check with Fred Wilner? I got a NOS shock for my truck from him for less than the cost of a rebuild.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #28
chuck stevens

Jeff, Nice find, now we have to plan a fall tour to prove it's reliability, PA route 6 is very pretty in the fall, good to hear from you, Chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #29
Frank Miller

Jeff,
Thanks for the story and letting me be one of the people you have let drive your car. Looks like you're going to be driving this to Dearborn.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #30
Seth Swoboda

Hey Jeff,
Good to hear you're progressing nicely on the '35. I enjoyed driving it in Chantilly. In fact I think you gave Alex the bug. He as been actively looking for a car now. For those that don't know my friend Alex and I flew to the EFV8 club eastern meet in Chantilly VA and Jeff very graciously loaned us his '35 sedan for the entire meet! If I lived closer I'd be over there asap pulling that engine and installing the new one. Keep us posted on how repairs are coming along.

Jeff also let me drive his '36 phaeton. I have never driven an open car before and Jeff's was a real thrill. Frank Miller, I'll probably need a ride in your convertible now as well. Can't wait to see you all at the next meet.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #31
Cecil/WV

Sounds like it is coming along pretty nice. Glad you are having fun!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #32
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Jeff, Nice find, now we have to plan a fall tour to prove it's reliability, PA route 6 is very pretty in the fall, good to hear from you, Chuck.
Hi Chuck, a fall tour would be great. Always had a great time on our previous Barner's tours.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #33
corvette8n

Love the picture with the log cabin.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #34
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Fall tour? I'm up for one. Let's do it.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #35
chuck stevens

Well that's three! I always thought route 6 in PA, starting in Millford PA and going west

would make a nice scenic tour. I don't want to take over Jeff's but let me know, chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #36
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, seeking opinions on two upcoming repairs.

Before that. I purchased Auburn Radials, 600R16's. Blackwalls. Mounted and balanced them, finished last Friday. I'll let you know how happy I am when I know more. But it feels great to get the 33 year old tires off the car!

Now for my questions. What’s your best way to get the gear shift knob unscrewed without buggering it up? From what I've seen from some of the places of this car, it may have been on there since the assembly line. I’ve got a shift tower boot to install and the knob will not budge after the first couple of tries twisting by hand. I'm gonna start some penetrating lube, but then what do you think?

And what’s your best way to get old gasket material off the cowl vent? And then I want advice for cleaning, refurbishing, and replacing the gasket in this area with one coming from C&G (likely a Carpenter piece).

There’s water coming from under the dash if it rains hard enough, and I assume the gasket and or drain is the issue. It vent leaks just enough to piss me off and if I don’t do something it will cause me rotted floors! The vent otherwise works like it should so I’d like to avoid a lot of disassembly.

It wouldn’t surprise me that the gasket is compromised by gasoline fumes, there had been a carb leak for what looks like decades and the car would stink pretty high. In some places the gasket looks like it has been replaced within the last ten years (when the car was painted 12 years ago by PO?), but then in other places it's turned to goo/tar.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

P.S. I'd like to have a little 'talk' with the person who got hold of that blue paint that's all over the interior!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0054.jpg (38.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0046.jpg (70.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0047.jpg (51.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0049.jpg (61.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0050.jpg (79.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-31-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #37
Kens 36

Hi Jeff. I use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, lots of rubbing, and even more patience to remove the old gasket residue. It takes a lot of time, but works well.

I had nothing to do with the blue paint. Honest.

Ken
Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 PM   #38
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
Hi Jeff. I use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner
Ken
Great Ken, you're the best. I just put a quart on order! I also threw a container of Goo Gone in the shopping cart because I remember that working well on certain stuff.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #39
VeryTangled

This little beauty has a "new" Mark Moriarty engine, super fresh tranny, all new brake rods, clevices, pins etc., and is getting tuned up for a great year of driving. This is a teaser, pics to come soon.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #40
Kens 36

Jeff,

This should make Seth and Alex very happy��. Looking forward to the pics.

Ken
Old 01-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #41
Charlie ny
BANNED

Jeff,
You never mentioned the acorn covers on the intake cap screws !
Henry would have his critique , but I'm diggin' it.
All the best,
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:18 AM   #42
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
Jeff, This should make Seth and Alex very happy��. Looking forward to the pics. Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Jeff, You never mentioned the acorn covers on the intake cap screws! Henry would have his critique , but I'm diggin' it. All the best, Charlie ny
You guys make me laugh. Charlie, those covers lasted about a week before they came off. Those pics are from the day I brought it home! IDK what Dad might have thought, Pro or Con, but crappy "almost chrome" plastic caps on top of original Ford bolts <Angels Singing>... Naaah.

1) The engine was built from parts that Dad, henry@1140, supplied to Mark Moriarty. We got the finished engine six years ago, I guess. It waited for it's turn, and now it's starting quickly, running nice and pulling strong.

2) We did have to remove that grill. Putting it back was, um, not a smooth process. The load-leveler both helped and hurt. At one point we couldn't crank it because the handle was fouling the chains. We had to remove the handle and work it with a ratchet from the opposite end for a while. Jury is out. I love those license plates! They should be white/cream background with dark blue letters but they look orange w/ black letters from age and surface rust. Took 'em to the Gov't tag place unpainted and they puzzled a long time before I convinced them the colors were right. I ain't fixin' them until the car is painted, which probably means never.

3) My index finger went knuckle deep in this sludge. Please everyone, stop asking why 5qts at oil change makes your dipstick high... This kind of stuff takes up volume in the oil pan, hmmm?!?

4) You think this is a just a cat, so wrong. Folks, let me introduce you to Blue Eyes. She's forgotten more about 35 Fords than most of y'all ever knew! Yoda looked a little funny too! Just sayin' Plus she hoards parts and knows where they all are!

5) Magic will be happening with this pile when put in JM35Sedan's hands. (And essential bits supplied from my favorite vendor of the really good stuff, Third Gen Automotive, 35fordtn here on the 'Barn, ebay https://www.ebay.com/str/Third-Gen-Automotive, please excuse the shameless plug but I wouldn't be at this stage without several parts orders!) (Second shameless plug for Gasoline as the best parts cleaner, though very un-PC.)

JM is gonna have to chime in here with a few more snapshots because I don't see many more good ones in my library.

P.S. Sadly Frank Miller's prediction of me taking it to Dearborn didn't happen, it was, well, broken. After I ordered that 3M adhesive remover, which worked great the cowl gasket is much better now, I buggered up the fuel and spark systems (Skip, Max & Charlie playing Santa's Helpers, please support these vendors, you will not be disappointed!), which are sorted out now except for the cruddy tank and no gauge (any nice '35 fuel tanks left on earth?, please let me know if you have a lead). We're confident of taking this car to Auburn this summer! The Phaeton went to Michigan with me and it performed perfectly. (Until I drove over one of the running board trim strips at the Motor Muster... My bad. That dang thing never stayed on the car, but I've got a fix for it thanks to Don Rogers!)

P.S.S. Glenn Sanders doesn't know it but the cluster shaft for my rebuild came from the leftovers from one of his pieces and is in that 'numbers matching' case. Thanks Glenn.

P.S.S.S I now owe JM at least one year working on his cars! I'ma hold him to that deal too! You can just catch him in pic 2 on the right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0292.jpg (88.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0309.jpg (54.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0318.jpg (86.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0329.jpg (61.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0330.jpg (74.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-06-2019 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Adding sh*t
Old 01-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #43
VeryTangled

A few that JM put up in another thread...

I've just realized that red load-leveler worked okay, it was the yellow one we had issues with. That yellow one is the POS that I own, it was fouled on the lift arm not the chain. I could also be an idiot who doesn't know which way to hook it up?!?

Here's another tidbit for y'all. This car just might have been Biaritz Blue from what flaking paint I'm finding, but the engine compartment is black. I wish it had never been painted (twice or three times)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180908_145126248_HDR(1).jpg (81.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180908_155113989_HDR(1).jpg (73.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181021_180337812(1).jpg (85.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181007_173550897_HDR-2(1).jpg (88.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-06-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #44
Kens 36

Looking great Jeff! I'm sure you will have it ready in plenty of time for Auburn.

Ken
Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #45
Brendan

is Blue Eyes the shop cat? the Shop cat i had had grease on him

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #46
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
is Blue Eyes the shop cat? the Shop cat i had had grease on him
She's the Yang to JM's Ying. In the mechanic sense of the meaning. One time, while the engine was out, and the trans cover off, after a week's layoff I found some white hairs on the rear seat. Good for her to find that soft spot, I thought! Karma blessings for the Green Beast.

I've probably never mentioned it, but the dumbasses that painted it, removed the roof insert, and used black convertible top material in it's place. The only d-bags who worked on the car were the painters and interior guys. Praise be that it hasn't leaked and ruined the headliner... Yet.

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-06-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #47
Seth Swoboda

Jeff,

That engine was slugged up something bad! I can't believe you let me drive that car around Virginia! (just kidding).

I think in Auburn we're going to have a flathead drag race this year. Sanctioned or not! Can't wait to hammer down in the green beast!