Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
VeryTangled

Default Introducing Jeff's '35 Fordor

Hi Everyone, This is the introductory story of a new-to-me '35 Fordor Touring with trunk.

Some of you know I was half-owner with my Dad, member Henry@1140, in a 1936 Phaeton. That was a car he thought was desirable. We spent four years refurbishing almost every mechanical system except the engine and wiring. The car runs and drives pretty well, there's a little steering glitch, and the brakes are not as good as they've been in the past, but I love the car and have great memories of working on it with Dad, and our good friend JM35. When Dad passed in 2013 I became full owner.

For the last couple of years I've been telling myself that one car is fun and two cars is not going to be twice the fun. Same thing I used to tell Dad when he drooled over '40 Convertibles! I looked at a couple of pickups, but never got the urge to reach for my wallet.

In early June my Mom called and said there was a '34 Ford in the local paper for $14,500. Of course I thought "Hmmmm, '34 Fords don't usually sell for that price, maybe I should give the guy a call." So I did.

Turns out it was a running and driving '35 Fordor Touring with Trunk, the fella had it for 52 years, kept in the same garage I ended up pulling it out of. Even better because the '35 and '36 are so similar.

"Hmmm" again, sez I, and arrange to go look at it. When I got there I climbed around it, took some photos, asked to hear it run, thank the man, and go home. I didn't even drive it. I think I was trying to not fall in love with it.

It was almost all there and with no serious changes. The first thing I noticed is what I thought was a hideous paint job. Metal flake green with black fenders and wheels. Just Ewww, was my reaction.

It had a '37ish block, with '36 heads (news to the owner when I pointed it out), but otherwise it was pretty standard stuff you'd see on a car at a V8 Club meet; mechanical brakes, kneeling shocks, 6V, solid floors with light rust underneath. The fella who showed it to me had just done $1,200 work on it including a 'tune-up and new water pumps.' (Got 'em from a guy in Florida, yippee I said.)

I thought about it for a few days, and came up with a number that it would be worth for me, and decided we were too far apart to make my offer not sound insulting. I got a text on the fourth day "What's up, why didn't you make an offer?" I tell the man what I saw, what would have to be fixed for it to suit the want that I have for it (a car that I could hop in, and drive, man, drive, for days, the Phaeton doesn't even have door locks or real windows). This '35 had a lot of systems that are just very tired, shocks, springs, etc. If there's a fluid in it, it leaks.

I tell the man the price I was thinking, and why I didn't want to insult.

Well I ran across a very motivated seller, and he said "I guess the first guy with that much money gets it." I sez, "Now you're making me think really hard."

I brought it home five days later. When the wife walked in the door, seeing it in the driveway, she said she likes the way it looks! BONUS! Also when Mom saw it, she liked it. So I guess I'm the only one that thinks it's ugly.

I'm a little ashamed to say I think I may have stolen it. This is the first antique car I've ever purchased and I wanted to be cautious about getting under water from the get-go. All the others have been bought by my Dad including A's, T's, an '05 Stanley, Pantera, Cougar Eliminator, '71 Rivera, '68 Catalina, well dad like to flip cars and was up over 100 owned and sent along. I learned you make your money when you buy, not so much when you sell.

In the last month I've changed all fluids at least once, put on new radiator hoses, reconnected a bullet to get the brake/tail lights working, and change out a wonky speedometer with a spare I found in the garage. I've spent some time fiddling with lights and wires and started cleaning up a pretty thick layer of gunk underneath (1/4 inch in places). I'm looking at a list with fourteen items on it that need some attention: breather screen clogged, wipers don't wipe, spare cover missing, missing splash pans, gas gauge missing, oil pressure has no needle, battery box 1/2 gone, shocks, springs, leaking engine, horns don't work, steering leaks, trunk is a mess, dash lights don't work, front seat springs are shot on my side.

I've put a couple of hundred miles on it. It doesn't especially overheat, but the radiator is and block is likely contaminated with rubber debris from deteriorated hoses as described here... https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198594

I'm still thinking about what to do, keep it - it is my first purchase, or sell it (everyone knows what's wrong with it now). Drive the Phaeton more, trade two cars for one that would take me to Alaska and back? Still thinking, but so far I'm enjoying this '35, and daydreaming about the future. Thanks for reading!

The paint photo, when it was painted 11 years ago, some rubber pieces were never unmasked, bonus paint chips! The last two shots are the Auto Shop at the College where I do some work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC2764.jpg (79.4 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2765.jpg (66.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2763.jpg (99.3 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2766.jpg (82.6 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2767.jpg (85.2 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2623.jpg (48.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2625.jpg (77.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2629.jpg (61.8 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2630.jpg (38.9 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2646.jpg (44.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2647.jpg (52.4 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2805.jpg (46.4 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2872.jpg (71.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2799.jpg (42.2 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC2873.jpg (54.2 KB, 273 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: adjusting a photo
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
LBs 37V8

Default Re: Introducing Jeff's '35 Fordor

Congratulations Jeff! There's nothing else that'll move negotiations along like a motivated seller!! I kinda like the two tone thing going on there. And ya got a real trunk too.
Always nice to have a spare car...
Bryan
LBs 37V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
41ford1

Oh oh. Two will become three. Could you really part with the phaeton?

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
petehoovie

I like it too many!....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
cmbrucew

Jeff
I like that car a lot. That green paint with black fenders looks good. Scratch them off the list one at a time. will be a fun car to drive.
Bruce
Old 07-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Bill

You can park that one at Walmart for a short stop. Don't try it with the phaeton. A practical cruiser. Think JM35...
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

nice car!...why can't it drive to Alaska?...have fun....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
oldford2

Jeff, that is nice! Same as jm's? He would drive his to Alaska. If you sell it you will look back in 5-10 years and kick yourself. Save it for later.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #9
TJ

There's nothing better than a four door sedan for touring. When you have friends go with you everybody has a door.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the encouraging comments, many from personal friends! Thanks fellas.

Could I part with the Phaeton? Wow, that would be a big ask, I think! Too much sentimental stuff there, I'm pretty sure, at least today. And that's an issue because it's not a super practical car. No cold weather. No wet weather. No locking doors.

I think it's growing on me daily. Going to try to get it to Gettysburg along with the Phaeton, which should be interesting. It doesn't get as much attention as the convertible that's for sure. Which might be a good thing.

The body style was a factor for sure. The trunk might not look a sexy as JM's slantback Fordor, but I might be able to swing the the trunk and a luggage rack too! Man I could have all the gear in the world with me! Might need some moonshiner springs though!

Another factor was the long ownership. The guy wasn't a mechanic, but he'd had the car since high school, and that meant I wasn't going to have to deal with a whole lot of people putting the car to suit their tastes. It's very stock, and that's what I have been raised to like.

The recent spend on repairs was also focused on brakes. It has these weird bent rods but the thing stops!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #11
41ford1

You had me worried there. The sedan sounds like it is a good one. Drive it to gain some confidence in it. Then head to the North West. You could join up with Old Henry.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
You had me worried there. The sedan sounds like it is a good one. Drive it to gain some confidence in it. Then head to the North West. You could join up with Old Henry.
Hi, Please give the spouse a hug and butt-pinch from me!

I might just have to head northeast before westward! Get me s'more lobsta!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
mhsprecher

I started with one Model A, then got another and then got two V8s at the same time. Thinking about car no. 5 now. Just going a little crazy, but why not?
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #14
41ford1

Done.

Come on up for lobstah. Good eat'n at the sea coast.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #15
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Done.

Come on up for lobstah. Good eat'n at the sea coast.
Strangely, I bought the car locally, but the owner was in FL. So I gotta go south too! He needs to drive it again!

And BONUS, eat Crabs here, eat Crabs in FL, eat Bugs in NH/ME! Such is the life of the omnivore!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #16
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I started with one Model A, then got another and then got two V8s at the same time. Thinking about car no. 5 now. Just going a little crazy, but why not?
Okay, I have an 800 number for you, my friend! We can beat this if we do it together!

Ooops the 800 number is for Barrett-Jackson!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Jeff, I never met a '35 Ford, of any body style, that I didn't like, or didn't want to own , and now that that old gal is out of the dimly lit garage that she's spent the last 50+ years in, she's looking mighty nice to me! A trunk back fordor sedan makes an excellent touring car. The flatback sedans are real nice until you really need to get at something that's packed in the rear of the storage area behind the rear seat back, with all your luggage and other baggage piled on the rear seat. Just ask me how I know about this.
We need to get your list of items on that car taken care of because there was some talk going on at Tulsa about the possibilities of a tour to some meeting point in the Northwest and then from there on up to Alaska. I expressed an interest in going along on that tour if the plans become a reality.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #18
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Jeff, I never met a '35 Ford, of any body style, that I didn't like, or didn't want to own , and now that that old gal is out of the dimly lit garage that she's spent the last 50+ years in, she's looking mighty nice to me! A trunk back fordor sedan makes an excellent touring car. The flatback sedans are real nice until you really need to get at something that's packed in the rear of the storage area behind the rear seat back, with all your luggage and other baggage piled on the rear seat. Just ask me how I know about this.
We need to get your list of items on that car taken care of because there was some talk going on at Tulsa about the possibilities of a tour to some meeting point in the Northwest and then from there on up to Alaska. I expressed an interest in going along on that tour if the plans become a reality.
Hi Everyone, JM, I expect you'll be getting behind the wheel here soon, and a nice 'parts needed' inventory. Your wonderful wife won't notice what I lift off your place at all! Onward to the land of the Midnight Sun!

JM gave consultation before before purchase.

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #19
tub1

enjoy both cars don't sell, money that you may make, will be lost looking for another sedan nothing like windows on a unpleasant day ,nothing like no windows on a pleasant day that's why I have both now start looking for a coupe
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #20
Cecil/WV

Jeff, It had slipped my mind(nothing new) that you told me about buying this '35 at the last club meeting. I like that car better than the slant back. As for a trip to Alaska, I am probably in, although I am not sure why? Ron Stauffer called me a couple of weeks before Tulsa and asked me if I had ever thought about driving my Ford to Alaska and I said "not much", but we'll see! I'm not one to drive my Ford very far! Lol
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote