Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #101
ryanheacox

Default Re: Sudden rough running, out of ideas

I was under the impression that the engine won't idle low regardless of what the carb settings are and that it runs smoothly now. I could be wrong though, it has happened before once or twice.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #102
30 Closed Cab PU

Hi Ryan, you are probably correct, we'll see what he comes back with. I am just having issues trying to keep all the posts straight with my memory, which needs an upgrade, I think my brain is still working off floppies disks.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #103
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
I was under the impression that the engine won't idle low regardless of what the carb settings are and that it runs smoothly now. I could be wrong though, it has happened before once or twice.
That is correct. It's always a dilemma whether to continue these long threads, even though the title may become inaccurate, or start a new thread but lose the discussion history.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #104
ryanheacox

Understandable. Too bad you can't change the name of the thread now. Either way, keep us updated on how this ends up going.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #105
Forddan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
That is correct. It's always a dilemma whether to continue these long threads, even though the title may become inaccurate, or start a new thread but lose the discussion history.
Start a new thread with a link to this one and a short summary explaining why the link.

Cheers
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #106
Ed in Maine

These are very good suggestions to follow up on. You might try running the engine in the dark to see if there is any arcing around the coil, distributer or plugs which would result in a miss fire. You may have a cracked plug porcelain or distributer body. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:24 PM   #107
alexiskai

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Steve from Bert's is generously helping me via email with some steps. The vacuum gauge will arrive this weekend.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #108
mike657894

I really recently got lucky and found a problem that has been plaguing me. I just noticed the other day while chasing what i thought might be the problem. I find that my upper plate and maybe the groove in the distributor was very worn allowing the top plate to make side to side movement. which altered my point gap effectively altering timing and dwell. which causes all kinds of problems like those you are describing. And a new timing adjustment or points setting would make it run better or worse. I only noticed this after doing some work in the distributor and setting points to only stall out when I went to take off at more than the crawl required to back out. take off the top of your distributor and push on your upper plate and see if the point gap alters. you may need a distributor rebuild. here is my thread may be helpful. Im not saying its your problem but ya gotta check everything. After finding this out and making a point setting in the middle of the movement I had my best run in months. I think im going to buy a full new distributor for my self. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273151
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #109
alexiskai

I had my distributor rebuilt by Renner's earlier this year, so the body itself is probably not the issue, but Steve is going to suggest some tests in case it's related to one of the electrical components.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #110
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
I had my distributor rebuilt by Renner's earlier this year, so the body itself is probably not the issue, but Steve is going to suggest some tests in case it's related to one of the electrical components.
Steve at Bert's is great. Thought for a long time I was having issues with a Bert's rebuilt carb I purchased. Ends up my issues were a combination of modern wireless plates, and a very slight exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold/muffler joint (exhaust was getting into the carb air intake).
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #111
alexiskai

Yeah, I thought it might be an exhaust leak but I took care of that with high-temp RTV. Still might be the plates, have to see.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #112
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Steve at Bert's is great. Thought for a long time I was having issues with a Bert's rebuilt carb I purchased. Ends up my issues were a combination of modern wireless plates, and a very slight exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold/muffler joint (exhaust was getting into the carb air intake).

I know this post is old, but I have an exhaust leak, I think. I see black soot at the end of the exhaust manifold and a little bit around the muffler/manifold joint. You are saying that can cause issues? I have rough running among other issues.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #113
alexiskai

So in the end it turned out that the rough running was due to a hardened exhaust valve seat coming loose. That's... rare.

If you do have an exhaust leak, the exhaust gases can get sucked into the carb, replacing some of the air and inhibiting performance. I'm not sure if soot by itself is an indicator of that though.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #114
CatMan1

Quote:
So in the end it turned out that the rough running was due to a hardened exhaust valve seat coming loose. That's... rare.

If you do have an exhaust leak, the exhaust gases can get sucked into the carb, replacing some of the air and inhibiting performance. I'm not sure if soot by itself is an indicator of that though.

It's just got to be the case here. I know that the one time I was able to drive this car it seemed very......'truckish' like a 70's Chevy pickup with an exhaust leak when your driving it, but you don't hear it when idling; although I do hear it when it's idling. I get that an 'A' is not a quite vehicle on the highway, but there is nothing....sweet and romantic about the sound of this one!
Old 06-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #115
alexiskai

I took a look at your original thread, my recommendation would be to leave this thread in the dustbin of history and start a new one. I think your engine and mine have different problems.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #116
CatMan1

Quote:
I took a look at your original thread, my recommendation would be to leave this thread in the dustbin of history and start a new one. I think your engine and mine have different problems.

You are right. However the system wouldn't let me send a Private Message to that member so that's why I jumped in the thread. Didn't know what else to do.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #117
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
You are right. However the system wouldn't let me send a Private Message to that member so that's why I jumped in the thread. Didn't know what else to do.
I think he quit the board, he hasn't posted in over six months.