Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
F&J

Default Please Help ID a 31 exhaust heater, odd shape

Hi, I bought my first Model A "keeper" this summer. (barn-rust condition, but perfect mechanical driving/stopping). It is a Martin Parry huckster 1931, sold new up near the Vermont border in western/central Mass. (cold climate)

The manifold heater is an odd shape that no one around my area has seen before. It sweeps down to the pipe attachment area, and it's shapes & mass seems to be getting the most heat possible? The problem is no casted name and worse yet, the tin cover is long gone. I will make a cover at some point, but would like to know what kind it is, or if you have seen one to get a look/fabrication idea of the cover I need to make. Thanks, Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1455.jpg (54.2 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1456.jpg (48.2 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1457.jpg (75.7 KB, 234 views)
F&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Please Help ID a 31 exhaust heater, odd shape

I saw an identical one at Hershey this year. It was the first one I've seen too. Someone mentioned it might be an early Autolite. No confirmation, but maybe it a direction to look in. It's certainly wild looking. So there's at least two of them in the world!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
F&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
So there's at least two of them in the world!
Terry
Thanks, Terry...hey, did it have a cover? If no that's ok, but if it did, can you recall the shapes? ...like only flat metal or formed with curves like a front fender?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
WHN

I think Martin Parry went out of business in 1930. This does not mean one of their bodies could not have made it to a 31 truck frame. I would confirm frame VIN number for correct production year. Enjoy.

Last edited by WHN; 10-26-2017 at 07:00 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Chris Haynes

Here is one that shows the cover. http://www.2040-parts.com/ford-model...ater-i1694224/
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Wick

Best to just find a autolite heater and cover and replace it. One other thing.... get a filter to put inside your glass fuel bowl. Replace that rubber fuel line with a metal one,it's a engine fire waiting to happen.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
F&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I think Martin Perry went out of business in 1930. This does not mean one of their bodies could not have made it to a 31 truck frame. I would confirm frame VIN number for correct production year. Enjoy.
Thanks, I bought it without really worrying about the year... Not even sure how we came up with 31, maybe the radiator shell design? I can get the engine number. I am not taking the body off for any repairs....what else can determine the year? here is a recent, but distant pic that shows nothing really. but I can take pics of whatever, or look for certain parts styles? I believe the low miles showing, mid 60,000s.

also a strange aftermarket twin inside mirror bracket with clock, placed over two old mirror holes.

I am working on the wood right now, not redoing it all, only conserving what is ok. I can get some color back on some of the body, but all fenders are just too rusty for my tastes. This truck was for a rug and mattress cleaning company ! I am uncovering letters carefully. Disregard the lunch box and axe heads in that pic...I was forced to take those things as a joke from an estate seller guy..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1307.jpg (65.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1304.jpg (71.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1317.jpg (42.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1446.jpg (28.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
F&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Awesome, Thanks ! I can make that ...I see that upper periscope opening must be a place for a straight pipe to go thru the firewall adapter which is still there. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Best to just find a autolite heater and cover and replace it. One other thing.... get a filter to put inside your glass fuel bowl. Replace that rubber fuel line with a metal one,it's a engine fire waiting to happen.
Yes, just working on wood this winter, not running it. The gas tank insides...I cannot believe it ...it looks like a stainless steel sink bottom! Not one speck of rust! This truck stops like a small car with power brakes...not tried it at speeds but over to the neighbors and back. Can't believe that either! Fun so far! never selling it,
Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J View Post
Thanks, I bought it without really worrying about the year... Not even sure how we came up with 31, maybe the radiator shell design? I can get the engine number. I am not taking the body off for any repairs....what else can determine the year? here is a recent, but distant pic that shows nothing really. but I can take pics of whatever, or look for certain parts styles? I believe the low miles showing, mid 60,000s.

also a strange aftermarket twin inside mirror bracket with clock, placed over two old mirror holes.

I am working on the wood right now, not redoing it all, only conserving what is ok. I can get some color back on some of the body, but all fenders are just too rusty for my tastes. This truck was for a rug and mattress cleaning company ! I am uncovering letters carefully. Disregard the lunch box and axe heads in that pic...I was forced to take those things as a joke from an estate seller guy..
Engine number and frame number would be the same if engine is original to truck. Check engine number for production release date, you can find on line.

Production release date is the date engine was approved for installation on a frame, at time of installation, engine number would have been stamped on frame.

You really need to see frame number to confirm year. Engines come and go.

Would be nice if numbers matched. Enjoy you new truck.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Great looking huckster! The mirror with a clock in it was an option back then. They may have just put two mirrors together to increase the view to the rear. Clean it up, resilver it and take the clock in to be serviced and you will have a nice era piece.

Mike
Old 10-27-2017, 04:55 AM   #11
F&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Great looking huckster! The mirror with a clock in it was an option back then. They may have just put two mirrors together to increase the view to the rear. Clean it up, resilver it and take the clock in to be serviced and you will have a nice era piece.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I will take that mirror bracket off again and take pictures. It is a factory made bracket with twin ball ends that was made to hold these two mirrors. None of us oldtimers in the hobby have ever seen one before. I did not see any makers mark, and was not expecting to, really. I know it is not a Martin Parry mirror, meaning installed by that company, as there are two other holes in the wood header behind it for a normal mirror bracket.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #12
J.niven

I have the same manifold on my 28 tudor. I haven't been able to find anything about it.
J.niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

Frank,
The pictures you posted show two things that I would advise you correct before driving that Model "A." First, the gas filter and rubber fuel lines are a fire hazard because of their proximity to the exhaust manifold. Second, the fan belt is too small and bottomed-out in the fan pulley.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #14
F&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.niven View Post
I have the same manifold on my 28 tudor. I haven't been able to find anything about it.
Thanks, I will just make a cover like the one posted in this thread. I have a lot to do besides that, but I did get matching old wood to repair the areas of the wood floor and a couple other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Frank,
The pictures you posted show two things that I would advise you correct before driving that Model "A." First, the gas filter and rubber fuel lines are a fire hazard because of their proximity to the exhaust manifold. Second, the fan belt is too small and bottomed-out in the fan pulley.
Yes, in time I will get to all that. Right now the tank is drained, I'm working on wood repairs first, getting the doors to fit correctly. A few pieces of wood are almost gone, but so much of the rest is honestly perfect...very odd.