Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Repro Parts That Don't Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry022 View Post
What is amazing is original parts fit fine, yet the best technology to manufacture those components is over 80 years old and here we are today with incredible design, casting and machining technology and just look at all the junk out there.
The original Ford Engineering prints are available to manufacture new Model A parts and they still don't fit. Go figure.
Like I said it is a matter of money. If one were to do a search you will come across a thread where Brent speaks to the cost of creating the dies for sheet metal parts. I think Mr. Stipe also chimed in about his dies as well. "today with incredible design, casting and machining technology" I say again, how many would pay over a $1000.00 a fender or maybe more?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #22
DougVieyra

In the early days of the MODEL A TIMES, the quarterly magazine was quite useful in giving reviews of reproduction products to help separate the junk from the 'good stuff'. Sadly, much of that 'product evaluation' has been lost.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
In the early days of the MODEL A TIMES, the quarterly magazine was quite useful in giving reviews of reproduction products to help separate the junk from the 'good stuff'. Sadly, much of that 'product evaluation' has been lost.
That's why I dropped my subscription.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:17 AM   #24
Oldbluoval

In the major scheme of things the demand is so low, relatively speaking, that the lowest level of engineering is employed. Economic order/manufacture quantities do not allow for sophisticated methods to be employed. You get what you get....yep China!
Also I think ford royalties and licensing still kick in on parts built from drawings with any connotation as being replacement Ford?
Better plan on fixing what you have as original parts and move along. Not much gets better but thanks to folks like A&L and the few low production folks that do make stuff that works!!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote