Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
SSsssteamer

Default Repro Parts That Don't Fit

I just finished up a '31 PU restoration and I though a heads up for the "Ford Barn" was needed for the Repro parts that didn't fit. I purchased the reproduction parts from several parts suppliers so I cannot fault just one of the suppliers.
*Distributor rotors had a large 0.1" spark gap. Rotor spark gap should have only been a 0.025 " gap.
*Speedometer cable to the speedo drive's round retaining nut was made of pot metal and in only hand tightening, the cable's nut crumbled into pieces.
*The reproduction headlight switch body didn't fit into the bottom of the steering column. The reproduction light switch body is not shouldered correctly.
*The new exhaust pipe clamp had a too small of inside diameter to fit around the exhaust manifold. I used an old clamp rather than spending the time grinding out the new part to fit.
*The 1930 - 31 model A new tail light parts and lenses will not easily interchange with the original A Ford tail lights.
*The new flimsy 1930 -31 emergency brake lever is made of much thinner metal than the original Ford part, and the lever can easily bend. Replate an original emergency brake lever instead of buying a cheaply made reproduction.
* Polarity of the new amp meter was reversed. I had to reverse the wires from that of what an original amp meter would have been wired.
With enough filing and repair, most parts can eventually fit. The best advice is to buy original Ford parts for these areas of new misfits. Do you know of any other reproduction misfits?
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Repro Parts That Don't Fit

Four or 5 problems in an entire restoration, I would say you were very lucky! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
Sunnybrook Farm

I can't list all the bad ones I ran into but one of the most spectacular was the bumper clamps that were really just bolts with the heads in pot metal. They looked good but the bumper blew off in the road when a dog ran in front of me on a four lane road. Didn't hurt the dog as the bumper flexed and absorbed the blow, nice scratches on the chrome. Also a 28-29 radiator shell that would not fit original radiators, dash panel that wouldn't fit.... I better stop as I could almost build a car with the junk I bought over the years.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
SSsssteamer

Years ago, I found the same pot metal bumper clamps sold by Rick's. Nowadays, the repo bumper clamps that I have bought, they now have been made of steel. Again, for those building up a model A Fords, on these items mentioned, please look twice towards finding restorable original parts instead of buying these substandard repro parts. Attached are a couple of pictures of the couple of pic ups that I put together this winter. The black 1930 is yard art. The 1931 is painted Gull Grey, a 1931 color. The Gull Grey looks better in real life than in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Ford Yard Art small file.jpg (94.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 1931 Ford PU small file.jpg (77.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
rogerkb1936

just yesterday a friend showed up with a new rear mainshaft (trans). his original second-high slider would start on the splines but not go far, and he thot i might have one that would fit. after trying more than 15, we found one that did go on. had to be a well-worn original. this shaft came from new york.

Last edited by rogerkb1936; 03-21-2016 at 09:42 AM.
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

'30-31 Cowl Light arms, these from Snyder's but most of the vendors carry the same junk. Made by Vintique. Ask your vendor who makes the part before purchase, may save you some heartburn.

Holes don't line up;

Self-explanatory...

Worse yet! They claim they were "Made in USA".

Finally got some originals from Bert's that I had to have re-chromed. (Expensive...)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-20-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
ModAfan

I have a drawer full of substandard, unusable repro parts. I bought them from four different purveyors of junk, and it would cost more to return them than they are worth. The purveyors know that, of course, and that is why they continue to send us this worthless stuff. What a difference it would make if the purveyors of junk used some quality control on the parts they send us. Henry would not be amused if he could see what these companies are sending us in plastic packages with his good name on them.
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

These repro parts dealers should be on "Dancing With the Stars"! They sure are talented at dancing around the basic issue of quality control. They also excel at "Creative Excuse Writing 101"! Does it really cost any extra to make a part to correct specifications instead of to a wrong dimension? Take the emergency brake lever as an example: How much more would it cost to use the correct gauge metal? 20 cents per lever? 50 cents? It's not much, that's for sure! Off shore manufacturers can produce any quality level the customer desires and pays for. Surely these repro dealers are capable of exercising due diligence in ensuring that OEM standards are being met by the factories they contract with.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Many times a reputable Dealer of parts do not know about quality parts unless we tell them. Case in point:

I bought the round bushing that houses the spark and throttle rods in top of the steering column. The diameter was oversize because of the plating thickness. I sanded it down the 0 .004.

Called the Supplier, talked to their Tech person and he said they would advise their Supplier and correct the situation.

Message is, sometimes we need to tell our Suppliers when we get parts that don't fit.

I try to buy based on description rather than price. Snyders often offer two levels of quality.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
glenn in camino

I buy all my repo parts from Brattons and I'm almost always satisfied. stay away from cast iron chassis parts, even from Brattons.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #11
ian Simpson

The only gripe I have is with the quality of the nuts and bolts supplied. I have had to replace the bolts for tie rod ends and motor mounts this year already. Both were too short and not even to Grade 2 strength where at least Grade 5 is required. Got replacements from local fastener store. Had heck of a job drilling for split pins in Grade 5 bolts. Could not do it in Grade 8 bolts.

Never had a problem other than this with parts supplied by George Moir in Stoney Plain. I will tell Dwayne and Terry about my concerns the next time I drop by.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

All the car marques and years have the same problems. The after market makes a fraction of the same part as compared to OEM and at a higher cost.

What we can do is post who makes the best reproduction part and buy from them if OEM from Berts is not a choice for you.

Possibly some of the real junk will go away ().

As long as we as owners shop by price alone we get what we deserve.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:09 AM   #13
SSsssteamer

Price doesn't always indicate the quality of the parts. I purchased a model A modern valve kit for a bargain of a price. The valves were all stainless and the kit of excellent quality all of the way around. The valve kit was only $116 from Mike's A Ford-able Parts. What looked to be the same kit at $154 for the set from Mac's, it would have cost me $38 more. The best buy that I had was a new narrow pickup bed from Mac's. Its regular price was $1,600 and I got a Christmas sale price at 10% off from that. The bed came knocked down, fit perfectly and it looked like new old stock when installed. I had an original A Ford bed to compare it with and the new bed exceeded all of my expectations.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
Price doesn't always indicate the quality of the parts. I purchased a model A modern valve kit for a bargain of a price. The valves were all stainless and the kit of excellent quality all of the way around. The valve kit was only $116 from Mike's A Ford-able Parts. What looked to be the same kit at $154 for the set from Mac's, it would have cost me $38 more. The best buy that I had was a new narrow pickup bed from Mac's. Its regular price was $1,600 and I got a Christmas sale price at 10% off from that. The bed came knocked down, fit perfectly and it looked like new old stock when installed. I had an original A Ford bed to compare it with and the new bed exceeded all of my expectations.

Not exactly what i was trying to get across. If one were to look at, say, bratton's catalog, you will find items of the same description but one will be labeled best available and one will not. The price on the best available would be way higher than the other. Why have both if one is better the the other?

Let's take fenders. Front fenders from Mike's, are $490.00 each and all made by the same company. If we do a search on this forum will will find several threads on the modifications necessary to make them fit perfect as the factory ones. How many people here have actually done the modifications or just bolted them as as good enough? Would we be willing to pay $1000.00 each to have "perfect" ones available?

This is what I meant by shopping by price. The VAST majority of those that read this site are of the "good enough", why bother making it perfect enough to be judged variety, not that there is anything wrong with that. While there are owners willing, there is just not enough owners willing to spend the $1000.00 a fender to get them remade for the masses.

Good enough is good enough.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #15
john in illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I buy all my repo parts from Brattons and I'm almost always satisfied. stay away from cast iron chassis parts, even from Brattons.
Cast iron suspension parts are the worst example of bad parts. I had both front and rear spring mounting u bolt pads break just from snugging up to roll car around. Also many original style shackles are cast and will fail. These parts are very dangerous.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Cast iron suspension parts are the worst example of bad parts. I had both front and rear spring mounting u bolt pads break just from snugging up to roll car around. Also many original style shackles are cast and will fail. These parts are very dangerous.

John
Much of what is sold as "cast iron" these days is not made from pure pig iron but contains a significant quantity of scrap metal. This alters the strength and other characteristics of the finished product.

For example when we married nearly fifty years ago my wife and I could only afford a little cast iron hibachi to use for barbequing. It never rusted in all the years we used it. The grills on our current expensive one year old BBQ have nearly rusted through despite being frequently cleaned and treated with cooking oil.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #17
FrankWest

Everything is junk today, and has been for the past 40 years or so.
Try to get original stuff, or at least second market stuff made around the time the car was produced. I bought a exhaust manifold from Brattons.....I hope it was not a mistake and I should have looked for an original. I was worried about getting a warped original...Maybe I got a piece of "#&7*&*" New one?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
brito36

I currently have a large box filled with reproduction junk that either didn't look right or just didn't fit. I must have 100 examples of this junk that I have been saving for the past fifty plus years. Nothing fits and functions like the original stuff Henry made. One day I will probably come to a swap and give this garbage away for free..................
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #19
steve s

I once wrote a little piece about my Ford's restoration saga subtitled, "Nothing Fits." That was about 20 years ago. I had bought a few things from Ricks but got almost everything from Snyders, and I was immensely grateful for their existence. Eventually, I discovered that if you asked Snyders point-blank when placing your order, they were totally candid about the quality of anything they sold, however, if you didn't ask, they would just shamelessly ship it off. And, you'd best ask about every single item. I remember how astounded I was to discover that the basic rules or expectations of quality control or company pride just seemed to not exist in the world of repro parts. Even more eventually, I realized that a lot of suppliers in fact do take a lot of pride in running a fair and honest operation, including Snyders, of course. I've yet to experience the least bit of hesitancy from them when I return something that I was not satisfied with, for any reason. Just be sure to ask up front if you want to avoid surprises.

My impression is that things have gotten much better in recent years, but it's still the Wild West when dealing with individuals working out of their basement or garage. Some are wonderful; some not so much.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #20
barry022

What is amazing is original parts fit fine, yet the best technology to manufacture those components is over 80 years old and here we are today with incredible design, casting and machining technology and just look at all the junk out there.
The original Ford Engineering prints are available to manufacture new Model A parts and they still don't fit. Go figure.
barry022 is offline   Reply With Quote