Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
t-head

Default Model "A" Tudor Being Repaired Along With Mule and Wagon in a Gas Station Photo

As promised in Part I, a horse of a different color presents itself here in this photo. To be a bit more precise about it, the faithful four-legged friend parked on the left looks like a mule to us. Easily forgotten today is just how long horses and their near relatives remained on the scene in the cities of America providing necessary service, and not only in the South. The Ford Model “A” on the right might have been around almost as long as that old mule. See it an another view of the station on The Old Motor.

Last edited by t-head; 05-31-2013 at 07:15 AM.
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Model "A" Tudor Being Repaired Along With Mule and Wagon in a Gas Station Photo

Nicely composed shot! We had an old farmer who used to come plow our land with a horse and wagon in the early 50s. Then there was Becker's Diary that had horse drawn wagons until the late 50s. And also there were the Tramps (Rummies, junkies, hobos,?) who would rent a wagon and horse for $3 a day and collect junk. This was in Essex Co, NJ. (Tony Sopranoland). But by 1960 this was all gone! Any other guys on Fordbarn who are from that time and place?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Bill in Al

Default Re: Model "A" Tudor Being Repaired Along With Mule and Wagon in a Gas Station Photo

We lived in Birmingham Al in the late 1940's in a suburb with fifty by one hundred feet lots.My father owned the lot next door to our home and would borrow or rent a mule and plow from someone and plow the vacant lot. That became our vegetable garden. Terry,that wasn't N.J. but I imagine most of the country had similar happenings!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Richard/Ca

I use to walk to school back in the 50's and in the spring there was a farmer who would be out plowing his field with a team of horses and everyone else would be using tractors. Some times I would be late for school because I would stop and watch him. The gays with tractors I had no interest in watching. This was in Central California. Richard/Ca
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Art Bjornestad

When I was a kid in Chicago in 1946 there was a guy with a horse drawn wagon going down alleys delivering block ice for peoples ice boxes.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
Rock Hornbuckle

My Grandfather (born 1884 Honeymooned in a Studebaker buggy drawn by two white horses), hated automobiles. Claimed he'd rather depend on a good Missouri mule than a tin lizzie! He claimed that if the mule broke down, he could always eat it.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote