Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Original Coil Dependability

Yawn...... if something is good I don't have a problem sharing either. If bad the same.

Guess we all go back to fords.... or non fords.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-06-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #22
Hoop

"One of the neatest aspects of all of this is that Skip has built this reputation over a long time period by continually turning-out a bullet proof, first class product.."

DD, I would not describe G.M./Skip's coils as "bullet proof." Two local friends of mine each managed to destroy their rebuilt units ... BOTH THEIR FAULT, leaving the key on or miswiring the coil.

Coils are good, of course, but are not going to take that kind of abuse.

Such damage is not included in any warranty. Don't know if anyone else has had a similar experience ... I have some unique buddies.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #23
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
George...You are so totally predictable! Take a deep breath and smell the beautiful springtime Florida flowers. Then, go back and CAREFULLY re-read what I said. My post showed nothing but "high praise" for Skip as well as the duly noted and hi-lighted "GOOD" coils that he has forever, and quietly turned-out. That's the entire, key element to my statement.....Skip has very quietly and humbly earned THE reputation of turning-out the ONE & ONLY, time-tested, dependable and fully-guaranteed old Ford coil available ANYWHERE on the planet......period! He's virtually a legend in his own time in the old Ford flathead V8 world. One of the neatest aspects of all of this is that Skip has built this reputation over a long time period by continually turning-out a bullet proof, first class product......NOT by running his mouth or tooting his own horn every time someone mentions a flathead coil. It's just not necessary when so many of his loyal customers are so pleased with his product that THEY do his (extensive) advertising for him. The quality of Skip's product and service is so-truly unique in this world today. His reputation is cast in stone. Yet predictably, and in spite of Skip's solid and unprecedented niche in the old Ford coil rebuilding business, we all wait with eyes rolling, for G.M. to again jump up on the stump and begin the requisite pounding of the chest while once again touting and defending the laurels of Skip's coils. As long as most of us old-geezer Ford guys keep breathing fresh air, and with more and more flathead V8s being resurrected every day, Skip's business will continue to thrive on a well-earned word of mouth reputation, and without the chest-pounding. It just couldn't be any better! DD
Standby for more Florida "pitches" as you call them. There are still
old Ford owners out there with coil problems that never heard of Skip.
Coils keep coming to him every day. It makes me wonder just how
many early V/8s are out there. Coils come to him from all over the
world and heard out about his coils right here on this site. Dos any-
one have an idea of just how many early V/8s are out there? G.M.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #24
Charlie ny
BANNED

Let's get something squared away....George Mitchell is a self made BILLION AIRE.....
it was George who came up with the technology , technique and promotion to allow
us all to run these coils. A couple guys....Redmond and then Carpenter tried and failed,
Along the way the coil 'dry out guy' did his best but failed too. What has prevailed
is GM's technical expertise. Certainly without SKIP to implement GM's expertise we'd
all be running NAPA tube coils. Who wouldn't be proud.

Yep George talks but he walks like he talks. Production welding around the world was modernized thanks to George.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #25
Bill

What Charlie said 100%. Without continued promotion your product will never succeed longterm. I have visited Georges/Skips shop on a number of occasions. Skip is always busy rebuilding coils or water pumps. He will hardly stop and talk to you he just keeps working. Beautiful employee! George on the other hand always has time to talk, show you his latest invention etc. always an adventure to talk to George.
A hands on guy with people skills that won't quit. Every old Ford guy would be lucky to spend half an hour with George and Skip... Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #26
Hoop

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
"What Charlie said 100%. Without continued promotion your product will never succeed longterm. I have visited Georges/Skips shop on a number of occasions. Skip is always busy rebuilding coils or water pumps. He will hardly stop and talk to you he just keeps working. Beautiful employee! George on the other hand always has time to talk, show you his latest invention etc. always an adventure to talk to George."

"Beautiful employee!" Ok, well, that explains G.M.'s sales pitches. He owns the business, and Skip is his employee.

Now it makes sense.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #27
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"What Charlie said 100%. Without continued promotion your product will never succeed longterm. I have visited Georges/Skips shop on a number of occasions. Skip is always busy rebuilding coils or water pumps. He will hardly stop and talk to you he just keeps working. Beautiful employee! George on the other hand always has time to talk, show you his latest invention etc. always an adventure to talk to George."

"Beautiful employee!" Ok, well, that explains G.M.'s sales pitches. He owns the business, and Skip is his employee.

Now it makes sense.
Hey Hoop, Skip don't work for me, the coils and water pumps are Skip own
deal. I just let him use my shop and try to help him a little. It costs me time
and money. No income from this deal. G.M.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post

Now it makes sense.

Kind of interesting to remember that it's always been "Skip's Coils" that everyone refers to...NOT "George's Coils"! You can bet that without Skip's long-term dedication and demeanor, we all might very well be buyin' NAPA coils today. It must just be me, but I've never had any need for someone that regularly brags-on or self-promotes themselves or their product. Now, PAID advertising....that's an entirely different story! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #29
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
What Charlie said 100%. Without continued promotion your product will never succeed longterm. I have visited Georges/Skips shop on a number of occasions. Skip is always busy rebuilding coils or water pumps. He will hardly stop and talk to you it he just keeps working. Beautiful employee! George on the other hand always has time to talk, show you his latest invention etc. always an adventure to talk to George.
A hands on guy with people skills that won't quit. Every old Ford guy would be lucky to spend half an hour with George and Skip... Bill

Amen to that Bill!! ....and I've also been there several times, including once with you and a couple of your friends. That picture you sent me while sitting in George's '39 is a classic picture that I didn't have in my collection, lol!! I've also sat with Skip while he was building/rebuilding coils, one of which belonged to an EFV-8 Club member of RG36 who heard I was planning to stop in and see George and Skip. Skip did his coil while I watched, and I brought it back to my friend all nicely rebuilt. Great times and many memories visiting those two guys!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-06-2020 at 04:19 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #30
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Let's get something squared away....George Mitchell is a self made BILLION AIRE.....
it was George who came up with the technology , technique and promotion to allow
us all to run these coils. A couple guys....Redmond and then Carpenter tried and failed,
Along the way the coil 'dry out guy' did his best but failed too. What has prevailed
is GM's technical expertise. Certainly without SKIP to implement GM's expertise we'd
all be running NAPA tube coils. Who wouldn't be proud.

Yep George talks but he walks like he talks. Production welding around the world was modernized thanks to George.
Charlie ny
Charlie....you nailed it....my friend!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 04-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #31
Hoop

G.M., I have to go out to my shop and gather up a few coils to send to Skip.

High school graduation is coming up soon, and they make great gifts. Usually I stock up for June weddings but those may be slow this year due to the virus.

Glad that coil rewinding is considered essential and that Skip provides take-out.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #32
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This is starting to sound awful familiar.
Yep me too!!!!!!!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #33
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Yep me too!!!!!!!!!
???????????????????????????????????????????????
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #34
35fordtn

Skip is the Man. He does usually 4 or 5 coils a month for us. Have I ever had one go bad, well yes, but out of over 150 he has done for me I have had four failures, and three of which were user error I do believe for certain.

The forth was in use for a fairly constant 5 years and he fixed it with no questions asked and was returned in a week. It just doesn't get any better. Not to mention for a mere 75 bucks.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #35
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Alan I know you only from your time here, respect your anonymity. More on the hamb also. But yes, some things are obvious. Don't mean it's wrong.

Tinker, I'm not anonymous, by any means! I'm Alan Simpson, I have never been on the Hamb, and I haven't the foggiest idea what you're trying to say?????
Old 04-06-2020, 11:53 PM   #36
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Dos any-
one have an idea of just how many early V/8s are out there? G.M.

There are 107,419 V8s out there currently, plus an additional 217 currently being restored worldwide....times are tough! 16,312 of those V8 Ford bodies currently have Chevy engines installed. 604 of those V8s are V8-60s. Only 11 of those being restored are V8-60s. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:19 AM   #37
JayChicago

This thread got weird. Sounds like the grumpy old men in McDonalds drinking their senior discount coffee all morning, and someone says something that somehow offends another, and then they're off, bickering and sniping at each other.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:24 AM   #38
RobR'35

That's quite a listing V8COOPMAN.
Interesting.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #39
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
This thread got weird. Sounds like the grumpy old men in McDonalds drinking their senior discount coffee all morning, and someone says something that somehow offends another, and then they're off, bickering and sniping at each other.
Good point Jay.... it's quite possible that some of this is due to being "Sheltered in Place", or maybe even "Quarantined" in these uncertain times, but in some cases you just see some folks here who only post to create controversy to begin with, rather than genuinely trying to help a fellow member seeking valid information on their problem or project. You can pick out these offenders quickly....just by reading the posts they've made here on this particular thread.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-10-2020 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 04-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #40
tubman

With all due respect, there is more behind this than you gentlemen seem to know. You probably view me as one of the "offenders", but believe me, if you knew the details, you would see it is actually the other way around.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote