Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
joedaless

Default 1941 Ford Coupe VIN #

Hi ,
I have a 1941 Ford Business Coupe all stock. I have found the VIN # IN TACT EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST NUMBER.Which is the number 1. ACCORDING TO MY 1941-1948 fORD BOOK FROM THE fORD CLUB. IT STATES THAT ALL PREWAR CARS START WITH A 18 SIGNIFING PREWAR. MY NUMBER ON THE FRAME RAIL READS 86732020. I LIVE IN CONNECTICUT AND I HAVE TO HAVE A VIN CHECK.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW WAS IT COMMON FOR THE FRAME RAIL ON A 1941 FORD TO HAVE ALL THE NUMBERS EXCEPT THE 1.

THE TITLE READS WITH THE ONE ALSO. EVERYTHING IS PERFECTLY STAMPED ON THE RAIL BUT THERE IS NO 1.

CAN SOMEONE WITH A 1941 FORD HELP ME OUT OR ANYONE WHO KNOWS IF I'M OK OR WILL I HAVE TROUBLE WITH A VIN READ. I HOPE SOMEONE HAS AN ANSWER THAT I CAN SHOW THE VIN READER THAT IS THE WAY THEY CAME..

ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED,
Thanks for all the support over the years,
Joe D'Alessio
joedaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Capn John

Default Re: 1941 Ford Coupe VIN #

take a look at this to see if it helps!!
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
48Flyer

The way I understand it, is 41 should start with a 1, 42 with a 2, 46 with a 6, 47 with a 7, etc
My 48 coupe vin starts with an *89A
There should be a "star" at the beginning and at the end of the number stamped into the frame also
If completely origiinal, the numbers are stamped on the left(drivers) side frame rail in 3 places, Front near the crossmember, middle about where the door is, and rear about where the axle passes under the frame. It is also stamped into the transmission if it is the original.
Hope this helps, and good luck
48Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

'47-8's added a year designation in front of the old 99 that indicated 239 engines '39-48.
221's '32-48 began with "*18". Before about '47 there was no specific year info, but car year was always obvious and the serial number ranges readily available.
The '41 here likely is either a bad stamping with very shallow stamping for the one, or perhaps a nearly shot 1 stamp mixed into the holder at assembly plant.
Ford considered the power unit stamping on trans (done at the rouge, assembly plants then copied it onto frame) to be the primary ones...I believe a '41 will have a covered slot on toeboard allowing a view, if your trans is original to car.
Lots of Ford folks have the proper stamp sets...do it your self serials are technically highly illegal but if just tickling the frame near an error...don't quote me. Does the frame have the star before and sfter SN? Does it leave a gap where one should be??
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote