Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #21
Kerk

Smile Re: 1936 Ford Rear Tube Shocks Conversion

I have a collection of shock conversion mounts but am not sure what they except for a pair of 35/36 fronts that are labeled and appear to bolt in to original shock mount holes. Wish I could post Pictures as someone could help me identify what they fit. Any one have Pictures of this type of mounts? kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #22
scooder

Default Re: 1936 Ford Rear Tube Shocks Conversion

Yes we do have lots of flexibility in the English language, and it's all the best for it.
I asked about sway bar as its not used over here, it's anti roll bar and panhard bar, so wondered which it was.
Spark plug or candle, not heard that one.
Sorry can't help in the length of them shocks, they look fairly short though.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #23
J Witt

For what it's worth, here are some pix of the rear shock installation on my '36 phaeton. I have no idea who did this in the chain of owners, or who made the mounts, but it all works pretty well. The shock is a Gabriel. Note the angle on the bottom bolt, the bracket has a stamped twist right in the bottom mounting ear to make the bottom fit the brake backing plate.

Looks to me like the brake pull rod has been rubbing on the shock and has been bent a little for clearance. I'll have to have the wheel off and get a closer look at that.

John

Update: The Gabriel tech guy says it's an obsolete shock, but he should be able to xref to a current number. I'll have to get the shock off the car and measure it to get the total travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161117_094516.jpg (26.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_094526.jpg (35.5 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_094554.jpg (35.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_094608.jpg (47.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_094739.jpg (55.4 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_095043_001.jpg (35.0 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_095159.jpg (28.9 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by J Witt; 11-17-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: update
J Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #24
41Joe

About 20 years ago when I had my 41 Merc, I had called Speedway Motors and they made a special shackle with the mount for the shock. Currently they have this setup for the 2" spring, they special made one for the 2-1/4" spring. Worked good, clean and simple.
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #25
1932 V8

JWitt, I believe those are the same mounts I mentioned earlier so thanks for the pictures. I believe those were a kit in the 70's ? 80's ? the past that were offered. I have the same exact setup and a friend has another identical set. They are very simple but they seem to work well . On the inside of the plates there will be raised areas that go into the indent of the radius rod and keep it from twisting. Then the bolts just keep it clamped. I will see if I can dig mine up and take a few pics.
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #26
Kurt in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Witt View Post
For what it's worth, here are some pix of the rear shock installation on my '36 phaeton. I have no idea who did this in the chain of owners, or who made the mounts, but it all works pretty well. The shock is a Gabriel. Note the angle on the bottom bolt, the bracket has a stamped twist right in the bottom mounting ear to make the bottom fit the brake backing plate.

Looks to me like the brake pull rod has been rubbing on the shock and has been bent a little for clearance. I'll have to have the wheel off and get a closer look at that.

John

Update: The Gabriel tech guy says it's an obsolete shock, but he should be able to xref to a current number. I'll have to get the shock off the car and measure it to get the total travel.
in your last picture showing the top mount the red ring of rust dust around it tells me that there is movement in that mounting
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #27
J Witt

You are absolutely right. Found another rattle with that loose mount. Fixed now, but that nut inside the frame was a woolly booger to get a socket on.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #28
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

That's what I'm talking about in post 17...this is going to move, either by loosening or by flexing the flange. Replace it with a through bolt, using a piece of tube spanning the U so that it can be tightened properly.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #29
J Witt

A further update, thanks to J. Murrill. The shock P/N for the '36 is a Gabriel 82007, same as for late 40s Ford cars. They are 1 3/16 bore, eye ends, 11 1/4 inches collapsed, 18 1/4 extended. The pins through the ends are 1/2".

John
Old 07-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #30
Bursonaw

This year I had to pull the rear end to replace a clutch. While the rear was out I finally was able to upgrade to rear tube shocks for my 36 Ford. I have been thinking about this for the last two years when I originally made this post. Special thanks to “D. Conrad” for his post, as it was the inspiration for my project.

I made up some lower brackets out of 1/4 steal and pre-drilled them before I had them welded up. I matched drilled the rear wishbone arms, but some issues drilling them on my drill press so I had a local friend use his Bridgeport and an end mill to drill the holes.

I used the shocks from SoCal speed-shop. When I went to mount the top of shocks I found that the dust covers hit the frame. I had too grind the lip of the rear crossmember to make clearance for the shock. If I had used shocks without the dust covers I would have not had to grind the frame.

In the end, I think the install looks great and could have been done at the factory. I’m looking forward to driving the car soon.

In my research there are no bolt on rear kits currently available for 35-36 Ford rear ends. I thought this was the best solution without welding to the axle housings.

Hope this helps someone else looking to do the same upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote