Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
bosticjb

Default Manifold

Has anybody had any luck with resurfacing their intake & exhaust manifolds, I think I have Warped one
bosticjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
callcoy

Default Re: Manifold

You really should resurface them but keep them bolted together (2 bolts) at the heat riser. If they have been resurfaced several times before you may lose the ability to use your gland rings in the exhaust ports. It is very common for the exhaust manifold to "droop" near the outlet, sometimes so severe that you will not be able to hold a gasket. I have had the best luck with a copper gaskets.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Use the late '31 2 piece copper gaskets. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Conaway2

I wrestled with a warped/sagged exhaust manifold last year - could not get the gland rings to seat or get the copper manifold gasket to seal without the gland rings. I finally bought a new exhaust manifold from Bratton’s - problem immediately solved. I had a local machine shop plane it and the intake manifold assembly bolted together. The exhaust is quiet - no leaks, gland rings all fit, and the new manifold seems to be very well made.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
Sunnybrook Farm

I have not tried it but I have heard of mounting the manifold that has sagged up side down and heating it really hot and putting a weight on the exhaust end and letting it sag back into proper alignment. Also I heard that the manifolds with the extra metal for heaters, autolite I think, are not supposed to sag as badly as the extra metal provides more support, though I think I have seen them sag, don't know.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
Mike Peters

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I just did an exhaust/intake combo at our local machine shop. The owner was busy, so he told me to go ahead and do it myself. It's a flat table with a built in horizontal grinding wheel about 8" in diameter. You can run the wheel up and down to determine the amount of cut. I ran the manifold over that wheel a few times and it came out perfect. No more exhaust leaks. Only enough to clean it up.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
chrs1961815

I recently bought a new one from Snyders as the two originals I had were unusable due to the boss behind the threads being knocked out (would have caused an exhaust leak). I ground some of the casting lines off and cleaned it up - now it looks original but performs like brand new!
Old 08-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Ray in La Mesa

Sunnybrook Farm, I did the upside down/heating trick. I worked but didn't last. The manifold 's heating/cooling history cycle made it return to the warped position. Round filed it & bought a new one, problem solved.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
RonC

Unless it’s show buy the new combo intake and exhaust manifolds. Use gland rings and 2 piece copper show gasket. If you can, add the aries exhaust. You will have a leakless system and a model A sounding like it should
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
Cape Codder

Something to consider!!!!
Before I had my engine rebuilt I had a heater manifold on it. Had engine re-builder surface side of block in area of manifolds. Also had a local machine shop surface the heater manifold along with intake. Was trying to get everything Perfect! Well now I am unable to install the cover of the heater manifold because it will not pass by the distributor!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
rocket1

I had to replace the exhaust manifold recently it had sagged 3/8 of an inch at the back.I purchased a new one bolted the manifolds together and ran a straight edge across them looked darn good installed them with copper gasket and gland rings mission accomplished.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
bosticjb

Thanks for the info
bosticjb is offline   Reply With Quote